Drug deaths in Scotland hit record high

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Merrily telling you? Ffs man its a fucking tragedy this is happening but its pretty clear your ‘lock the b*****ds up’ approach which is all we’ve ever had isn’t working.

I'd respectfully suggest your "let the b*****ds free to prey on society" approach isn't working.

Any words on the victims yet?

Just now, Tibbermoresaint said:

It'll prevent them from having further victims.

That's for society to decide. But I'd suggest junkies who commit crimes to fund their habit should be included. Others will disagree.

Sure. But people over the age of criminal responsibility need to be held accountable for their actions. The onus should be on them to make the correct choices in their lives. 

Untreated psychological illness doesn't usually get better with age. If it is sustained as a child, it is usually suppressed until it manifests in a shitstorm of self destruction and/or offending behaviour.

Just now, Sergeant Wilson said:

Untreated psychological illness doesn't usually get better with age. If it is sustained as a child, it is usually suppressed until it manifests in a shitstorm of self destruction and/or offending behaviour.

Sure. But that doesn't take away individual responsibility.

I'd respectfully suggest your "let the b*****ds free to prey on society" approach isn't working.
Any words on the victims yet?

Mate I literally spend most of my day helping victims of crime. The best assistance we can give them is cutting the volume of crime. I dont want people free to prey on society, I want drug misuse to be seen as a public health emergency and stamped out. Have you any idea how much it costs to keep someone locked up? Or to treat chronic addiction and associated health impacts like HIV/HepC? If we stop the drug misuse we stop everything. Locking up people with an illness doesnt help anyone.

2 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Mate I literally spend most of my day helping victims of crime. The best assistance we can give them is cutting the volume of crime. I dont want people free to prey on society, I want drug misuse to be seen as a public health emergency and stamped out. Have you any idea how much it costs to keep someone locked up? Or to treat chronic addiction and associated health impacts like HIV/HepC? If we stop the drug misuse we stop everything. Locking up people with an illness doesnt help anyone.

The best way of cutting junkie crime is preventing people from becoming junkies. If that fails then we need to remove them from society.

Just now, The Moonster said:

I'd prefer neither. Which would you prefer?

I'm easy. Either is fine.

2 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

The best way of cutting junkie crime is preventing people from becoming junkies. If that fails then we need to remove them from society.

I'm easy. Either is fine.

Jail is more expensive so would have to left to die.

Although, if someone is dying in the street and some do gooder calls an ambulance what then? Drug test in A&E and toss them in the incinerator if it's positive?

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

Jail is more expensive so would have to left to die.

Although, if someone is dying in the street and some do gooder calls an ambulance what then? Drug test in A&E and toss them in the incinerator if it's positive?

A bit extreme for me. But if that's what floats your boat.

Just now, Tibbermoresaint said:

A bit extreme for me. But if that's what floats your boat.

But if we're leaving them to die we can't treat them surely?

That comes straight out of my pocket. Maybe drug test at the scene by the paramedics and just leave them.