Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

1 hour ago, Jaggy Snake said:

Does it matter? They either have paid us or owe us the money by a certain date/in installments if that was agreed as part of the transfer.

Them deciding not to play Goodwillie has nothing to do with a completed transfer.

I think it does.  Big Val is calling on the remainder of the board to go.  If this, or anything else, brings about the liquidation of RR then we'd simply be creditor.  

The long term damage of re-signing him now far outweighs the short term benefits of him returning for a couple more seasons.

This is a key point for me, what will we really gain for having him another season or two, as realistically that’s all he’s got left. Sure with DG we will probably stay afloat in League One for another year or two but even that’s not a given if his salary takes up so much budget we have to fill the rest of the team with shite.

As more and more kelty’s and cove’s make their way into the league a lot of clubs our size face a real battle just to stand still. We need a proper plan in place for where we want to be and how we are going to do that over the next 5 years. Rather than relying heavily on the ability of one player who is far too good for this level.

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

I think it does.  Big Val is calling on the remainder of the board to go.  If this, or anything else, brings about the liquidation of RR then we'd simply be creditor.

A former sponsor wanting a board out for a decision they disagree with and a club going into administration are miles and miles apart. I can't see any remote danger of that happening, especially just after a huge number of Raith supporters (and many others) united behind one cause.

As HD said above, the only thing we could miss out on was any add ons that were possibly agreed, which are always a risk anyway.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

57 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

As more and more kelty’s and cove’s make their way into the league a lot of clubs our size face a real battle just to stand still. We need a proper plan in place for where we want to be and how we are going to do that over the next 5 years. Rather than relying heavily on the ability of one player who is far too good for this level.

That’s the key- the quality of the league is improving with some quite big junior clubs knock on the door. 

Clyde had a brush with death at the foot of SPFL 2 no so long ago. That has to be awake up call.

I would say in Lennon you have a first rate manager getting the max out of the team but do the Board have the vision though to not just consolidate in league one but take it to the next level. If Arbroath or Hamilton can why not Clyde?

4 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Right honestly, you're missing the point.

Just because he was legally deemed to have been adequately punished does not mean he has some kind of divine right to be employed as a professional footballer.

no of course he doesnt have any divine right but if there is an employer wishing to employ him in his profession then surely he has the the right to take it up.

If he had been say IT consultant would he have had any more or less right than say if he was a footballer to take up an offer of employment in his profession?

Or is being a footballer and being more in the public limelight than say an IT consultant does that mean because of that he shouldnt be allowed to take up employment. 

1 hour ago, Clyde01 said:

This is a key point for me, what will we really gain for having him another season or two, as realistically that’s all he’s got left. Sure with DG we will probably stay afloat in League One for another year or two but even that’s not a given if his salary takes up so much budget we have to fill the rest of the team with shite.

Problem is that we are dying club with little means to generate extra revenue other than match attendance and with a dwindling support we will realistically be a lower level L2 or LL club in 5 to 10 years time.

Problem is that we are dying club with little means to generate extra revenue other than match attendance and with a dwindling support we will realistically be a lower level L2 or LL club in 5 to 10 years time.

Wow, I hope you aren’t the chairman, is there no limits to your ambition?

2 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

That’s pretty pessimistic. Clearly if the club continues to drift that is very possible but it’s still within your gift to turn it round.

in no particular order the club first must establish its purpose. What is the USP outside a glorious history up to the 1960s anyway and why might someone support it? Tradition/ family/ friends/ locals are all good but the brand needs to be consistent, differentiated and grown.

But most fundamentally is it a Cumbernauld team or not? Still not knowing after 20 odd years is a disaster. I would say you probably should stay as going somewhere is frankly.year zero again and it takes a generation plus to build a tradition but constant uncertainty simply undermines the club and reasons for the locals to get behind it. That is so obviously fundamental it shouldn’t need saying. 

The  route must be home grown local  talent as much as possible too surely? Is your youth set up fit for purpose? That’s a route to get them young…

Your right your gates are dwindling and have been for a long time but there remains some residual support. Did not 2k+ turn up to see the play offs? Do you have the tech/ email systems to communicate with these people. If they are keen enough to turn up once they might come back? 

but ultimately it’s about leadership. I would say your current manager is top notch for league one. A great starting point. But is the Board up to it? I really have no view but that single minded determination and drive is essential. 

