Dundee United v Dundee. Dundee Derby

I saw Dundee last week at Thistle and was a little bit worried in the run up to this, they clearly aren’t the finished article yet but do have some quality players and moved the ball about well. They beat a thistle team which was also much improved from the last time I saw them fairly convincingly.
It would have been typical for us coming off this run to lose this game, especially given how mental these occasions can be.
It’s the first derby I haven’t managed to watch this season as I was out last night, and it lends you an interesting perspective on things. I’m seeing a lot of united fans on Twitter and here who are clearly pissed off about the 2nd half performance, the fact that Dundee came from behind, and the fact that they think the Dundee fans were OTT in their celebrations.
I personally feel absolutely fine about it, I think because I’m able to separate myself from the emotions of the moment from last night, and also because crucially- we clearly weren’t at our best, but still didn’t lose.
We’re at least 11 points clear at the turn of the year, unbeaten in 10, unbeaten at home, unbeaten in the derbies and still 17 points clear of Dundee, who like stumigoo I think will kick on now and finish 2nd.
We’re also in a position where we know we have areas to improve but broadly haven’t been badly punished for these issues.
Attention now has to turn to bolstering our squad in January to ensure no major slip ups happen and that we’re ready for the likelihood of promotion.

I also reserve the right to come back on here absolutely spewing once I watch the game back this afternoon.

3 minutes ago, dregs 83 said:

Probably the ones you unfollowed after the first two derbies this season.

I don't follow any United fans - or Dundee fans for that matter on Twitter. The patter on there is worse than on here. 

I'd appreciate the links to them though. 

I don't follow any United fans - or Dundee fans for that matter on Twitter. The patter on there is worse than on here. 
I'd appreciate the links to them though. 

If you could manage to sneak your way on the Arabs anonymous Facebook group I’m sure you would have plenty of fun with that

7 minutes ago, Dele said:

The morning after the game and Random comes on with another cry for attention. He's turning into the Perth Flybhoy. :(

Just pointing out the hypocrisy of Dundee fans claiming I'm obsessed, when one of your own wakes up in the morning and starts rattling through all my posts to red dot them.

Becoming a common thing with Biggie.

Another game I've watched and I still have no idea why Dundee fans on here seem so high on Danny Johnson btw. Contributed f**k all then made an arse of possibly the best opportunity to win the game.
I don't know if there's a story there but it looked frosty before the game as well, quick hand shake, zero eye contact and the both of them looking a bit torn faced.
Lol
It's cute how excited some of yous are cos you never got pumped.
You okay this morning ?
Seem to not be settled today. Being a Saturday and a shite football card I get how you feel.
However plenty to be doing.

3 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

You okay this morning ?
Seem to not be settled today. Being a Saturday and a shite football card I get how you feel.
However plenty to be doing.

At work with f**k all to do mate, appreciate the concern though.

That was an important second half for us - getting the point but also looking very solid.

I'm resigned to United winning the league - for us there are two musts now - finishing second but also going into the playoffs as a team that is hard to beat but can still score goals.

Dropping Forster has been the right move IMHO - I know Meekings was partly at fault for United's goal but do believe that he still is not completely match fit - the more games he plays the better - McGhee is a solid player and Jordan Marshall has been immense. Cammy still gives me the fear, but, if he sticks to the basics, he will do for the moment. Think the combination of Robertson, Dorrans and McGowan interchanging works well - not so sure about Mackie - he did do well and got some decent balls in but is far too prone to losing the ball when he switches off - still think McDaid is more dangerous. Front two worked their socks off - Kane Hemmings works so hard - really unselfish sort of player you want in your team - hasn't had too many goalscoring chances but when he dies get them he has usually taken them.

Thought United had a good first 15/20 minutes then they sat back, going deeper and deeper as the game went on. Second half they were completely ineffective - lumping the ball up to Shankland and a chasm between him and his supporting players. The biggest threat I felt was them scoring from a set-piece or Flap/Cammy having a moment - and the closest they came was from Kerr diving in on Sporle. United's best player wasn't Butcher - I genuinely think he was lucky to stay on the park - for me it was Watson who was very solid and calm throughout. Thought United's biggest weakness was at fullback - feel that a team with width could expose them more than we did.

Overall a draw was a fair result - even if over the piece we possibly could have scored another - a superb save by Siegrist from McGowan and Johnson making a complete arse of a brilliant ball in from Mackie.

My main gripe was the referee - as I said I thought Butcher should have been booked way earlier - but he was also too quick to blow up for the most innocuous of challenges from either side. Siegrist and Smith going down like they'd been shot didn't help but a good referee would have sorted it by telling them to get up and having a quiet word with the attacker.

An enjoyable game for what still is the best derby in Scotland in terms of atmosphere and the spirit of the game.

I can’t claim to have seen him many times this season but appere doesn’t look like a left winger. He has struggled against cammy kerr
In both derbies (kerr is a very average right back). He looks more suited to the number 10 position which nicky clark seems to occupy.

United fans go on about shankland but it seems if mcmullan doesnt play then united dont play. He was well marshalled last night (pun intended)

I can’t claim to have seen him many times this season but appere doesn’t look like a left winger. He has struggled against cammy kerr
In both derbies (kerr is a very average right back). He looks more suited to the number 10 position which nicky clark seems to occupy.

United fans go on about shankland but it seems if mcmullan doesnt play then united dont play. He was well marshalled last night (pun intended)
We've had times when we could have had Ronaldo and Messi up front and we wouldn't have scored - a striker can only score if they get service. It's the mistake we (or rather Forster) made in the first game - he targeted Shankland instead of just making sure the ball didn't reach him. In some ways the second half (and a large part of the first) mirrored the second derby when United closed down our midfield and we resorted to lumping it up to Hemmings.

2 hours ago, dregs 83 said:

I saw Dundee last week at Thistle and was a little bit worried in the run up to this, they clearly aren’t the finished article yet but do have some quality players and moved the ball about well. They beat a thistle team which was also much improved from the last time I saw them fairly convincingly.
It would have been typical for us coming off this run to lose this game, especially given how mental these occasions can be.
It’s the first derby I haven’t managed to watch this season as I was out last night, and it lends you an interesting perspective on things. I’m seeing a lot of united fans on Twitter and here who are clearly pissed off about the 2nd half performance, the fact that Dundee came from behind, and the fact that they think the Dundee fans were OTT in their celebrations.
I personally feel absolutely fine about it, I think because I’m able to separate myself from the emotions of the moment from last night, and also because crucially- we clearly weren’t at our best, but still didn’t lose.
We’re at least 11 points clear at the turn of the year, unbeaten in 10, unbeaten at home, unbeaten in the derbies and still 17 points clear of Dundee, who like stumigoo I think will kick on now and finish 2nd.
We’re also in a position where we know we have areas to improve but broadly haven’t been badly punished for these issues.
Attention now has to turn to bolstering our squad in January to ensure no major slip ups happen and that we’re ready for the likelihood of promotion.

I also reserve the right to come back on here absolutely spewing once I watch the game back this afternoon.

That’s a fair assumption of us last week and in general but I’m sure you could see the problems McPake made at Partick for us with about 20 minutes to go with his tactical change. That’s a major problem for us. 

You can’t be wanting your club to go and spend more money surely. How much money losses per week do you think is sustainable? The league’s over....

Edited by Yenitit

1 minute ago, Yenitit said:

You can’t be wanting your club to go and spend more money surely. How much money losses per week do you think is sustainable? The league’s over....

They really shouldn't be spending in January and tightening their own leash, but if they're thinking about it I invite them to.