Billy Gilmour

Kuro

(Lets move the Hickey chat to the Hickey chat thread and lets chat about Hickey in the Hickey chat thread, if there is a Hickey chat thread to have Hickey chat in. If there isn't a Hickey chat thread then someone should create a Hickey chat thread so we can chat about Hickey)

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/billy-gilmour-pivotal-4-scotland-33086884

Edited by SlayerX

• 4 weeks later...

Billy Gilmour linked with an £8m move to Napoli. Apparently, Brighton want £12m.

£12m still seems like an incredibly low amount for a player of Gilmour's skill set.

The vast majority of football fans only judge midfielders by their goal and assist outlay. Ignoring passing ability, pass resistance, football intelligence, speed of mind, ability to make intelligent passes, etc.

The aforementioned is what won Spain the European Championship.

England don't have any playmakers. Certainly not in the mould of Gilmour.

A player like Gilmour, de Jong, Pedri, etc, may be not sexy. They may not assist or score many goals, but they are essential to any successful team.

The aforementioned players are metronomic and they control the midfield as well as setting the tone.

In actual fact, if Frenkie de Jong was fit to play at Euro 24, the Netherlands would have probably beat England.

It's interesting looking at the comparison between Manuel Ugarte and Billy Gilmour. Both have similar passing percentiles, etc. Both extremely pass resistant.

I'd say that Gilmour is a quicker passer. Makes up his mind sooner.

The only real difference is that Ugarte is a better tackler and he's better defensively.

The striking thing is that Brighton are asking for £12m, whereas PSG are asking for £58.9m.

The price differential is probably down to the status of their current clubs as well as their nationality.

Manchester United will probably pay the £58.9m for Ugarte as he'll be a replacement for Casemiro.

I see no reason why Napoli won't increase their bid to £12m for Gilmour.

He'd be incredible in Serie A. He'd improve and develop in a tactically good league, playing with better players and being coached by a better manager.

Conte, in his day, was a beast of a midfielder. Gilmour would benefit from working under him.

Hopefully it happens.

Gilmour at such a big and prestigious club would be amazing.

In such a short space of time this story has grown arms and legs. It's been reported everywhere reputable.

I get the impression that it'll happen.

Edit: Some impressive stats:

https://x.com/pranav_m28/status/1814391843830018074

https://x.com/pranav_m28/status/1813621146254008592

https://x.com/pranav_m28/status/1807353354135240983

Edited by Chripper

3 hours ago, Chripper said:

Billy Gilmour linked with an £8m move to Napoli. Apparently, Brighton want £12m.

£12m still seems like an incredibly low amount for a player of Gilmour's skill set.

The vast majority of football fans only judge midfielders by their goal and assist outlay. Ignoring passing ability, pass resistance, football intelligence, speed of mind, ability to make intelligent passes, etc.

The aforementioned is what won Spain the European Championship.

England don't have any playmakers. Certainly not in the mould of Gilmour.

A player like Gilmour, de Jong, Pedri, etc, may be not sexy. They may not assist or score many goals, but they are essential to any successful team.

The aforementioned players are metronomic and they control the midfield as well as setting the tone.

In actual fact, if Frenkie de Jong was fit to play at Euro 24, the Netherlands would have probably beat England.

It's interesting looking at the comparison between Manuel Ugarte and Billy Gilmour. Both have similar passing percentiles, etc. Both extremely pass resistant.

I'd say that Gilmour is a quicker passer. Makes up his mind sooner.

The only real difference is that Ugarte is a better tackler and he's better defensively.

The striking thing is that Brighton are asking for £12m, whereas PSG are asking for £58.9m.

The price differential is probably down to the status of their current clubs as well as their nationality.

Manchester United will probably pay the £58.9m for Ugarte as he'll be a replacement for Casemiro.

I see no reason why Napoli won't increase their bid to £12m for Gilmour.

He'd be incredible in Serie A. He'd improve and develop in a tactically good league, playing with better players and being coached by a better manager.

Conte, in his day, was a beast of a midfielder. Gilmour would benefit from working under him.

Hopefully it happens.

Gilmour at such a big and prestigious club would be amazing.

In such a short space of time this story has grown arms and legs. It's been reported everywhere reputable.

I get the impression that it'll happen.

Edit: Some impressive stats:

https://x.com/pranav_m28/status/1814391843830018074

https://x.com/pranav_m28/status/1813621146254008592

https://x.com/pranav_m28/status/1807353354135240983

£12 million for Gilmour is a steal considering Oli Burke was sold to RB Leipzig for £13 million. 

On 22/06/2024 at 08:54, Chripper said:

We build the team around Billy Gilmour. It is curious that he never finishes 90 mins for club or country, though.

