Jump to content

The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, *marko* said:

To be clear, at no point did I say we should re-sign him, nor am I suggesting we should.  I think everyone can see our midfield is much better now than it was 3 years ago, so it was clearly the right decision to let him go in the end. It just surprised me at the time as I quite liked him. 

He certainly was no worse than some  player at that time,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, *marko* said:

To be clear, at no point did I say we should re-sign him, nor am I suggesting we should.  I think everyone can see our midfield is much better now than it was 3 years ago, so it was clearly the right decision to let him go in the end. It just surprised me at the time as I quite liked him. 

Fair point.  Like you I was also surprised as there's clearly a player in there, but at the same time, with his well documented fitness issues, it wasn't a shock when he left, if that makes sense.

He's probably bobbing about at his correct level now tbf, between L1 and L2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Surprised yet thankful that McCabe didn’t win this as it’s usually a curse!

9D40754F-DAE2-4049-91F3-E0D7F9657FF6.jpeg

Hard to argue to be fair; their March didn't include a defeat, whereas ours did. 

Nothing settled yet of course, but a brilliant first season in management for Rhys thus far, all things considered.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

Hard to argue to be fair; their March didn't include a defeat, whereas ours did. 

Nothing settled yet of course, but a brilliant first season in management for Rhys thus far, all things considered.

I think finishing third (if we do!) behind two teams that obviously have a bigger budget would ultimately be a success. I think given how good we were last season, and given how much of that squad are still at Airdrie, it’s understandable that some of us would’ve liked more of a title challenge, but maybe it’s a bit overly optimistic to expect a repeat of last year. Without dwelling on it too much, it’s amazing to think where we could be if it wasn’t for that horrendous spell in October, or where we might be if we’d seen out that 3-0 lead to Dunfermline and taken that momentum into the following games.

Despite being seemingly miles behind where we were a year ago, if we keep up current form we could see ourselves going into the playoffs with a similar momentum. The obvious worry in the playoffs is how easily we’ve crumbled this season when we’ve conceded or went a man down, but I wouldn’t fear whoever out of Cove or Accies ends up in the playoff (I think Arbroath will be safe) and Falkirk are on a poor run just now so hopefully they’ve lost some momentum. Alloa are a tricky side since Rice joined them but we’ve got a decent record against them so I hope it’s them that come 4th and not the dreaded Futbol Club de Edinburgh.

I am a bit worried about player movement if we fail to get promoted. Frizz and Smith will presumably have suitors, and so might Gal and Gabby given their form. Ballantyne’s got a two year deal and I imagine McCabe, Fordyce, and Watson will still be around, along with some of the youngsters like McGregor, Devenny etc. Heard from a reliable source that McMaster is signed up for next season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I am a bit worried about player movement if we fail to get promoted. Frizz and Smith will presumably have suitors, and so might Gal and Gabby given their form. Ballantyne’s got a two year deal and I imagine McCabe, Fordyce, and Watson will still be around, along with some of the youngsters like McGregor, Devenny etc. Heard from a reliable source that McMaster is signed up for next season.

Difficult one at the moment as it's very much league dependent but we'd have a chance of keeping Frizz and Smith if we get promotion. Gal's part time status may keep him here but I'd be surprised if Josh Rae remains, even if we go up, as I'm sure he'll be off to better things.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I think finishing third (if we do!) behind two teams that obviously have a bigger budget would ultimately be a success. I think given how good we were last season, and given how much of that squad are still at Airdrie, it’s understandable that some of us would’ve liked more of a title challenge, but maybe it’s a bit overly optimistic to expect a repeat of last year. Without dwelling on it too much, it’s amazing to think where we could be if it wasn’t for that horrendous spell in October, or where we might be if we’d seen out that 3-0 lead to Dunfermline and taken that momentum into the following games.

Despite being seemingly miles behind where we were a year ago, if we keep up current form we could see ourselves going into the playoffs with a similar momentum. The obvious worry in the playoffs is how easily we’ve crumbled this season when we’ve conceded or went a man down, but I wouldn’t fear whoever out of Cove or Accies ends up in the playoff (I think Arbroath will be safe) and Falkirk are on a poor run just now so hopefully they’ve lost some momentum. Alloa are a tricky side since Rice joined them but we’ve got a decent record against them so I hope it’s them that come 4th and not the dreaded Futbol Club de Edinburgh.

I am a bit worried about player movement if we fail to get promoted. Frizz and Smith will presumably have suitors, and so might Gal and Gabby given their form. Ballantyne’s got a two year deal and I imagine McCabe, Fordyce, and Watson will still be around, along with some of the youngsters like McGregor, Devenny etc. Heard from a reliable source that McMaster is signed up for next season.

I know we went 20 games unbeaten at the end of last season so this might sound a bit daft but there is a chance we could go into this years play-offs with even better momentum. After the 1-1 Cove game and then Cove getting a late equaliser at Queen’s Park the following week, we pretty much knew the league title was done at the start of April barring a massive collapse, so it was just a case of keeping the unbeaten run going as long as possible and making sure we were ready if Cove slipped up. If we keep up our current form then there isn’t really any pressure on us at the moment, so hopefully that helps. 