Or is being a footballer and being more in the public limelight than say an IT consultant does that mean because of that he shouldnt be allowed to take up employment. 

Yes. He shouldn't be allowed such a privileged position. A footballer is more than just a guy kicking a ball. A lot of kids look up to these guys and are role models and inspiration for millions. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable taking my kids to support a rapist.

9 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Yes. He shouldn't be allowed such a privileged position. A footballer is more than just a guy kicking a ball. A lot of kids look up to these guys and are role models and inspiration for millions. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable taking my kids to support a rapist.

I should hope not!

You mean when he's playing don't you?

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

2 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

no of course he doesnt have any divine right but if there is an employer wishing to employ him in his profession then surely he has the the right to take it up.

If he had been say IT consultant would he have had any more or less right than say if he was a footballer to take up an offer of employment in his profession?

Jesus Christ almighty 

18 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

Wow, I hope you aren’t the chairman, is there no limits to your ambition?

There needs to be some radical change to progress the club and dont think the current board are able to drive that forward.

However, anyone else with any interest would have stepped forward by now and be doing so and sure the current board wouldnt stand in their way if they had the clubs best interests at  heart.

Sometimes just needs reality check.  Our support is dwindling, we have no income generating source outside games and current board dont have the necessary skills, experience or money to make the changes needed.

What is your solution going forward?

17 hours ago, support the underdog said:

That’s pretty pessimistic. Clearly if the club continues to drift that is very possible but it’s still within your gift to turn it round.

in no particular order the club first must establish its purpose. What is the USP outside a glorious history up to the 1960s anyway and why might someone support it? Tradition/ family/ friends/ locals are all good but the brand needs to be consistent, differentiated and grown.

But most fundamentally is it a Cumbernauld team or not? Still not knowing after 20 odd years is a disaster. I would say you probably should stay as going somewhere is frankly.year zero again and it takes a generation plus to build a tradition but constant uncertainty simply undermines the club and reasons for the locals to get behind it. That is so obviously fundamental it shouldn’t need saying. 

The  route must be home grown local  talent as much as possible too surely? Is your youth set up fit for purpose? That’s a route to get them young…

Your right your gates are dwindling and have been for a long time but there remains some residual support. Did not 2k+ turn up to see the play offs? Do you have the tech/ email systems to communicate with these people. If they are keen enough to turn up once they might come back? 

but ultimately it’s about leadership. I would say your current manager is top notch for league one. A great starting point. But is the Board up to it? I really have no view but that single minded determination and drive is essential. 

Agree need to establish who they are.  The cumbernauld club argument sailed years ago and still seems we are still at year 0.  Be interesting to know how many regular fans attend who didnt attend before came to broadwood.  It cant be many I have been going for 40 years and many of the faces I see on a regular basis were going to  Shawfield/Firhill/Douglas Park.  There was initial excitement for the first few months but the club failed to capitalise on it and the fact that it took us about 6 games to score a goal when we first moved didnt help.

We have had a number of good teams since being in Cumbernauld; the juniors team drafted in by Ronnie MacDonald, the xfactor team drummed up by Graeme Roberts, the team that nearly got promoted to the premier league by Alan Kernaghan and the L2 team promoted with Danny Lennon.  All those teams played open and exciting footballl, won games and were good to watch but still had no effect on attendances.

Agree club should look to grow their own players and dont know when the last player we produced that was any good?  Craig Bryson 17 years ago?  To my knowledge we dont have any youth teams at all.

Yes 2k+ plus attended for the L2 playoff v Annan but you will always get the glory hunters coming to one off games (eg Hibs final v Rangers a few years ago was the same).

As you say it is all about leadership and putting a plan in place to cover a variety of things to be achieved.  I would never criticise the board as they are doing their best and at the end of the day are fans and if they werent there who would take up the mantle.  But effectively they are are group of penpushers with no football experience when ideally you are looking for people with some or more of the following; football experience, sales and marketing experience, hard cash.

