Forfar Athletic News 2018 onwards

5 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

How was Mark Gallagher for you lads? Strong rumours in the media he will sign for us imminently as negotiations are complete between Cove and Formartine. 

He played in a friendly for us last week against Dunfermline and held his own well. Clearly got some height, strength and technical ability but for his career to dip like it has there must be some flaws. Is he more defensively minded?

Alongside one or two of Fyvie, Yule, Scully or Sena I think he'll be capable in L1. Whether he's going to get regular starts or be a squad player who knows.

Started well with us but the Irvine effect soon took over.

6 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

How was Mark Gallagher for you lads? Strong rumours in the media he will sign for us imminently as negotiations are complete between Cove and Formartine. 

He played in a friendly for us last week against Dunfermline and held his own well. Clearly got some height, strength and technical ability but for his career to dip like it has there must be some flaws. Is he more defensively minded?

Alongside one or two of Fyvie, Yule, Scully or Sena I think he'll be capable in L1. Whether he's going to get regular starts or be a squad player who knows.

Really good first part of the season with us but seemed to completely lose confidence and ended up having to leave in January 

Thanks for the comments. I seen him a few times for Formartine last year and you could tell he's much better than that level and looked a class above. 

When I saw him at Balmoral last week as one of our trialists I recognised him straight away and could see why we would be interested. 

He's got potential I feel but at 22 he really needs to start flourishing. Our central midfield is our strongest position, weaker in other areas currently, so will be difficult to barge his way in. 

Keeping McKinnon looked unlikely but hopefully a very good thing for you and there's a return to L1 upcoming 💪

27 minutes ago, ScottishLoon said:

It's the complete opposite.

Let's say we have a really good start to the season and we're in the mix for top spot, are we really confident now that he'll be with us the entire season to see it through? Full time clubs know now publicly that he's completely available if they want him.

I'd much rather not that hanging over our club or season even if he's a good manager and we're doing well.

And don't worry btw if things unfortunately don't start well then I'm aware how many people will be changing their opinion.

It's always been the case that if a FT club wants Ray McKinnon that he would go though, I don't think he's ever hidden his ambition manage as high up the ladder as he can. I don't think much has changed there. Did you think Ray was at Forfar until he retires or do you only want him to leave on your terms? 

25 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Absolutely not good enough for league 1 would be my assessment 

2 minutes ago, lwh said:

Absolutely not good enough for league 1 would be my assessment

Your assessment means bugger all tbh, I remember you giving it big licks at the  Jayden Ferguson signing.

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It's always been the case that if a FT club wants Ray McKinnon that he would go though, I don't think he's ever hidden his ambition manage as high up the ladder as he can. I don't think much has changed there. Did you think Ray was at Forfar until he retires or do you only want him to leave on your terms? 

That's precisely my point only it's even more public that we're a lame duck when someone comes in for him, it's my other points that are the main thing I'm thinking about.

9 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

My main issue is I'd rather he bolt now than in the middle of the season. 

54 minutes ago, ScottishLoon said:

That's precisely my point only it's even more public that we're a lame duck when someone comes in for him, it's my other points that are the main thing I'm thinking about.

Any FT club in the country already knew this though, Ray going to talks at FGR changes nothing. I assume you didn't want him sacked prior to this situation?

52 minutes ago, TheClosingArguement said:

My main issue is I'd rather he bolt now than in the middle of the season. 

Did you want him sacked at the start of the summer, or were you hoping no clubs came in for him and he could continue what he started last season? 

14 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Did you want him sacked at the start of the summer, or were you hoping no clubs came in for him and he could continue what he started last season? 

tbh, I'm a lunatic & wanted him sacked after losing 2-0 in Elgin. 

46 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Any FT club in the country already knew this though, Ray going to talks at FGR changes nothing. I assume you didn't want him sacked prior to this situation?

I did actually and it was for different reasons and a bit knee jerk(linked below), then I came round and was trying to be as optimistic as anyone but then this situation brought back the reality that I don't want to commit to a manager who ultimately isn't committed to the club. 

