Bo'ness United 2018/19

A great game for the neutrals and the half-time score was about right.  Second half though and the old failings up top came home to haunt us.  We just could not score, no matter what.

Best performers today were Syme & my MOTM Will Snowdon, with good support coming from Prentice, MacKenzie & old-head Shirra.

Replacing Aldin with Hunter made no sense at all and the 3 subs at once smacked a little bit of panic.

Based on 2nd half performance? I’m loathe to criticise the guy (other than for the numerous silly bookings for mouthing off) because of how good and loyal a player he’s been, but first half today I didn’t think he wasn’t at the races. A few times first half it looked like Haddington’s forward had him on toast and went by him like he wasn’t even there.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was concerning that in the first half Haddington looked like scoring every time they went up the park. Apart from that I thought there was a lot to like today, but the continuing inability to put the ball in the bloody net just leaves us frustrated and disappointed. Agree the triple substitution was a weird one when, notwithstanding the fact we were still level, the game was actually going quite well. 

Well worth the six quid though! 

2 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

I think Boheesian we all just need to accept that Alan MacKenzie is never ever going to be the type of striker we are looking for.     I have resigned myself to thinking that he is a physically strong wideman in the mould of vintage Chris Donnelly.             Big Alan is a good asset to have in the team but he isn't a striker and our friends in the West told us when he came something like "great guy who works his socks off for the team but he doesn't score anything like enough goals".    You always hope that such predictions prove false and the player will become a goal machine for his new team but alas it's not going to happen.    it's frustrating when you see him outpace, outmuscle and outplay fullbacks and midfielders but when he gets in front of the goals the end product just isn't there.   

Good point. However, we have to take our chances and a few others were guilty of  that.

13 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Based on 2nd half performance? I’m loathe to criticise the guy (other than for the numerous silly bookings for mouthing off) because of how good and loyal a player he’s been, but first half today I didn’t think he wasn’t at the races. A few times first half it looked like Haddington’s forward had him on toast and went by him like he wasn’t even there.

Don't forget his clearance off the line when it was 2-1 to them.  We started with no real protection for our backs but I felt Snowdon & Shirra exchanged passes well and we strengthened at the back when MacKenzie came over to the right, limiting their forward runs leaving Will exposed.

Can anybody tell me,is it true that in this league that in cup games the home side keeps all the gate money. Apart having no gate receipts,and paying for travel the away side also has to pay the wages of one of the linesmen.

4 minutes ago, wee dougie said:

Can anybody tell me,is it true that in this league that in cup games the home side keeps all the gate money. Apart having no gate receipts,and paying for travel the away side also has to pay the wages of one of the linesmen.

Don't know about the EOS cups but in the South Challenge Cup that is correct, except the away club automatically gets travel expenses paid based on the distance travelled: http://slfl.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/SFA-South-Region-Challenge-Cup-guidance-version-2.pdf

1 hour ago, wee dougie said:

Totally correct. 

2 minutes ago, Standalone said:

If unlucky in cup draws, enough to put some clubs out of the game. Very bad rule.

Might well be - if clubs are paying wages beyond their means and relying on Home cup draws.

I believe it was made very clear to clubs before they even joined the EOS that this was the rule so not sure why everyone is upset at this - unless your club is struggling for cash.

Would this have raised its head if Bo’ness had received a home draw in every cup? 

Draws thusfar have handed Bo'ness 6 home/6 away, anyway :unsure2:.

Given your higher home crowds gate-sharing on those played so far (4/4) would clearly have cost you money, AFAICS :unsure::

4 home ties ... total crowds given as 1,114
4 away ties ... total crowds given as 897

I heard some clubs see it and no guarantee system as positive. Perhaps some combination would be most optimal, tbf. However it's hardly going to 'put clubs out of the game' unless they'd foolishly budgeted on multiple cup runs with home draws? Plus in the South Challenge Cup away travel is subsidised.

I'd agree the away side having to pay for 1 linesman (where provided) is more dubious. Guess the thinking is having assistants helps both sides, so both pay, but it is certainly more debateable.

1 hour ago, PatP said:

Might well be - if clubs are paying wages beyond their means and relying on Home cup draws.

I believe it was made very clear to clubs before they even joined the EOS that this was the rule so not sure why everyone is upset at this - unless your club is struggling for cash.

Would this have raised its head if Bo’ness had received a home draw in every cup? 

I did not refer to any club in particular but was considering clubs in general. Still think it is an unfair rule.

6 hours ago, wee dougie said:

Over the course of a few EoSFL seasons this will work out OK for the BU's financially unless we have an outrageous run of away games in the cups.      

Sitting 4th in conference B after 5 games but they have been againts the sides currently placed 7, 8, 10, 11 and 12 in a thirteen club conference .   A decent start but it's not a brilliant one.   

Who has had a brilliant start though? Have the teams above us had a far more difficult run so far?

We’ve a game in hand over the teams in 1st and 3rd place (and most of the rest of the league), then two games in hand over the team in 2nd place, and are one of only two sides yet to lose a game.

12 hours ago, PatP said:

I was not at the negotiations and only asked a simple question. I don't think it merited bringing in inter club rivalries, it's sanctimonious, know alls like you, creating  mischief that can give supporters of other teams a reason to dislike your club.

If I had known the answer I wouldn't have asked the question. There are very few clubs in this league can afford a run of away games.

Like you I'm entitled to my opinion, and that is, I think this is a very poor rule.

Archived