I’m trying not to get too concerned about departures until we know what league we’re in. I reckon Smith will be away either way but I’m hopeful we have a decent chance at keeping the majority of the starting eleven. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After Saturday I think we’ve now played seven league games with one of McCabe or Fordyce in the dugout and we’re unbeaten in all of them (Clyde 5-0, Kelty 1-0, Falkirk 1-1, Kelty 1-1, Kelty 6-1, Peterhead 7-0, Alloa 1-0). It’s a very small sample size but there’s a decent mix of games in there including some tough away ones. We’ve been crying out all season for a bit more organisation in the dugout and while I do like him as a player, I think having McCabe in there makes a big difference. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I think finishing third (if we do!) behind two teams that obviously have a bigger budget would ultimately be a success. I think given how good we were last season, and given how much of that squad are still at Airdrie, it’s understandable that some of us would’ve liked more of a title challenge, but maybe it’s a bit overly optimistic to expect a repeat of last year. Without dwelling on it too much, it’s amazing to think where we could be if it wasn’t for that horrendous spell in October, or where we might be if we’d seen out that 3-0 lead to Dunfermline and taken that momentum into the following games.

Despite being seemingly miles behind where we were a year ago, if we keep up current form we could see ourselves going into the playoffs with a similar momentum. The obvious worry in the playoffs is how easily we’ve crumbled this season when we’ve conceded or went a man down, but I wouldn’t fear whoever out of Cove or Accies ends up in the playoff (I think Arbroath will be safe) and Falkirk are on a poor run just now so hopefully they’ve lost some momentum. Alloa are a tricky side since Rice joined them but we’ve got a decent record against them so I hope it’s them that come 4th and not the dreaded Futbol Club de Edinburgh.

I am a bit worried about player movement if we fail to get promoted. Frizz and Smith will presumably have suitors, and so might Gal and Gabby given their form. Ballantyne’s got a two year deal and I imagine McCabe, Fordyce, and Watson will still be around, along with some of the youngsters like McGregor, Devenny etc. Heard from a reliable source that McMaster is signed up for next season.

Start of the season I always think we're going to win it haha, but I do always look at top four as good, albeit I completely agree, with the retention we had and the strengthening we did, a title challenge did seem on, especially after that excellent start to the season. Losing Josh for as long as we did didn't help, and that sticky spell (plus you're bang on about losing the Dunfermline lead) put us back aways, but credit to Dunfermline, 1 defeat all season is even better than Cove managed last year. They have been very, very good.

It's also interesting comparing the table to last year; Dunfermline look good to secure a similar points return as Cove (they might even better that 79 points mark) but second place will be well off our total of 72 last year, it would seem. Top two last year were miles in front, whereas Dunfermline are the only ones with that kind of comfortable gap this time. QP finished 4th on 51, which Alloa already have with  5 games still to play. It looks like a much more competitive division this season, at least from 8th place up. 

That we are right in amongst the playoffs, with a good chance of finishing third (second isnae exactly out of reach either...) is testament to the work done to retain the players we retained, recruit the others we recruited and the coaching and development throughout the season as well. Not counting any chickens yet though, probably a discussion we can have more fully come season end, but as things stand, have to be happy with how we are faring. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

That we are right in amongst the playoffs, with a good chance of finishing third (second isnae exactly out of reach either...)

Whilst I've always been very confident we'll make the play offs, and also that we'll win against Montrose on Saturday its a vitally important game that would give us great confidence and a bit of breathing space going in to our next 2 matches against Falkirk and Dunfermline.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Whilst I've always been very confident we'll make the play offs, and also that we'll win against Montrose on Saturday its a vitally important game that would give us great confidence and a bit of breathing space going in to our next 2 matches against Falkirk and Dunfermline.

Yeah another massive match because as you say, we maybe have the toughest last four fixtures out of the various runners and riders for the playoff spots? Games against top two then two matches against teams we've not managed to beat as yet this season. Win on Saturday and you kill off any lingering hopes Montrose have, but assuming Dunfermline win their match, you also go one point off second.. 

Much more importantly, a win on Saturday really pushes us that bit closer to securing a playoff berth. It won't seal it, not quite, but it would definitely put us in touching distance. As we've seen to our cost, where you land in 2nd-4th isn't all that definitive for playoff success. Just get there. 

And if we could get there before the final day visit to Meadowbank, that'd be just swell. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Yeah another massive match because as you say, we maybe have the toughest last four fixtures out of the various runners and riders for the playoff spots? Games against top two then two matches against teams we've not managed to beat as yet this season. Win on Saturday and you kill off any lingering hopes Montrose have, but assuming Dunfermline win their match, you also go one point off second.. 

Much more importantly, a win on Saturday really pushes us that bit closer to securing a playoff berth. It won't seal it, not quite, but it would definitely put us in touching distance. As we've seen to our cost, where you land in 2nd-4th isn't all that definitive for playoff success. Just get there. 

And if we could get there before the final day visit to Meadowbank, that'd be just swell. 

This is the key bit. Going there needing a result gives me the fear, so if we can turn up and play Hutton, Byrd, McGregor and Dom Kavanagh knowing we have a top four spot secured then I'll be delighted. I also have no intention on going back to Meadowbank unless I have to, so a meaningless game (for us at least) would be ideal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Mr November said:

This is the key bit. Going there needing a result gives me the fear, so if we can turn up and play Hutton, Byrd, McGregor and Dom Kavanagh knowing we have a top four spot secured then I'll be delighted. I also have no intention on going back to Meadowbank unless I have to, so a meaningless game (for us at least) would be ideal.

I totally agree with wanting the playoffs cemented before that last game but I feel the game will never be meaningless as we need to hand Edinburgh an absolute tanking after the games against them so far and the attitude they have shown to us. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...