Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

The total lack of width in the midfield is another issue. I appreciate Duthie (and it was nice to see him warming up today) has been out since the QotS game but he’s our only recognised winger. The latest trend of Gomis playing as a left midfielder is a nonsense.

2 hours ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

I'll be honest, with a lot of what has gone on recently, it's become difficult to defend the leadership at the club, but I will still have a degree of sympathy for what Danny Lennon has to work with.  I keep hearing about the fact we have a - relatively - reasonable budget. 

My understanding on what was said before the season started is that he has a budget in considerable excess of what we can actually afford, but no doubt one which fails in comparison to the majority of other sides in the league. There's certainly a very obvious difference between the players that we can attract when compared to, say, Kelty, Montrose or Alloa. Perhaps even Edinburgh. The team we played today, the team closest to us in the table, are bringing in guys who cruised through the Championship last season at the end of the transfer window.

Jaggy Snake hits the nail on the head. We may well be the 9th best team in the league but we absolutely should be getting more points than we are. We are clearly underachieving and he doesn't have a clue how to fix it. Cuddihy has been decent (a 6.5 out of 10) in the centre the past two games but if he's at right back, then we're not down to ten men last week (regardless of it being overturned) and we don't concede that opener today. 37 year old Mo Gomis reinventing himself as a wide midfielder is absolutely wild. And after persisting with keeping Peter Grant in the team when he's been honking, he drops him after the one game he played well in. Oh, and Parry is now back in goals (and made a stupendous save).

Regardless of the squad having limitations that can't be addressed until January, it all just needs a fresh pair of eyes. Certainly no obvious candidates unfortunately!

5 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

The total lack of width in the midfield is another issue. I appreciate Duthie (and it was nice to see him warming up today) has been out since the QotS game but he’s our only recognised winger. The latest trend of Gomis playing as a left midfielder is a nonsense.

Did I hear DL right in the podcast when he said Duthie was having heart surgery "yesterday"? Surely not if he out warming up today (and was last week as well).

39 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

We have lacked width for years imo. Or at least width of any quality. Danny never plays with two out and out wingers and I’ve never understood it.

Seems to me that with recent league results, we aren’t heading upwards anytime soon. I think what the board may be thinking at the moment is do we finish above Peterhead and survive the play offs? Dangerous to take a chance on that, but it’s also a big gamble on Lennon leaving (can we even sack him?) and assuming someone else (none of us can even suggest a replacement at the moment) and see us nabbing 8th.

Worrying times. 

Edit: we’ve only won four league games since Goodwillie left. Now, before anyone jumps in, no, we can’t under any circumstances even think about it, but it makes you think about our way of approaching games and the end result since. Overly reliant, and we’ve no idea what to do to find a replacement for his goals. 

Edited by Karpaty Lviv

37 minutes ago, David W said:

Did I hear DL right in the podcast when he said Duthie was having heart surgery "yesterday"? Surely not if he out warming up today (and was last week as well).

Not open heart surgery- catheter procedure to sort hole in heart. Entirely possible he’s sorted and able to move on to gain match fitness 

We’ve also had Roberts playing on the left the last few weeks and he’s far better centrally, bizarre to see Gomis there today but all a symptom of the fact that the squad assembled is unbalanced and has glaring holes in it. Left back, left midfield, right back, right midfield are all problem areas.

We are being forced to play players out of position or guys that just aren’t good enough. That’s down to Danny.

Thicot was a horror show today, Peter grant has made plenty mistakes but he looks a much better option than Thicot. Or why not try sula in there with mclean?

25 minutes ago, David W said:

That’s how I heard it, David. Not an expert on the ins and outs of heart surgery but I did think it was a bit soon!

Seems to me that with recent league results, we aren’t heading upwards anytime soon. I think what the board may be thinking at the moment is do we finish above Peterhead and survive the play offs? Dangerous to take a chance on that, but it’s also a big gamble on Lennon leaving (can we even sack him?) and assuming someone else (none of us can even suggest a replacement at the moment) and see us nabbing 8th.
Worrying times. 
Edit: we’ve only won four league games since Goodwillie left. Now, before anyone jumps in, no, we can’t under any circumstances even think about it, but it makes you think about our way of approaching games and the end result since. Overly reliant, and we’ve no idea what to do to find a replacement for his goals. 

