Scotland name squad

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
See McArthur has ruled himself out of national duty till the new year. Not too bothered to be honest as I think we have better and younger options. Bit of a risk to take from his pov (assuming he wants to return to the fold)

I know he’s played at the top level for years but I’ve never been impressed by him for Scotland.

1 minute ago, accies1874 said:

McDonald and Shinnie are probably the most surprising ones, but I'd imagine they'll be cover for McTominay or Robertson respectively. 

Has McTominay played any football this season? Be surprised if he's a no1 pick.

Just now, ilostmyself said:

Has McTominay played any football this season? Be surprised if he's a no1 pick.

He had a cameo appearance against Leicester. He'll play in the Albania game just to tie him up with Scotland. 

2 minutes ago, Reid said:

Shinnie appears to be named as a defender and Paterson as a midfielder.

Paterson mostly plays as a right midfielder for Cardiff. 

I'm surprised that Ryan Jack isn't in, he's been good for Rangers so far this year.  Hendry lucky that Scotland don't have much depth at CB, his performances so far this year would not normally merit a call-up

2 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

He had a cameo appearance against Leicester. He'll play in the Albania game just to tie him up with Scotland. 

Sounds about right, I've nothing against him but I have no idea how good/bad he is as he just hasn't played enough football

The Facebook thread for this is its usual mix of absolute lunacy.  Some guy absolutely losing his shit and calling it a disgrace for Shankland not being included.  Quite  a few seem to actually seriously touting him for a spot too, which is interesting/worrying.  Also a few definitely worrying ones that seem to be thinking both of these games are friendlies.

Squad is largely a big shrug.  We've got nowhere near enough quality in there, but it's not as if there's players going missing from the squads that would change that.  Remains to be seen what happens once they're actually out on the pitch.  Win fairly comfortably against Albania, and it's all good.  f**k it, win by scoring off someone's arse in the 97th minute and it's all good at this stage.

Regardless of form over the first month of the season, Ryan Jack is a no more than a bang average footballer. Every centre mid in the squad is a better player than him and therefore he rightfully shouldn't be in the squad.

Not being cruel or having a pop, but there’s just something not quite right with McLeish. Constantly looking down at notes and asking for a question to be asked again when he was half way through answering.

Squad is absolutely fine. Short on quality at the centre of defence, aside from Tierney. Hopefully Souttar can come in and stake a claim for the longer term.

Archived