2019/20 Scottish Cup

8 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

None of those clubs have shown signs of ever wanting to join the Pyramid, and now Colville Park have folded.

"Shamateurism" is rife and it doesn't seem right that the SFA are shoving prizemoney the way of Amateur clubs who's players aren't all playing for the love of the game. Those Colvile Park players were not playing for expenses.

Remember how the West of Scotland doesn't have a proper league in the pyramid, guess where all those clubs come from.

And the SFA aren't shoving prize money anywhere. They've earned it by qualifying and by winning any subsequent ties. With them entering in the Prelims as well it just means another club would of been given a bye and the SFA would of pocketed £4,000 to spend on lunch.

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Remember how the West of Scotland doesn't have a proper league in the pyramid, guess where all those clubs come from.

And the SFA aren't shoving prize money anywhere. They've earned it by qualifying and by winning any subsequent ties. With them entering in the Prelims as well it just means another club would of been given a bye and the SFA would of pocketed £4,000 to spend on lunch.

Bonnyton are in the Pyramid, just down the road from Shortlees.

Amateur clubs "earning" serious prizemoney goes against the principle of amateurism in my opinion. I wonder what happened to the £15k or so Colville Park earned a couple of seasons ago.

On 05/09/2019 at 16:18, Burnie_man said:

So Colville Park have apparently folded, maybe time to re-assess letting Amateur clubs into the competition.  £3k saved by the SFA.

So Selkirk have apparently folded last season, maybe time to re-assess letting Lowland League clubs into the competition. £48k saved by the SFA.

Just now, Marshmallo said:

So Selkirk have apparently folded last season, maybe time to re-assess letting Lowland League clubs into the competition. £48k saved by the SFA.

Selkirk of course had to get Licenced first   (you red dotted me for an opinion, grow up!)

1 minute ago, Burnie_man said:

Selkirk of course had to get Licenced first   (you red dotted me for an opinion, grow up!)

I agree with you on a lot of things re the pyramid but more and more these days you seem to base your opinions on what would be "best" for Scottish football as "what's best for Blackburn".

Colville Park fulfilled their picture and, without knowing the detail, with further prize money revenue and Scottish Cup ties to motivate management/players they'd probably have been less likely to fold.

12 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Bonnyton are in the Pyramid, just down the road from Shortlees.

Amateur clubs "earning" serious prizemoney goes against the principle of amateurism in my opinion. I wonder what happened to the £15k or so Colville Park earned a couple of seasons ago.

Well it wouldn't have been £15k as I don't think prize money for PR1-PR2-1st-2nd even goes that high even now. And i'm sure whatever they made they spent.

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

I agree with you on a lot of things re the pyramid but more and more these days you seem to base your opinions on what would be "best" for Scottish football as "what's best for Blackburn".

Colville Park fulfilled their picture and, without knowing the detail, with further prize money revenue and Scottish Cup ties to motivate management/players they'd probably have been less likely to fold.

This has hee haw to do with Blackburn, we're already Licenced. Amateur clubs entering has zero impact.

However, when you see the likes of Haddington and St.Andrews move to the Pyramid and work their arses off for a Licence, spending a lot of money in the process, only to be derailed by a last minute requirement to cough up another £40-60k to get lights (which might not be an option financially), then it puts it into perspective when Amateur clubs enter without any need to fulfil the same requirements, and are probably making payments thery shouldn't be (we all know it happens).

My opinion is that it's not right.

Just now, Burnie_man said:

This has hee haw to do with Blackburn, we're already Licenced. Amateur clubs entering has zero impact.

However, when you see the likes of Haddington and St.Andrews move to the Pyramid and work their arses off for a Licence, spending a lot of money in the process, only to be derailed by a last minute requirement to cough up another £40-60k to get lights (which might not be an option financially), then it puts it into perspective when Amateur clubs enter without any need to fulfil the same requirements, and are probably making payments thery shouldn't be (we all know it happens).

My opinion is that it's not right.

Would you limit qualification for the Scottish Cup solely to licensed clubs?

2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Would you limit qualification for the Scottish Cup solely to licensed clubs?

Given the demands now being put on senior clubs within the Pyramid to maintain their Licence or obtain one, then yes.  Look at Vale of Leithen, SFA members since 1897 and Licence holders, but now faced with exclusion if they don't install lights. That is a massive capital outlay.  Whitehill Welfare also fundraising in the hope of getting lights.

Meanwhile, non-licenced clubs are admitted who can reap massive benefits without the committment, Talbot earned £80k alone in prizemoney last season before you count gates receipts and any TV payments. Yet, they are vocal about wanting to remain Junior.

It's no longer acceptable IMO, particularly when the west of Scotland get's a senior league.

I think completely the opposite. Licensing should be about maintaining standards at different levels of the league pyramid, with a tiered licensing structure to determine which level of the pyramid you're eligible to play at. The Scottish Cup should be open to any club in Scotland, with the caveat that they need to meet certain ground standards at different rounds (which can be achieved by sharing).

And?

38 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

31 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

☕🐸

11 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I think completely the opposite. Licensing should be about maintaining standards at different levels of the league pyramid, with a tiered licensing structure to determine which level of the pyramid you're eligible to play at. The Scottish Cup should be open to any club in Scotland, with the caveat that they need to meet certain ground standards at different rounds (which can be achieved by sharing).

I agree, all clubs should have the opportunity to enter, however currently we have a situation where clubs have to make massive outlays in order to get the Licence to meet requirments to enter, whilst others don't.

I used to agree that Amatuer and Junior clubs should have the chance to "qualify" for entry, but as the Licence conditions become more demanding to meet and maintain for clubs within the Pyramid, then perhaps it should be restricted to those clubs who are within the Pyramid and hold a Licence (once the west come on board).

I used to agree that Amatuer and Junior clubs should have the chance to "qualify" for entry, but as the Licence conditions become more demanding to meet and maintain for clubs within the Pyramid, then perhaps it should be restricted to those clubs who are within the Pyramid and hold a Licence (once the west come on board).

When did you change your mind, this summer by any chance?

3 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

I agree, all clubs should have the opportunity to enter, however currently we have a situation where clubs have to make massive outlays in order to get the Licence to meet requirments to enter, whilst others don't.

At the moment, getting your license guarantees you entry every single year (as well as the possibility of a bye in the preliminary rounds) regardless of how good you are on the park. Unlicensed clubs can only reach the Scottish Cup by earning their way there through some sort of success - if your name isn't Auchinleck Talbot then you're probably going to be qualifying one year in three at best.

Edited by craigkillie

Just now, Marshmallo said:

When did you change your mind, this summer by any chance?

You're desperately trying to link this to Blackburn aren't you rather than actually dealing with the topic at hand.

As I have already said, the current situation has no impact whatsoever on us.

Just now, Burnie_man said:

You're desperately trying to link this to Blackburn aren't you rather than actually dealing with the topic at hand.

As I have already said, the current situation has no impact whatsoever on us.

Answer the question rather than throwing a tantrum - when did your opinion on Scottish Cup entry change?