We’ve only managed 5 wins in 28 league games this calendar year so far. Dreadful.

9 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Worrying times. 

If you stuck Goodwillie and Splaine into this team then it would make a massive difference. It would allow us to keep the ball for longer at the top end of the park. We'd not just be bullied off the ball any time we get near the opposition goal. Look at Higginbotham today; not a big guy but able to hold the ball in and win his share of headers. It doesn't need to be a 6 foot plus guy.

Incidentally, we only won 21 games out of the 66 that he played for us in L1, which is such a waste of what was an absolute barrowload of goals. We missed such an opportunity when we came up and ended up signing the likes of Smith, Wallace and Johnston.

So in other words he has to go….never a nice thing to acknowledge but the Club is bigger than any one person, and that’s what has to be the priority…the above stats state it all…. I still think that a fresh pair of eyes are needed before it’s too late…

We've been fuckin brutal since we came up and have been getting drastically worse season on season. That all comes down to being a club with no home, no backer, no money, awful recruitment and a manager that's lost the plot.

I will never understand taking your goalscorer off to play an ancient Brian McClean upfront! Fucking madness and I still can't believe it hours after the game.
We've signed a squad for the Lowland league when playing in Legaue 1.
This club is in serious trouble. We have no real cash flow and a failed CIC model that along with a secret society of a board and amateur board spells one word. RELEGATION

15 minutes ago, bullyweehutch said:

We've been fuckin brutal since we came up and have been getting drastically worse season on season. That all comes down to being a club with no home, no backer, no money, awful recruitment and a manager that's lost the plot.

I will never understand taking your goalscorer off to play an ancient Brian McClean upfront! Fucking madness and I still can't believe it hours after the game.
We've signed a squad for the Lowland league when playing in Legaue 1.
This club is in serious trouble. We have no real cash flow and a failed CIC model that along with a secret society of a board and amateur board spells one word. RELEGATION

Agreed…we need a businessman running the whole operation…current chairman a good guy but massive issues there. The ability to hire and fire. 

9 hours ago, David W said:

My understanding on what was said before the season started is that he has a budget in considerable excess of what we can actually afford, but no doubt one which fails in comparison to the majority of other sides in the league. There's certainly a very obvious difference between the players that we can attract when compared to, say, Kelty, Montrose or Alloa. Perhaps even Edinburgh. The team we played today, the team closest to us in the table, are bringing in guys who cruised through the Championship last season at the end of the transfer window.

Jaggy Snake hits the nail on the head. We may well be the 9th best team in the league but we absolutely should be getting more points than we are. We are clearly underachieving and he doesn't have a clue how to fix it. Cuddihy has been decent (a 6.5 out of 10) in the centre the past two games but if he's at right back, then we're not down to ten men last week (regardless of it being overturned) and we don't concede that opener today. 37 year old Mo Gomis reinventing himself as a wide midfielder is absolutely wild. And after persisting with keeping Peter Grant in the team when he's been honking, he drops him after the one game he played well in. Oh, and Parry is now back in goals (and made a stupendous save).

Regardless of the squad having limitations that can't be addressed until January, it all just needs a fresh pair of eyes. Certainly no obvious candidates unfortunately!

We have budgeted for an 162k loss this season the budget next year is 100k unless significant investment comes in or we spend more out of the rainy day fund

Defence has been awful. Can’t understand why Sula is still sitting on that bench and yet McLean is still a starter. Sula and Grant is the 2 I’d be playing for the foreseeable. McLean and Thicot are utter dogshit. Don’t think I’ve seen a centre back pairing get out played and out strengthened so badly, both are past it and don’t understand why they’re playing. But have a feeling if mclean is dropped he’ll throw a hissy fit like he has done at every other club he’s been at. On a positive note I thought that young lad that came in at left back played pretty well