Scotland vs Argentina - Wednesday 19th June, 8pm

HibsFan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

It isn't harsh, though, is it? 

Point taken. Probably a bit hyperbolic on my part. I was just thinking that on paper, a 1 goal loss to England and Japan isn't too shabby. But even with that, a win against Argentina might still not be enough.

I think tomorrow will be  a very tough game. Argentina look no mugs and are a physical side. Having a look at Soccerway and their results I don't think is any use, Nigeria lost 8-0 to France in a friendly recently yet were very harshly beaten thanks to VAR last night.

Argentina will also fancy their chances tomorrow - they have actually got a point, and a win against us will more than likely seal them a last sixteen spot. Although they put a lot in to both games against Japan and England, will tomorrow be a bridge too far?

I hope to god Scotland win, but have a terrible feeling we'll come up short by drawing 1-1 or losing. We look quite poor at the back whilst they look fairly robust. I'm not going to kid on and pretend I have seen a lot of these players, but Corsie and to a lesser extent Beattie have both looked utter disasters at the back ; Corsie seemed to give the ball away a lot and made lots of mistakes in both games. Go with Cuthbert and Clelland from the start, drop Evans. Absolutely blagging it I am, but I hope we come out guns blazing as in both games we have started really poorly albeit against a teams that are ranked in the top 5 - and were finalists, and came second in the last WC.

Guest Bob Mahelp

We've kept 2 clean sheets in our last 15 games. Our defence is pretty weak and we effectively start each game a goal down. 

Combine that with a reticence to play to our attacking strengths and you can see why tomorrow night isn't a gimmee by any means.

We've kept 2 clean sheets in our last 15 games. Our defence is pretty weak and we effectively start each game a goal down. 
Combine that with a reticence to play to our attacking strengths and you can see why tomorrow night isn't a gimmee by any means.

Does not help that the keeper is about four feet tall and terrible.

But I’d also say the best Scottish players haven’t turned up, or aren’t being allowed to perform, so it’s not really fair to blame the worst players.

5 minutes ago, Kejan said:

Argentina will also fancy their chances tomorrow - they have actually got a point, and a win against us will more than likely seal them a last sixteen spot.

If they win they are guaranteed Round 2. A point could even be enough for them.

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Not having that, Lee's been one of Scotland's best players in France. Plus she's 5' 7",  walked past me in Rennes and I was surprised how tall she looked.

9 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

But I’d also say the best Scottish players haven’t turned up, or aren’t being allowed to perform, so it’s not really fair to blame the worst players.

Without some really good saves from Alexander we'd have been dead and buried on goal difference. And without her penalty save against Poland in the qualifiers, we probably wouldn't even be here. 

15 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Without some really good saves from Alexander we'd have been dead and buried on goal difference. And without her penalty save against Poland in the qualifiers, we probably wouldn't even be here. 

Absolutely. She's been outstanding. The only criticism from me would be the second Japan goal although she wasn't helped by seeing it late and the defender (Beattie?) diving out the way of it.

Imagine Fay was still playing, we would have lost both those games by 3/4 at least.

1 hour ago, AyrshireTon said:

I can remember once thinking “all we have to do is beat Morocco”.

I had a bottle of champagne in a cooler in the boot of a car parked a few streets from the Stade Geoffrey Guichard that night, I was that confident we were finally going to do it.

I will never, ever, ever let myself hope anything for a Scotland team ever again.

59 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I had a bottle of champagne in a cooler in the boot of a car parked a few streets from the Stade Geoffrey Guichard that night, I was that confident we were finally going to do it.

I will never, ever, ever let myself hope anything for a Scotland team ever again.

Even if we had beaten them, Brazil's result would have screwed us since they lost to Norway.

33 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Agreed, this game gives me the fear. If you didn't know the world ranking and the past results, and only went on what you'd seen in each teams two games so far, would anyone make Scotland favourite?

Anything's possible. Argentina need the win, so will they go for it? Will both teams? Or will both be too riven by fear in the biggest matches either side have ever played? Could be high scoring, could be 0-0. 

9 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Even if we had beaten them, Brazil's result would have screwed us since they lost to Norway.

Yes, that particular irony made the champagne taste even worse, oddly enough.

12 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

So win and we are in lads?

The odds are extremely good. A win of any kind only puts us out if one of Cameroon and New Zealand whumps the other, plus Chile beat Thailand by four more goals than our winning margin v Argentina. But Scotland will always be Scotland, and it would take a lot of bravery to bet against us getting put out by New Zealand on fair play points...

But Maxwell doesn’t see why Kerr couldn’t manage the men’s national team at some point?

1 hour ago, IggyStooge said:

The big time, big game players need to really step up and we may have a chance. Some of them haven't showed up yet.

1049006614_Screenshot_2019-06-19WomensWorldCupPickyourScotlandXItofaceArgentina(1).png.b6039eff1668a05467a8a75ce31c58ec.png

Not feeling that confident but wishing them all the best... 😬

Is that the team picked?

Archived