Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, MixuFixit said:

NEW MUM UPDATE

I fiiiiinally got a shopping list off her. Some choice excerpts:

• Proper weetabix not own brand.
  • Small tomatoes, but not cherry tomato small (actual result because they're sold out after of 3 days procrastination: ZERO tomatoes. You get ZERO tomatoes).
  • Cambozola cheese
  • Lavazza coffee
  • Il Casolare fancy olive oil (ZERO)
  • Cushelle Toilet Roll (hollow laughter)
  • Allisons's strong bread flour, not own brand (more hollow laughter)
  • Assam tea but not Twinings, we don't like Twinings

Jesus give me strength. I have ordered what I could order, including some things that are going to go down like a bag of sick. They're not going to live in the circumstances to which they have become accustomed but they won't starve, bless them.

First delivery slot available in Inverness was April 7th today. Think they'll have to restrict home delivery to the most vulnerable.

4 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

NEW MUM UPDATE

I fiiiiinally got a shopping list off her. Some choice excerpts:

• Proper weetabix not own brand.
  • Small tomatoes, but not cherry tomato small (actual result because they're sold out after of 3 days procrastination: ZERO tomatoes. You get ZERO tomatoes).
  • Cambozola cheese
  • Lavazza coffee
  • Il Casolare fancy olive oil (ZERO)
  • Cushelle Toilet Roll (hollow laughter)
  • Allisons's strong bread flour, not own brand (more hollow laughter)
  • Assam tea but not Twinings, we don't like Twinings

Jesus give me strength. I have ordered what I could order, including some things that are going to go down like a bag of sick. They're not going to live in the circumstances to which they have become accustomed but they won't starve, bless them.

That is possibly the most boomer thing I've ever read in my life. 

Edited by GiGi

3 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

No answer then?

I'm not saying or said that we should produce all our own goods. I'm saying we specificly refuse to take any of china's products.

How would that protect us against global viruses, even if they originate in China?

Edited by welshbairn

25 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

It is, yes

Not just for our country

What do China produce that no other country could produce?

Covid-19, if you are to be believed.

Apologies if common knowledge, but can I ask a question please.... Italy and France, to name two, imposed the ‘full Monty’ lockdown, while we asked folk to stay away from pubs, clubs, restaurants... the arguments are raging that they went full-on, while we kind of went half-arsed, so to speak. Does anyone know what the timescale (roughly) is for knowing if they were right and we were wrong? How long does the UK give it to have a decent idea if our route is working or not?

Edited by pozbaird

I would personally like to thank the Tory government for making my work hell today.

Turns out absolutely everyone thinks this three month mortgage payment holiday thing applies to them (it doesn't), we have to give it to them (we can't) and they will get it just by asking (they wont)

They aren't happy when they find this out because they've just read a headline that says they can. Take it up with the Daily Mirror hen

17 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Just seen on sky news also.

I've zero to add to this thread. Working in it and that wont change.

Can tell people to stop being greedy c***s but that makes zero difference.

I'd tell people to keep kids isolated and not come to Tesco but that wont happen.

Availability of items is a struggle and this is including some bakery staff going through redundancy. Excellent

There's an update on" Our Tesco" from DL, quite a few changes apart from the "3 items only" which is mentioned.

18 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

We had them but some greedy fucker said wages were too high so shipped it all out to countries who will accept peanuts.
Manufacturing is a niche market and not based on what the country needs. That said I'm sure it would be easy to go back to production line type stuff. We have the r&d and space to do so.

Maybe people wanted higher wages to buy stuff without going in to debt.

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

That could be the flaw in BingMcCrosby's strategy

Unfortunately BingMcCrosbys strategy has been misquoted and altered so it no longer resembles what I even said. As is the way of pie and bovril :)

Edited by BingMcCrosby

8 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Apologies if common knowledge, but can I ask a question please.... Italy and France, to name two, imposed the ‘full Monty’ lockdown, while we asked folk to stay away from pubs, clubs, restaurants... the arguments are raging that they went full-on, while we kind of went half-arsed, so to speak. Does anyone know what the timescale (roughly) is for knowing if they were right and we were wrong? How long does the UK give it to have a decent idea if our route is working or not?

We'll never know. Even if it turns out Italy has a far higher infection/mortality rate or vice versa. There's just too many variables to ever compare like for like using one of them with any confidence.

Just now, MixuFixit said:

Is it restricted to folk who actually live in their houses? I was nervous this was going to keep buy to let dicks afloat.

I don't think it is restricted to folk living in property. Buy to rent dicks can still apply. Not my department but, I imagine, they'll have further criteria to meet to get it. Hopefully that criteria is "if you're getting this holiday yer not allowed to claim rent in the meantime ya cancerous leech"

Anyway the government edict of "PAYMENT HOLIDAYS FOR ALL" isn't binding in any way. They've just politely asked lenders and lenders have said yes.

FWIW it's over an hour on hold if you are calling up looking for a payment holiday if ye need it.

Just now, Ross. said:

And in your "Never trade with China" world, how would you have prevented the spread?

I don't have a time machine ross!

As I've said, quite a few times now.

Everyone should stop trading with China, meaning other countrys also.