Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, jock_the_squak said:

Just been along Falkirk High Street as I had to get something in Wilko and the old dears of Falkirk must have the "it'll never happen to me" attitude as the the street was thronged with them

Before anyone asks, I work in Falkirk, I'm not here by choice

You choose to work in Falkirk?

Just had this e-mailed from a friend. Might be of interest to non-clatty types..........

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As sanitiser is not an option right now because of bulk-buying, I thought I'd share a recipe for home-made sanitiser. This assumes access to surgical spirits, but hopefully those are easier to get than basic sanitiser.

Edit: HANDWASHING IS STILL PRIORITY #1

70% surgical spirit
30% aloe vera gel
20/30 drops of essential oils to take away from the surgical spirit smell eg lavender/ tea tree oil

for the hand sanitiser to work it must be at least 60% surgical spirit.

Once made this solution needs to be shaken regularly as the surgical spirit and aloe vera separate.

A lot of people are going to realise fairly soon that their jobs don't matter, no-one cares if they don't do them, and that's going to have a massively profound impact on their mental health.

Just now, Florentine_Pogen said:

Just had this e-mailed from a friend. Might be of interest to non-clatty types..........

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As sanitiser is not an option right now because of bulk-buying, I thought I'd share a recipe for home-made sanitiser. This assumes access to surgical spirits, but hopefully those are easier to get than basic sanitiser.

70% surgical spirit
30% aloe vera gel
20/30 drops of essential oils to take away from the surgical spirit smell eg lavender/ tea tree oil

Once made this solution needs to be shaken regularly as the surgical spirit and aloe vera separate.

Is your friend one of those MLM nutters who try to pyramid sell essential oils on Facebook?

Just now, Florentine_Pogen said:

70% surgical spirit
30% aloe vera gel

^^^^ still has his Blue Peter badge on display at home.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

My next appointment isn't till the end of next week so I'm not going to bother them till Monday or so, they must be manic trying to prioritise and cancel appointments where necessary. I read somewhere that especially high risk people (because of chemo/leukaemia etc) should get a letter in the post next week.

His platelets are quite low so wouldn't be too much problem to take him off chemo for 4-6 weeks but with lack of info on length of possible threat I don't want to jump the gun and have him back on it at peak virus time. I'm sure the clinic is working their asses off trying to sort out proper info for all patients but more info from health departments would be good in general.

We also have an enormous computer monitor sitting on the dining room table, now known as the 'second office'. 

What amazes me though is the computer that she's not been sent home with, which is the size of a 1990s CD Walkman, yet does the job of a tower station. 

6 minutes ago, Gaz said:

A lot of people are going to realise fairly soon that their jobs don't matter, no-one cares if they don't do them, and that's going to have a massively profound impact on their mental health.

Fully expect to be "automated" out of a job in the next few years as it is. I'm just hoping for a good pay off before I go...

2 hours ago, The DA said:

I've decided to self-isolate from all COVID-19 news.  I'm a worrier - and this isn't helping.

A once-a-day A once-an-hour check to see of the guidelines have changed but that's it.

FTFY

What I don't get is why has this virus suddenly jumped from bats to humans now? I'm sure bats have been getting eaten in those parts for years. 

That reminds me, I'll need to get some Bacofoil next time I'm at the shops.