Nigeria v Argentina

TheScarf

Two former top level professionals saying that is a penalty. Just shows no matter whether you use VAR or any other method you are on a hiding to nothing because so many people are completely ignorant of the laws of the game.

Imagine being that thick that you think the defender has deliberately headed the ball against his arm in the penalty box.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

That was a genuinely excellent five minutes of tactical analysis by Rio Ferdinand there. And not one mention of England in half an hour.

This is right.

5 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

Rio is really really thick. 

This is wrong.

3 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Rio thick? Strange, he doesn't sound it...

This is right.

Just now, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Gary and Rio disgusted.

Sad.

12e4d5ac-0794-4d2e-8f98-ce14d3a58747.gif.8c6a59df5a351dc65a00249b69dca192.gif

Conclusive proof (as if it were ever needed) that Maradona really is a fucking mess . It would be an act of kindness if he were put out of his misery.

Gazza's a cartoon character compared to him, and I've no time for Gazza's behaviour.

'News of a Croatia goal now filters round the ground' 
Aye, 3 minutes prior when the Argentinians were jumping about in a massive celebratory second wave. I turned it over to see the goal purely based on crowd reaction ffs. [emoji38]

I said that very thing to my missus.

Am I right in thinking once Argentina scored... an Iceland winner would've knocked them out?

The BBC seemed to right off Iceland entirely, and then seemed so slow to point out that Croatia had scored. The game was on another BBC channel for f**k sake. No excuse.

3 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I said that very thing to my missus.

Am I right in thinking once Argentina scored... an Iceland winner would've knocked them out?

The BBC seemed to right off Iceland entirely, and then seemed so slow to point out that Croatia had scored. The game was on another BBC channel for f**k sake. No excuse.

That's cause Iceland are pish

12 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Gary and Rio disgusted.

Sad.

They were. And it's the BBC. Oh I say what terrible terrible behaviour. So, lets see it again...

5 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

They were. And it's the BBC. Oh I say what terrible terrible behaviour. So, lets see it again...

Lineker is kind of right.

He was a contemporary of Maradona's.  He was on the field when Maradona scored the greatest World Cup goal ever - and yes, the second one was decent too.  He visited him for a documentary where they discussed the game at length in Spanish.  I think Lineker probably does feel some genuine sadness at seeing such undignified, unbecoming conduct.

None of this of course alters the fact that tonight's outrage represented a truly magnificent moment, easily the funniest of this World Cup.  A talking head moment to go down in World Cup history.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

He was on the field when Maradona scored the greatest World Cup goal ever - and yes, the second one was decent too

Image result for i see what you did there meme

:) 

24 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Two former top level professionals saying that is a penalty. Just shows no matter whether you use VAR or any other method you are on a hiding to nothing because so many people are completely ignorant of the laws of the game.

Imagine being that thick that you think the defender has deliberately headed the ball against his arm in the penalty box.

This.  Even when Gary Lineker rightly called them out on their BS by going over the laws of the game (I'm shocked and stunned at myself to be even considering Lineker to be the voice of  reason here) those two chumpnuggets were stilling giving it large about how 'it should be a penalty as it was the defender's mistake' and 'I've seen them given numerous times'.  It was quite clearly never a penalty and good on the referee very quickly ruling against after watching the footage again.  Not that it ever should have got to that stage.

Thought the ref was really good, although Cuneyt Ceykir is usually one of the better refs I've seen.  A possible shout for taking charge of the final I would have thought.

29 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Gary and Rio disgusted.

Sad.

So Diego goes all Mr Rogers on us and Gary and Rio are giving it the 'think of the children' big licks.  While Diego at times really is beginning to look like a parody of himself, on this occasion he is doing what any Joe Public football fan would, possibly, be doing after his team had scored a winning goal.  I'm pretty sure I was giving a very similar pair of gestures in the direction of Davie Provan when Clyde were beating Celtic many moons ago

On the plus side, Diego has given us gif ammunition for a fair few threads going forward....

Archived