Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Course there is. It's like how they used to operate alcohol sales when they were prohibited at certain times, like Sunday mornings. Don't know if that's still the case, but it's a simple code that stops certain things being scanned at certain times or a certain number being scanned in one go.
It's centralised, not input by the staff.
Same as how discounts work.
Alcohol has been the case in scotland for some time regarding times of purchase ( not just a sunday )

So it's done centrally which is quite obvious , why on earth would tesco do this when we are making a silly amount of money ? Not that the staff will see any of it but it's just as busy as what it is leading up to xmas would be

Tesco have it. I believe Bleach, Soap and Wipes may already have been added. It's the same software as limits the medicinal drugs such as paracetamol and an asterisk should show on the till receipt against the specified products.
I'm unsure what the current limits are for each product (possibly 5 bottles of bleach) but once the 5th one is scanned through the till should automatically block any further product on that visit.
Certainly wasnt this morning.
Bleach is weird considering we are nowhere near running out of it.
So its happened in last 45 minutes. We would usually get told about this.
Paracetamol is nothing new however.

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, G_Man1985 said:

Alcohol has been the case in scotland for some time regarding times of purchase ( not just a sunday )

So it's done centrally which is quite obvious , why on earth would tesco do this when we are making a silly amount of money ? Not that the staff will see any of it but it's just as busy as what it is leading up to xmas would be

Similar to how the government doesn't necessarily care how many people catch the virus, but they care how quickly they catch it, Tesco may take the view that they don't want to sell out of stuff faster than their supply chains can re-stock it.

When I worked at Sainsbury's (years ago, mind), our manager was horrified at any kind of empty shelf. It was seen as poor service and just shabby.

By limiting the number of sales per person, Tesco can give the impression that they are adequately stocked and be seen to be looking out for their customers as a whole. And it'll cost them nothing.

That said, if they can re-stock as fast as panic buyers are buying, then fair enough. But after a while they probably can't.

6 minutes ago, Herman Hessian said:

so - heard it a few times that "this is the UK's most serious public health crisis for a generation"

what was the previous thing they're referring to here ?

Anne Widdecombe was on TV yesterday, so probably Mad Cow Disease. 

6 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Because "Nobody tries harder for the customer" ???

8 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

During this crisis the restriction on buying alcohol at only certain times should be lifted.

so - heard it a few times that "this is the UK's most serious public health crisis for a generation"

Swine flu had a significantly lower death rate than seasonal flu, apparently because it seemed to mainly affect younger people.

The HIV/AIDS epidemic of the 80s and early 90s is probably the last time that public health measures were headline news. Obviously that is a very different virus both in how it’s transmitted and the impact it has on the infected person.

Before that you’d have to be talking about the Spanish flu, which is a bit more than a generation ago.

Govan was crawling with polis earlier, saw 5 pairs on foot, one pair on bike and a few vans just cruising about. A bit disconcerting, trial runs for shut down maybe, especially as they've got no events to police now.

Last September I made an effort to fill cupboards with beans and tomatoes when they were on offer in Lidl anticipating price rises after no deal Brexit so I'm very well stocked. I'm going to do one more lidl shop to fill up on fresher stuff and then I'm locking down. Reckon I could go over a month with what I have, might need to adopt the Calcutta rinse by the end though.

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Before that you’d have to be talking about the Spanish flu, which is a bit more than a generation ago.

My folks still talk about the Asian flu from the 1950s which sounded a bit of a nightmare but yeah it's a while ago now.

37 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

A serious question - why have they not considered banning cash payments (ie imposing cashless as standard), as banknotes and coins must be a prime source of potential infection?

Clearly not listening to Off The Ball. 

Minimal risk of infection from cash apparently. 

20 minutes ago, Herman Hessian said:

Austerity.

2 hours ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Yeah I’m the same been told not to expect to be back in the office until the end of May.

Madness packing up the desk yesterday with screens etc and setting up a home office this morning.

Surreal feeling but I’m basically socially distancing myself now, might as well.

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

My work haven’t expressly told us to work from home but they’re not fussed if we do. I like working from home on a Tuesday and a Thursday as it breaks up the week. Working from home for more than a couple of days will cause me to go nuts. Unless I just ‘work from home’ and watch box sets and go a few walks.

I work from home Tuesday & Wednesday usually anyway so I'm already set up for it. Usually I go to a spin class or walk at lunchtime to break up the day.

f**k knows what it'll be like doing it full timer for the next 3 months, though.