The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2020

21 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Surprised it's not been posted, but sad to announce that stalwart WWE announcer and Hall of Famer, Howard Finkel has announced his last at the age of 69. 

And he's got a BBC obit, which, since he's one of my picks, I'll link here for Miguel's benefit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52331353

On 12/04/2020 at 12:47, Miguel Sanchez said:

Week 14 update

f**k me, there's hunners of them

After all of that, the standings now look like this:

1. Bishop Briggs 242
2. pub car king 223
3. ToBeSomeone 174

4. JustOneCornetto 173
5. sureiknow 144
6. weejack 140
7. Ned Nederlander 127

8. alta-pete, sparky88 124
10. statts1976uk 123
11. Ben Twilly, ICTJohnboy 107

13. Musketeer Gripweed 96
14. thistledo, Hamish's Passenger 94
16. Arch Stanton 85
17. Fuctifano, The_Craig 83
19. weirdcal 82
20. sleazy 77

21. 101 63
22. lichtgilphead, Melanius Mullarkey 55

24. choirbairn 51
25. chomp my root, Speroni*1, mathematics, Speckled Tangerine 48
29. CountyFan, doulikefish 44
31. lolls, peasy23 35
33. Bold Rover, D.V.T. 34
35. Cardinal Richelieu 33

36. 50/50 Winner, Blootoon87, cambozpar, cdisaaccie, HI HAT, LondonHMFC, LoonsYouthTeam, Mark Connolly, Meden89, microdave, psv_killie, Scotty Tunbridge, Sergeant Wilson, shuggz 22
50. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores and I'm away for a lie down: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V64rLXKhrmZf-6K4D3RyN3cR5Z_i2rh-ztODUB_dQyI/edit?usp=sharing

In order to avoid doing real work, I started doing my own spreadsheet jiggery-pokery and I think I've spotted two or maybe three mistakes here.

As far as I can tell, pub car king should only be on 205 points. His two successful picks so far are Kirk Douglas (for 22) and the inspired Caroline Flack VC pick for 183, and that's what's showing on your spreadsheet, but you've added them up to 223.

sureiknow is only on 141 points. That's what's on the spreadsheet, but you've transcribed it wrong for the standings above.

Also Pearl Carr's birthday on the sheet is wrong, but you've somehow magically calculated sleazy's point score from the correct date (she knocked a couple of years off like a lot of female entertainers of that era). Good job!

Apologies to both players concerned for diddling them out of unfairly gained points, but sporting integrity is at stake here. What would onlookers think about the noble sport of Dead Pool, if they found out the scoring system was rigged?

1 minute ago, Aim Here said:

In order to avoid doing real work, I started doing my own spreadsheet jiggery-pokery and I think I've spotted two or maybe three mistakes here.

As far as I can tell, pub car king should only be on 205 points. His two successful picks so far are Kirk Douglas (for 22) and the inspired Caroline Flack VC pick for 183, and that's what's showing on your spreadsheet, but you've added them up to 223.

sureiknow is only on 141 points. That's what's on the spreadsheet, but you've transcribed it wrong for the standings above.

Also Pearl Carr's birthday on the sheet is wrong, but you've somehow magically calculated sleazy's point score from the correct date (she knocked a couple of years off like a lot of female entertainers of that era). Good job!

Apologies to both players concerned for diddling them out of unfairly gained points, but sporting integrity is at stake here. What would onlookers think about the noble sport of Dead Pool, if they found out the scoring system was rigged?

Fucking disqualify this cūnt @Miguel Sanchez, he undermining you!

Week 15 update

Quick note: sureiknow and pub car king's scores have been corrected in the standings and the spreadsheet. Wikipedia says Pearl Carr's birthday is the 2nd of November which is what's on the spreadsheet, so I don't know what's going on there.

Two deaths this week, a wrestling guy and a wrestling guy disguised as a footballer. First up, Howard Finkel: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52331353

Finkel's voice was synonymous with World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) in the 1980s and 1990s, and he announced wrestlers from Hulk Hogan to Stone Cold Steven Austin.

He made his debut for the World Wide Wrestling Federation - the predecessor to WWE - in 1977.

The announcer then became the first person WWE hired when it was established in 1980.

Finkel ultimately became its longest-serving employee.

He was a Solo Shot for... oh for f**k sake, @Aim Here. He was 69 when he died, worth 56 Base Points. Add 50 for the Solo Shot and it's a total of 106.

===================

Also this week was former Leeds player, Norman Hunter: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52246007

I like reading about football players from the 60s, 70s and 80s. It seems like an entirely different sport, culture and individual reputation from the one we have now. Seeing pictures or video of these unassuming looking men in immaculate colours just looks right. It looks like people playing sport purely because it's what they do. As much as I enjoy laughing at the few inexplicable Leeds fans we have in their thread on the Misc. Football board, a football club lost someone who played more than 500 games for them, who was in their greatest ever team. I think as sport fans we can all appreciate someone who meant so much to so many people.

He's also another Covid-19 victim. It's a hell of a virus, this.

He was a Solo Shot for @dee_62, ending what seems to be a years long dry spell. This is what happens when you pick a theme team. He was 76 when he died so that's 49 Base Points plus the Solo Shot for 99 points total.

As a result, the standings now look like this:

1. Bishop Briggs 242
2. pub car king 205
3. ToBeSomeone 174

4. JustOneCornetto 173
5. sureiknow 141
6. weejack 140
7. Ned Nederlander 127

8. alta-pete, sparky88 124
10. statts1976uk 123
11. Ben Twilly, ICTJohnboy 107
13. Aim Here 106
14. dee_62 99

15. Musketeer Gripweed 96
16. thistledo, Hamish's Passenger 94
18. Arch Stanton 85
19. Fuctifano, The_Craig 83
21. weirdcal 82
22. sleazy 77

23. 101 63
24. lichtgilphead, Melanius Mullarkey 55

26. choirbairn 51
27. chomp my root, Speroni*1, mathematics, Speckled Tangerine 48
31. CountyFan, doulikefish 44
33. lolls, peasy23 35
35. Bold Rover, D.V.T. 34
37. Cardinal Richelieu 33

38. 50/50 Winner, Blootoon87, cambozpar, cdisaaccie, HI HAT, LondonHMFC, LoonsYouthTeam, Mark Connolly, Meden89, microdave, psv_killie, Scotty Tunbridge, Sergeant Wilson, shuggz 22
52. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V64rLXKhrmZf-6K4D3RyN3cR5Z_i2rh-ztODUB_dQyI/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

4 hours ago, Aim Here said:

The same as Hearts, Jags and Stranraer fans think about the SPFL's rigged vote to end this season!

7 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

The same as Hearts, Jags and Stranraer fans think about the SPFL's rigged vote to end this season!

Rangers should demand an inquiry . After all they've got experience of being dead...

He was a Solo Shot for [mention=14817]dee_62[/mention], ending what seems to be a years long dry spell. This is what happens when you pick a theme team

Into my 4th year with the same starting lineup. A sad day (for Leeds fans) but happy one (for me).

I’m sure the rest of the team are bricking it now. Onwards and upwards for both me and Norman.

54 minutes ago, dee_62 said:

Into my 4th year with the same starting lineup. 
I’m sure the rest of the team are bricking it now. 

I didn’t enter this year so will pick your lot to support. Who else is in the side?

10 hours ago, dee_62 said:

Many thanks for the vote of confidence but my lot will no doubt all pop their clogs before the year end.

In which case we’ll be celebrating a famous victory. Manager and fans, that is, rather than playing staff.