If I was the board I would look to do the following

1. Re-engage with the local communities and schools and get interest in the club again.  Anyone in the relevant postcode an adult and up to 3 children can attend games totally free of charge .

2. Invest in youth development and try to get as many teams set up under Clyde umbrella at as many age groups as possible.  Start with two teams under 18 and under 16 and build down from there.

3. Engage a marketing company to promote the club with the aim of increasing  attendance to at least 1,000 by start of 2022/23 season and to at least 2,000 by start of 2023/24.  Marketing company would get 50% of the income generated from the additional attendees.

The above may be a bit radical and "out the box" but it is time for some "out the box" thinking as things will drift and we might not get relegated this year but we will maybe next year , the year after or within a couple of years of that.

I think there will be more Cumbernauld Clyde based fans that people realise. It could be higher but then the club has never bothered their arse to engage with the local community. If all the time, effort and money that has been wasted on umpteen fruitless attempts to move away from Cumbernauld had instead been spent on engaging with the local community then I suspect our attendances would be higher and we would be attracting more support from local businesses.

When Clyde first move to Broadwood every game was sold out. They sponsored by OKI one of the biggest businesses in Cumbernauld. Clyde were advertised constantly in the local press, schools and the town centre. You could pick up a Clyde top or scarf in every sport shop up the town centre.

Fast forward to now and you would never know Clyde still play in Cumbernauld. The roundabout right outside Broadwood is the busiest in Cumbernauld and we don't even bother advertising when the next home game is.

20 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Totally agree with this…the pyramid system has been very beneficial in weeding out the clubs who were underachieving and not looking like changing..ie East Stirling who were always crap…then Berwick, Brechin and now likely Cowdenbeath . You need to keep driving forward. It’s hard to see any of these teams coming back anytime soon, and if we did end up there, then it would be our own fault. 

3 hours ago, Bob731 said:

Totally agree with this…the pyramid system has been very beneficial in weeding out the clubs who were underachieving and not looking like changing..ie East Stirling who were always crap…then Berwick, Brechin and now likely Cowdenbeath . You need to keep driving forward. It’s hard to see any of these teams coming back anytime soon, and if we did end up there, then it would be our own fault. 

Wait until you see next season's 16-team League Two including Old Firm B teams 😉

22 hours ago, Jack Burton said:

I think there will be more Cumbernauld Clyde based fans that people realise. It could be higher but then the club has never bothered their arse to engage with the local community. If all the time, effort and money that has been wasted on umpteen fruitless attempts to move away from Cumbernauld had instead been spent on engaging with the local community then I suspect our attendances would be higher and we would be attracting more support from local businesses.

When Clyde first move to Broadwood every game was sold out. They sponsored by OKI one of the biggest businesses in Cumbernauld. Clyde were advertised constantly in the local press, schools and the town centre. You could pick up a Clyde top or scarf in every sport shop up the town centre.

Fast forward to now and you would never know Clyde still play in Cumbernauld. The roundabout right outside Broadwood is the busiest in Cumbernauld and we don't even bother advertising when the next home game is.

Yeah agree with what you say but dont think every game was a sell out at the start or certainly cant remember them being so.   Checking back, the first game v Hamilton had attendance of 5,356. following week v Stirling was 2,112 (still decent), following week v Dunfermline (4,113 good though probably more to do with away support), then midweek game v Morton which remember was freezing still got 1,666.  Last game of season v Clydebank was 1,386 (oh for attendance of over 1000 at home now).

The fact that it took us to our 5th home game v Brechin and Allan McKenzie to score what I remember was a scruffy goal wouldnt have helped either (attendance v Brechin was 1,786)

Agree that the club should look to reengage with the local community and particularly the schools to attract attendance.  I would let an adult and up to 2 kids in free if they stay in the local targeted postcodes.  Might lose some income from those that pay in those areas but dont think would be much. 

Plus some other radical "out the box" thinking to market and sell the club.

Agree the club should use that roundabout to publicise next game just like falkirk do with their big advertising board on Falkirk Road behind their ground.

I have honestly lost count of the number of times this has been mentioned / suggested over the last 20 years, you’d think it would be the simplest of things to do but has never been done. 

I can’t for the life of me understand why but yet another failure and lack of foresight by successive boards!