Article 13 and 11 EU vote today - the end of P+B?

https://gizmodo.com/the-end-of-all-thats-good-and-pure-about-the-internet-1826963763

one of many articles about the proposed legislation regrading copyright and internet usage and hosting. Imagine this site without memes? even links to club sites, papers could be subjected to the conditions. 

Would poor old div be able to front up enough money to have a programme in place to stop posts containing copyrighted material?

no-memes-allowed.jpg.041ca518809df9c88d8961ff5ffda769.jpg

Have seen very little coverage of this,  and always a tad suspect when they time these votes  against something like the world cup. 

Let us hope it doesn't go through and  P+B can remain as is in its memetastic and link filled glory.

48 minutes ago, stuckinthecarpark said:

https://gizmodo.com/the-end-of-all-thats-good-and-pure-about-the-internet-1826963763

one of many articles about the proposed legislation regrading copyright and internet usage and hosting. Imagine this site without memes? even links to club sites, papers could be subjected to the conditions. 

Would poor old div be able to front up enough money to have a programme in place to stop posts containing copyrighted material?

no-memes-allowed.jpg.041ca518809df9c88d8961ff5ffda769.jpg

Have seen very little coverage of this,  and always a tad suspect when they time these votes  against something like the world cup. 

Let us hope it doesn't go through and  P+B can remain as is in its memetastic and link filled glory.

D40B0A58-9427-4AE9-86D3-D806ED8E5E1C.jpeg

The early days of the internet were like the Wild West compared to now, and it will only get more censored, curated and controlled by central power, and corporate interests. Looking back in 20 years time, today will seem like the Wild West.

The powerhouses that are Google and Facebook have among other mechanisms teams of 'Progressive' lunatics deciding what is acceptable content and opinion.

Very true P+B of 10 years ago seems like the wild west to nowadays, and i tend not to contribute since i lost my old email account and password. 

GN used to be a good source of information for news, comedy and thoughts you might not have found in your own social circles.  Some of the threads got wild and wouldn't be tolerated now and other platforms and media have created a dilution of the messageboard format. 

I suppose it it is like everything very generational, and old dinosaurs like myself will become more detached from the 'new' internet as we refuse to embrace change.

Ironically i think luddite was a term i had never heard used frequently until i started using this site, and laughed at it being levelled at some of the less savvy posters.

42 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

What is this China?

We're already beyond what we used to accuse China of regarding the internet, before we mysteriously stopped. If anything, we repeatedly look to their approach for ideas.

The EU is all about dictating, but that Jeffries comment is questionable.

So it has been passed i see with little coverage. Who knows what it really means as the wording is very vague and probably purposely so.  As banana pointed out it looks like a way for the bigger players can use legal means to avoid any threat of penalty, where as smaller platforms will likely get punished.

It's essentially a vote to allow a negotiation to take place (and there's another vote on the 4th so wording could be further adopted) and the complete package would be drastically altered.

Not singing their praises for this and saying that there's no issue but we've had similar hysterics with a lot of things in committee that have been drastically changed. Format of having the commission means their focus is often on the quality on the legislation rather than the political argument so we see these sorts of headlines a lot with things rarely coming to fruition.

Archived