I don't quite see why the passion is there to defend someone who instead of doing the right thing and leaving at the end of the season on good terms and looking for the next full time job, is just disrespecting the club by using us as a shop window.

Maybe people are still scarred by the possibility of hiring someone like Malcolm as manager or appointing someone lazily like Irvine, well to those people it's time to wake up because you are the ones who are actually negative about the club and holding on to that and clouding future opinions.

Edited by ScottishLoon

38 minutes ago, ScottishLoon said:

I did actually and it was for different reasons and a bit knee jerk(linked below), then I came round and was trying to be as optimistic as anyone but then this situation brought back the reality that I don't want to commit to a manager who ultimately isn't committed to the club. 

I don't quite see why the passion is there to defend someone who instead of doing the right thing and leaving at the end of the season on good terms and looking for the next full time job, is just disrespecting the club by using us as a shop window.

Maybe people are still scarred by the possibility of hiring someone like Malcolm as manager or appointing someone lazily like Irvine, well to those people it's time to wake up because you are the ones who are actually negative about the club and holding on to that and clouding future opinions.

Lots of players and managers will use your club as a shop window, it's just the way football is, but fair enough.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Lots of players and managers will use your club as a shop window, it's just the way football is, but fair enough.

There's some OF levels of entitlement from Forfar fans on here. McKinnon may have been a snake in the past but nobody in their right mind surely expects that the limit of his ambition now if managing part time with Forfar? Him jumping at a full time offer to get into English football is inevitable. It fell through in a quite bizarre way. Unless Forfar as a club were actively looking to get rid of him why wouldn't they take him back? It's no different to say Raith Rovers keeping Ian Murray after he interviewed for the Dundee job in the summer. He didn't get it, so he gets on with the job he has.

No club in Scotland can seriously expect not to lose a manager to bigger things at some point if he does well. It happened to Rogers and Postecoglou at Celtic and Gerrard at Rangers. It'll certainly happen to Forfar, Dumbarton and Queen of the South of their managers are any good.

If there was already clamour to get rid of him last week then fair enough but from the outside he looked to have done an ok job since taking over? If there wasn't, then the idea they shouldn't take him back now is plain daft.

The amazement of being classed as entitled for not wanting a manager for completely valid reasons.

Interesting people agree with a lazy opinion of a visiting queen of the south fan over making their own detailed opinion on why they disagree with what I said?

3 hours ago, ScottishLoon said:

So you wouldn't have minded the club not showing him any "loyalty"? Other way round and all hell breaks loose.

I'm finding all the rage over this a bit baffling tbh. We've kept hold of probably the best manager in the league, I really couldn't care less about the circumstances.

Edited by Jupiter Jazz

7 minutes ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

So you wouldn't have minded the club mot showing hiim any "loyalty"? Other way round and all hell breaks loose.

I'm finding all the rage over this a bit baffling tbh. We've kept hold of probably the best manager in the league, I really couldn't care less the circumstances.

Moving on from a manager who openly wants a full time job away from you wouldn't be a lack of loyalty it's common sense.

Craig slater clearly was above our level too but he handled himself and the  club with complete professionalism.

Edited by ScottishLoon

2 minutes ago, ScottishLoon said:

Moving on from a manager who openly wants a full time job away from you wouldn't be a lack of loyalty it's common sense.

That's not why you wanted him punted at that time though.

What's your views on players returning after they've left us? Hilson etc? Would you have Slater back next year?

I don’t think anyone has expected Ray to be here for the full duration of the rolling contract. It was a good opportunity for Ray but for me the timing was poor.

Yesterday’s statement shortly before FGR sacking Ferguson does very much come across like he didn’t choose to stay despite what was said in our statement. The interview with AD did very little to persuade me otherwise.

On that note of statements from the club, I think they were poorly written and didn’t do much to help with allaying concerns. 

2 minutes ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

That's not why you wanted him punted at that time though.

What's your views on players returning after they've left us? Hilson etc? Would you have Slater back next year?

Of course I'd have slater and everyone who treated us with respect back if they would be good for the team and make sense.

Someone like Swankie for example with how he left and treated the club, no chance.

You're clearly missing the point.