Jump to content

Players You Associate With A Particular Kit


Recommended Posts

Scotland.png

Who do you see in your minds eye when you look at each kit? In many cases there is a definite player whom I would immediately associate in my mind with a number of these kits. Does anyone else have this inner kit-vision or is it just me that is cursed with such shit power...?

2017-19: Robertson, 2016-17(a): S. Fletcher, 2016-17: Griffiths, 2014-15(a): Brown, 2013-15: Hutton, 2011-13: Hutton, 2010-11: Hutton, 2008-09: Hartley, 2007-08(a): McFadden, 2006-08: Ferguson, 2005-07(a): D. Fletcher, 2005-06: K. Miller, 2004-06(3rd): K. Miller, 2002-03: Crawford, 1999-00(a): Hutchison, 1998-00: Hendry, 1996-99(a): Gallacher, 1996-98: Durie, 1994-96: McCoist, 1988-90(a): M. Johnston/M. MacLeod, 1988-90: M. Johnston, 1985-88(a): McAvennie, 1985-88: Nicholas.

And that's as far back as I can cast my minds eye... Strange the amount of Hutton love in there. It would no doubt add fuel to the raging P&B debate about him; that's if anyone actually cared about this shite topic...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I associate Stevie Crawford and Christian Dailly with the pinstripe Fila 02-03 kit and Kenny Miller with the first two Adidas home kits in 10-11 and 11-13. No idea why, but I just do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, IggyStooge said:

Scotland.png

Who do you see in your minds eye when you look at each kit? In many cases there is a definite player whom I would immediately associate in my mind with a number of these kits. Does anyone else have this inner kit-vision or is it just me that is cursed with such shit power...?

2017-19: Robertson, 2016-17(a): S. Fletcher, 2016-17: Griffiths, 2014-15(a): Brown, 2013-15: Hutton, 2011-13: Hutton, 2010-11: Hutton, 2008-09: Hartley, 2007-08(a): McFadden, 2006-08: Ferguson, 2005-07(a): D. Fletcher, 2005-06: K. Miller, 2004-06(3rd): K. Miller, 2002-03: Crawford, 1999-00(a): Hutchison, 1998-00: Hendry, 1996-99(a): Gallacher, 1996-98: Durie, 1994-96: McCoist, 1988-90(a): M. Johnston/M. MacLeod, 1988-90: M. Johnston, 1985-88(a): McAvennie, 1985-88: Nicholas.

And that's as far back as I can cast my minds eye... Strange the amount of Hutton love in there. It would no doubt add fuel to the raging P&B debate about him; that's if anyone actually cared about this shite topic...

 

82-84 (h) Steve Archibald...82-85 (a) Jim Bett...85-88 (h) Mo Johnston, (a) Richard Gough...88-91 (h) Stewart McKimmie, (a) Alan McInally...91-94 (h) Ally McCoist, 91-93 Ally McCoist (a)...93-95 (a) Duncan Ferguson...94-96(h) Gary McAllister...95-96 (a) Colin Calderwood...96-98 (h) Gary McAllister...96-99 (a) Gordon Durie...98-00 Tom Boyd (h)...99-00 (a) Don Hutchison...00-02 (h) Christian Dailly...00-02 (a) Matt Elliott...02-03 (h)Gary Naysmith...02-03 (a) Gary Naysmith...03-05 (h) James McFadden...03-05 (a) Paul Hartley...04-06 (3rd) Gary Naysmith...05-06 (h) Gary Caldwell...05-07 (a) Nigel Quashie...06-08 (h) James McFadden...07-08 (a) James McFadden...08-09 (h) Darren Fletcher...10-11 (h) Darren Fletcher...11-12 (a) Kris Boyd...11-13 (h) Kenny Miller...11-13 (a) ???

13-15 (h) Shaun Maloney...14-15 (a) Shaun Maloney...16-17 (h) Leigh Griffiths...16-17 (a) James Morrison...17-19 (h) Andy Robertson...18-19 (a) Ryan Fraser

 

Went back to early 80s and tried my best just to take a look at the kit and 1st name that popped into my head...only one that I can't think of anyone is 2011-13 away kit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 06/06/2019 at 12:48, ONeils4Oyarder said:

82-84(h) Steve Archibald... 82-85(a) Jim Bett... 85-88(h) Mo Johnston, (a) Richard Gough... 88-91(h) Stewart McKimmie, (a) Alan McInally... 91-94(h) Ally McCoist... 91-93(a) Ally McCoist... 93-95(a) Duncan Ferguson... 94-96(h) Gary McAllister... 95-96 (a) Colin Calderwood... 96-98(a) Gordon Durie.

These are good. Can picture them all vividly.

On 06/06/2019 at 13:32, Mantis Toboggan said:

2008-09 Chris Iwelumo

Of course! I can see him now scoring that tap-in against Norway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kenny Dalglish for 1976-79.

