The official Boris pm cluster-fuck thread

pandarilla

Hoping that BoJo the Chump gets his P45 tonight.  Brexit is - as predicted - a disaster and we need a PM to build bridges back with the EU.  We also need a PM who is socially liberal and fiscally prudent so we need the following priorities:

1. A focus on business growth and development.
2. An immigration policy which is i) an open door to skilled workers from wherever and ii) supportive of refugees and asylum-seekers with a planned programme of education and support.
3. A decent working relationship with the EU to break the NI logjam and get us as close as possible to some EFTA-style relationship.
4. A huge reduction in government spending/borrowing allied to a culling of the civil service.

Now that Nippy has outed herself as a royalist I'm much less worried about ScotchNattery but it is a drain on people's personal taxation so, over time, we do have to find a way for Scotland to pay for itself.  We also need to deal with the The Chamber of Ignorance that is the E'burgh assembly - but that can be deferred until the next GE.

So, fingers crossed, we have a Tory leadership election tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Hoping that BoJo the Chump gets his P45 tonight.  Brexit is - as predicted - a disaster and we need a PM to build bridges back with the EU.  We also need a PM who is socially liberal and fiscally prudent so we need the following priorities:

1. A focus on business growth and development.
2. An immigration policy which is i) an open door to skilled workers from wherever and ii) supportive of refugees and asylum-seekers with a planned programme of education and support.
3. A decent working relationship with the EU to break the NI logjam and get us as close as possible to some EFTA-style relationship.
4. A huge reduction in government spending/borrowing allied to a culling of the civil service.

Now that Nippy has outed herself as a royalist I'm much less worried about ScotchNattery but it is a drain on people's personal taxation so, over time, we do have to find a way for Scotland to pay for itself.  We also need to deal with the The Chamber of Ignorance that is the E'burgh assembly - but that can be deferred until the next GE.

So, fingers crossed, we have a Tory leadership election tomorrow.

I don't recall anyone asking for your opinion 

8 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

Wings Over Scotland | We need to talk about Ian

Murray made an effort to get all dressed up too till he was reminded that he wasn't an official Tory MP so couldn't vote.

A reminder that the Tories do not have the monopoly on unionist cuntery.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

I saw on the BBC that 141 MPs have publicly backed Johnson. That’s not great for him is it?

It's probably mostly MP's on the payroll who don't want to be sacked tomorrow but can vote against him in the secret ballot.

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I saw on the BBC that 141 MPs have publicly backed Johnson. That’s not great for him is it?

The vote was called really quickly. Like they could not prevent it happening type of quickly.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

It's probably mostly MP's on the payroll who don't want to be sacked tomorrow but can vote against him in the secret ballot.

Tory MPs live for this stuff. Treachery, knifing people in the back. World leaders in it.

Really there is no argument for him to stay. It’s not like he’s unpopular for things that can be fixed, pretty much everyone hates him now. I think the “he won the 2019 election” line is the only thing swaying people but these days that doesn’t wash. I think that most political parties votes are fairly soft, voters are more likely to abandon their party now. In my lifetime, the story of UK politics was two landslides - 1983 and 1997 - both of which were chipped away at incrementally in the next 10+ years. It took both Labour and the Tories time to make up enough ground to win. I helped out on the Labour campaign in 1997 in Inverness and one of the activists told me how they’d built up people willing to help - in one village they’d had a couple in 1983, a few more in 1992 and by that point they had a lot of people willing to help and some members there.  It was a long process.

Now constituencies will change hands bang ina minute. One bad year and everything’s up in the air. The Tories could easily be absolutely smashed at the next election, Labour winning back Nirthern towns, Lib Dems and Greens bleeding the Home Counties from them, tactical voting finishing them off. 

The end result is that they may as well bin off Boris. He’s done now, dead man walking.

18 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

an open door to skilled workers from wherever

Some of our biggest labour shortages count as unskilled, like in the care sector, agriculture and hospitality. We should be training up our own skilled workers instead of importing them imo, at least in the medium to long term. I was reading in the West Highland Press that Skye has managed to recruit 3 trained nurses from Zambia, I'm not sure if this is something to brag about.