Billy Gilmour played the full 90 mins in most of the games he played for Brighton last season. It's Clarke that regularly hooks him off first opportunity so he can replace him with a journeyman who does what he's telt

Be a shame if Gilmour moves, was looking forward to seeing what Fabi does with him.  He didn't really have any midfielders like Gilmour at St. Pauli.  

But if he goes to Italy that will be cool and suit his game. 

32 minutes ago, immcinto said:

Billy Gilmour played the full 90 mins in most of the games he played for Brighton last season. It's Clarke that regularly hooks him off first opportunity so he can replace him with a journeyman who does what he's telt

He played a full 90 minutes in just 14 league matches last season, and that's in a team that usually dominate possession. His fitness is clearly his biggest issue, but is also something that will come with time.

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

He played a full 90 minutes in just 14 league matches last season, and that's in a team that usually dominate possession. His fitness is clearly his biggest issue, but is also something that will come with time.

Spoiler

Out of the 22 EPL games he started he completed the full 90 minutes or was subbed near the final whistle 15 times. Same with 6 of the 8 Europa League games Brighton played. I suppose being pulled slightly before the game ends is a sign that the manager thinks maybe thinks your race is run so uses you as the option to burn up the clock so it could indicate a stamina issue. 

The issue with Gilmour has always been a lack of physicality. Whether that is the running power in tracking back, pace, strength, aerial presence etc. Because of his short stature and body type, I can't ever see much improvement in this side of his game and I think the big clubs recognise this. Add on top that his shooting ability isn't fantastic and rarely gets goals or assists and doesn't making surging or penetrating runs through the midfield

IMO this is the reason why clubs are unwilling to spend huge sums on him. 

Edited by Butters Scotch

2 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

The issue with Gilmour has always been a lack of physicality. Whether that is the running power in tracking back, pace, strength, aerial presence etc. Because of his short stature and body type, I can't ever see much improvement in this side of his game and I think the big clubs recognise this. Add on top that his shooting ability isn't fantastic and rarely gets goals or assists and doesn't making surging or pentrating runs through the midfield

I agree in general, although not necessarily with the specific points. I think Gilmour is a good player and offers a unique skillset for Scotland, but probably doesn't offer that at club level - particularly for the best teams. I think the positive aspects of his game probably aren't attractive or unique enough to offset the less positive aspects.

Gilmour has huge experience on his side for a young player which is a plus. I think we saw good, bad and indifferent from him for Scotland at the Euros and I think he probably isn't ready to make a step up in level in his career even if a club came in for him. For me a move to a less physical league (assuming that's still the case in Italy) would reduce the opportunity for growth in that area. 

11 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Nice to see you back, yes he made a slight mistake there correct to pick him up. Not a big mistake like yourself promoting Steve Clarke like he's the second coming for 5 years. 

But hey ho.

2 minutes ago, Ranana Ban said:

Nice to see you back, yes he made a slight mistake there correct to pick him up. Not a big mistake like yourself promoting Steve Clarke like he's the second coming for 5 years. 

But hey ho.

OK. No idea who you are but thanks for your concern.

18 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

OK. No idea who you are but thanks for your concern.

It's your old mate Bing, I'd suggest a name change for yourself also. At this stage can you really not be "Craig Silly"

5 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

The issue with Gilmour has always been a lack of physicality. Whether that is the running power in tracking back, pace, strength, aerial presence etc. Because of his short stature and body type, I can't ever see much improvement in this side of his game and I think the big clubs recognise this. Add on top that his shooting ability isn't fantastic and rarely gets goals or assists and doesn't making surging or pentrating runs through the midfield

I think this is mostly true, if he was bigger, stronger, faster he would of course be better. And he's never gonna be bigger, or much stronger or faster.

I think he will still develop a bit physically so could step up another level in future. I think the goals thing tbh had been a bit of bad luck. Despite this he's a tidy finisher especially from range, hopefully he can prove it in the future.

Edited by Ranana Ban

12 minutes ago, Ranana Ban said:

. And he's never gonna be bigger, or much stronger or faster.

He isn't going to get taller but he could certainly get stronger. Luka Modric was considered too lightweight in his first season at Spurs and he was then 24 yo. 

9 minutes ago, immcinto said:

He isn't going to get taller but he could certainly get stronger. Luka Modric was considered too lightweight in his first season at Spurs and he was then 24 yo. 

Yeah for sure but Luka Modric is also one of the most technically gifted and just all round sexy players there's been in like 30 years! 

At a point I thought Bilmore was on that kind of arc but I don't think he's going to get near that level. I'd be delighted to be wrong tho.

The English tax is a thing. Elliot Anderson has done nothing in the EPL and yet he cost Nottingham Forest £35m*

£12m is an absolute steal for Gilmour's skillset.

(Yes. He be English till he proves otherwise)