David Speedie weirdly for 1985-88

Mo Johnston for 1988-91 home

Richard Gough for same era away

Duncan Ferguson for 1993-95

Gary McAllister for 1994-96

Kenny Miller for 2002-03 light blue effort

James McFadden for 2007-08 away kit

Grant Hanley for recent bright pink one.

 

Some good memories - mostly Hellish.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Gary McAllister for 1994-96

Some good memories - mostly Hellish.

Starting to think my mind blanked the penalty out  and replaced it with the goal against Switzerland simply for self-preservation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

The Richard Gough one jumps out from my favourite away shirt (89-90) - as he scored two late goals (I think) as we rescued our arses away on Cyprus.

Could be an omen for tonight.

Did he not only get one?

We were behind in the match, but equalised fairly soon I think.  A draw which would have been a rotten result however, looked certain until we scored in about the 97th minute or something.  It was before we got told how much time was being added, and it was in an era when there was rarely more than 2-3 minutes.

 

PS. I just broke my own rules and checked.  My mistake - Gough did indeed score twice, but the equaliser came after 54 minutes.

Edited by Monkey Tennis
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did he not only get one?
We were behind in the match, but equalised fairly soon I think.  A draw which would have been a rotten result however, looked certain until we scored in about the 97th minute or something.  It was before we got told how much time was being added, and it was in an era when there was rarely more than 2-3 minutes.
I was 7 or 8 but I remember celebrating. I then got that shirt for the world cup (along with the white shell-suit top and navy bottoms) and my wife got me an adult version about ten years ago. Favourite shirt for me.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, pandarilla said:
18 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:
Did he not only get one?
We were behind in the match, but equalised fairly soon I think.  A draw which would have been a rotten result however, looked certain until we scored in about the 97th minute or something.  It was before we got told how much time was being added, and it was in an era when there was rarely more than 2-3 minutes.

I was 7 or 8 but I remember celebrating. I then got that shirt for the world cup (along with the white shell-suit top and navy bottoms) and my wife got me an adult version about ten years ago. Favourite shirt for me.

Whippersnapper!

I was a student at the time and remember listening to it on the radio.  It was a midweek afternoon.

I apparently don't remember it that well though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whippersnapper!
I was a student at the time and remember listening to it on the radio.  It was a midweek afternoon.
I apparently don't remember it that well though.
It was indeed. I was at primary school and the headmaster wheeled out the telly so we could watch the game (must have been live on the BBC?). Good times.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, resk said:
17 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:
Whippersnapper!
I was a student at the time and remember listening to it on the radio.  It was a midweek afternoon.
I apparently don't remember it that well though.

It was indeed. I was at primary school and the headmaster wheeled out the telly so we could watch the game (must have been live on the BBC?). Good times.

Yes, I was in England, so it wasn't on TV.

My equivalent memories for school were for a qualifier in Israel in P6, and the away leg of the Australia play-off in S4.

Ah nostalgia.  It's not what it used to be etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dalglish with the big round badge and the big gleeful grin.
Jordan with that lovely smile and the strange looking wales strip.
Archie Gemmill enough said.
Wee Strachan getting his leg up
Danny McGrain playing on the wrong side
Alan Hansen gliding across the grass
David Narey made them angry
Charlie Nicholas they horrible shorts.
Paul McStay playing against CIS who?
Colin Hendry braveheart
Wee fat sally fluke from outside the box never heard of.
Craig Burley with his Jordan smile and blonde hair
Jim Leighton fecking hell made me cry.
1977-1998 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Dalglish with the big round badge and the big gleeful grin.
Jordan with that lovely smile and the strange looking wales strip.
Archie Gemmill enough said.
Wee Strachan getting his leg up
Danny McGrain playing on the wrong side
Alan Hansen gliding across the grass
David Narey made them angry
Charlie Nicholas they horrible shorts.
Paul McStay playing against CIS who?
Colin Hendry braveheart
Wee fat sally fluke from outside the box never heard of.
Craig Burley with his Jordan smile and blonde hair
Jim Leighton fecking hell made me cry.
1977-1998 
 

The Hansen memory would be happier, had he not glided into Willie Miller.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The yellow away kit we had in the mid-late 1990s is one I always associate with Kevin Gallagher.  I had some cash-in book that was released in advance of the 1998 World Cup, about the squad and all the games in the qualifaction campaign.  There was a picture of Gallagher in that kit that just stuck in my mind.  Still my favourite Scotland kit, home or away.  There was another one in the book of Jim Leighton in this top, and again I always associate with him:

image.png.91a5c1687007f89f15290ef8d6ab639a.png

 

The tartan home kit from 94-96, which I still think was pretty cool, is always Paul McStay - again because of a tournament book or all the teams at Euro 96.  I think he, McCoist and Hendry were the Scotland players in it.  I grew up abroad and very seldom got to see Scotland on TV, so photos in those kinds of books were how I got to see the kits and what players looked like.

Edited by Tulloch Gorum
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...