The Relegation Battle

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

2nd, 3rd and 4th are all play-off spots. So if you're in the hunt for 2nd you're in the hunt for the play-offs, not "never mind" the play-offs. That was the only thing I was questioning.

Ah right fair enough, my bad! 

In the six games prior to going to Alloa on 21 December, we had five defeats and only one win with real danger of going into freefall. In the six since, three wins, two draws and only one defeat. Yet we’re still only two points from 9th and four from 10th.

If we can maintain something like the form of that last six over the next six we’ll be fine, but this is a massive month. Playing Queen of the South twice and Alloa gives us a chance to open up a gap to 9th, but we’re obviously going to lose games as well and if we lose a couple of them we’re still going to be right among it even if we were also to win against Ayr, ICT and Arbroath - the league would just be getting even tighter from 2nd-9th/10th.

I’d absolutely take 8th if offered it now, but if we did get the wins to open up a relatively comfortable gap over 9th that would inevitably put us right in the mix for 4th, which is a ridiculous thought. This league is wild.

I would absolutely not 'take 8th' right now given that most of the division are in a similar position to ourselves. More points than or a similar placing to last season (46 points; 6th) was my benchmark for an acceptable season at the beginning of the campaign and I see no reason to change that.

I would definitely take 8th after our last two performances.

I genuinely think we're hopeless.  A run as bad as last year's doesn't feel inconceivable, or even that unlikely right now.  If anything close to it happens this time, I really can't see us negotiating playoffs successfully.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I would definitely take 8th after our last two performances.

I genuinely think we're hopeless.  A run as bad as last year's doesn't feel inconceivable, or even that unlikely right now.  If anything close to it happens this time, I really can't see us negotiating playoffs successfully.

Had a (on paper) poor window and the last 2 results at home have been poor. Based on performances against Dunfermline, I'd say Thistle and Arbroath are poorer sides than Queens.

Had a (on paper) poor window and the last 2 results at home have been poor. Based on performances against Dunfermline, I'd say Thistle and Arbroath are poorer sides than Queens.

Arbroath are a weird side. They have looked mediocre against us but they pull results out the bag and aren't 5th due to good luck. Hard to call where they'll finish.

Arbroath are a weird side. They have looked mediocre against us but they pull results out the bag and aren't 5th due to good luck. Hard to call where they'll find.

We've been shite away to QOTS and both games against Dunfermline, 2 out of 3 games against Morton, once against Alloa and Dundee away and once at home to Ayr. 8 games where we've been really poor.

In the rest of the games we've been good and think the results show that. Been superb against ICT and Partick.

Wighton and Hilson clearly added a whole load more for us going forward too it's as clear as day after a couple of games. We've won the last 2 league games without Bobby playing a single second. Might not seem like a big deal from the outside but it's massive for us, he's single handedly dragged us to where we are we don't win the league last season without him and he's assisted 5 of our goals by literally putting them on a plate and scored 6 of them this season and we've only scored 21 goals.

Look forward to seeing him get a chance alongside Wighton and Hilson.

I think we will be ok.

I'm pleasantly surprised that we are still in the battle. The managerial change didn't come at a great time given Goodwin would have been looking at a few loans in August. Grant didn't do that, which was understandable to an extent when he didn't know our team or the league, but it left us weaker than last season and very short on numbers until New Year. We've also been hugely unfortunate in terms of serious injuries with Parry out for season, then his very impressive replacement Macdonald suffering a bad injury, and Andy Graham also gone long term. The team deserve great credit for hanging in. 

With Grant having added a few players we now have more options than in the first half of the season. The spirit is as strong as ever and O'Hara has emerged as a serious threat. If we had Parry or Macdonald and Graham fit, I'd now be quietly confident that we could pull this off. As it stands, big ask with a young keeper and defence. Also helps if the arse falls out of somebody else's season and I'm not sure that's going to happen, everyone is capable of picking up points. 

Suspect we're set for 10th but as I'd say to anyone else, it would be daft to rule out this Alloa team. 

Edited by Waspie

Alloa have a wildcard in O’Hara. Someone that absolutely no one predicted would do as well as he is doing and is in better form than anyone else playing for one of the relegation threatened teams. He’ll be massive for the next few months and will probably earn himself a move back to FT football in the process.

Alloa have a wildcard in O’Hara. Someone that absolutely no one predicted would do as well as he is doing and is in better form than anyone else playing for one of the relegation threatened teams. He’ll be massive for the next few months and will probably earn himself a move back to FT football in the process.
Not in better form than Kevin Nisbet.

14 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Bit of split loyalties for me tomorrow with regards the Dundee v Partick Thistle game. On one hand I desperately want Thistle relegated however Dundee dropping points would be a better result for us.

Mon the draw. 

Desperately. Fucking hell. 

100 percent understand why Ayr fans would take a whole load of pleasure from Ian McCall getting relegated to be fair.
The way in which he left seems to have stung a bit but given what he did for Ayr I think you'd have to be an extremely bitter individual to get great pleasure from him failing elsewhere.

extremely bitter individual .

Most football fans in a nutshell tbf when it comes to people leaving. [emoji23]

If he left to better himself and ended up doing a lot worse than where he was then it's totally understandable.

It's only football too maybe need to chill a bit.