Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I've missed a few pages since last night so don't know if anyone else has touched on this, if so, apologies in advance.

Anyway, first off I'd like to applaud the Government (for once) for the introduction of their job security scheme which will subsidise 80% of an idle workers salary capped at £2,500.00 per month. Obviously they will need to now step in to ensure the financial security of the self employed and gig economy workers also.

However while the above is extremely welcome my immediate concern is for those "key workers" who are not only expected to continue to work but also to go above and beyond the call of duty and in many cases deal with abuse over and above the mental stress of putting themselves and their families on the line each day as it were.

Who are we talking about ?

We're talking about NHS workers (many low paid such as porters, cleaners and student nurses), we're talking about classroom assistants, we're talking about shopworkers, warehouse staff, delivery drivers, low paid call centre staff, low paid bank staff etc, etc, etc.

Now, I don't want to sound like I'm taking advantage of a terrible situation or trying to profit out of misery, however I would like to see the Government ensure that no "key worker" is paid less than £25,000.00 p/a or hourly equivalent based upon a 37 hour week. It may not sound much to many, but it is when you're only being paid £17k.

The way I look at it, is these people are among the lowest paid in our communities but they're the ones who're expected to take the most risks, if the Gov can easily make a call to pay people up to £35k for NOT working, then SURELY they should be looking to pay at least £25k to those who ARE.

As I say, this isn't profiting out of misery it's merely paying people for doing a job and a very important job at this time.

What would happen if these people chucked it ?

Who would come in and put themselves and their families on the line for £18 - £20k p/a ??

It certainly wouldn't be those sitting in the house being paid up to £35k !!

I'm very interested to hear peoples thoughts on this, as I know we've got a wide range of occupations, personal situations and viewpoints, but as I say, I think my idea is only fair, especially in the unfortunately desperate circumstances which we all find ourselves.

3 minutes ago, Bairn Necessities said:

The boy Jason Leitch,  who appears to be the scheme version of Chris Whitty, was on the radio saying he was visiting his maw for mother's day.

Jason Leitch is the absolute man.

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

I've missed a few pages since last night so don't know if anyone else has touched on this, if so, apologies in advance.

Anyway, first off I'd like to applaud the Government (for once) for the introduction of their job security scheme which will subsidise 80% of an idle workers salary capped at £2,500.00 per month. Obviously they will need to now step in to ensure the financial security of the self employed and gig economy workers also.

However while the above is extremely welcome my immediate concern is for those "key workers" who are not only expected to continue to work but also to go above and beyond the call of duty and in many cases deal with abuse over and above the mental stress of putting themselves and their families on the line each day as it were.

We're talking about NHS workers (many low paid such as porters, cleaners and student nurses), we're talking about classroom assistants, we're talking about shopworkers, warehouse staff, delivery drivers, low paid call centre staff, low paid bank staff etc, etc, etc.

Now, I don't want to sound like I'm taking advantage of a terrible situation or trying to profit out of misery, however I would like to see the Government ensure that no "key worker" is paid less than £25,000.00 p/a or hourly equivalent based upon a 37 hour week. It may not sound much to many, but it is when you're only being paid £17k.

The way I look at it, is these people are among the lowest paid in our communities but they're the ones who're expected to take the most risks, if the Gov can easily make a call to pay people up to £35k for NOT working, then SURELY they should be looking to pay at least £25k to those who ARE.

As I say, this isn't profiting out of misery it's merely paying people for doing a job and a very important job at this time.

Who would come in and put themselves and their families on the line for £18 - £20k p/a ??

I'm very interested to hear peoples thoughts on this, as I know we've got a wide range of occupations, personal situations and viewpoints, but as I say, I think my idea is only fair, especially in the unfortunately desperate circumstances which we all find ourselves.

Problem here is that aby temporary measures are really hard to end.

If you pay say a porter 25k for the next 9 months, how do you then say 'sorry chief, back to 17k you go'. 

Better solution would  be one off bonus payments of say £1k for cat one workers who do a 3 or 6 month stint. 

28 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Just in case you'd never heard of Britannia Hotels before.....

Also interesting that the media are highlighting that it's a 'Scottish' hotel but can't see them mentioning it's part of an English company. C*nts.......

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

Mrs buchan30 is an auxiliary and was saying this yesterday, maybe a wee rise just to say thank you. Show that you are appreciated as much by the government as you are by the public. I/we will possibly end up working more hours/on days off during this as it reaches it’s peak as well. But when the beast from the east was here, i was working 14 hours a day for the 3 days it was really bad and folk were making there way from badly hit areas to get into work. We weren’t rewarded after that and i doubt it will happen after this. Maybe a few lines in a wee newspaper column to say thanks.

Just now, Tynierose said:

In reality I will get a cheers for that then in about a years time a message that you will be getting your pay frozen for several years due to economic challenges.

Thats the reality isn't it. It's good we're doing all this just now, but we'll pay for it in years to come. 

Not much room at the Inn for discretionary payments for hospital workers even though they clearly deserve something. 

Problem here is that aby temporary measures are really hard to end.
If you pay say a porter 25k for the next 9 months, how do you then say 'sorry chief, back to 17k you go'. 
Better solution would  be one off bonus payments of say £1k for cat one workers who do a 3 or 6 month stint. 
2.500. I get 1.500 less and that is working on the frontline pretty much guaranteeing myself to get the virus.
Any help be appreciated while I'm at full risk.
I can do without the verbal abuse at work because you cant get toilet roll to clean yer ass.

Surely to f**k hairdressers aren't still open???
Hairdressers, Barbers and Salons were not covered in the closing order. 
Nobody needs a haircut, even one to die for. There's no way to make it safe, I've cancelled my dentist check up for the same reason, not having someone breathing all over me when I don't know where they've been. Seems insane to keep hairdressers open when you can't even sit outside with a coffee.
Hairdressers were kept open in Italy and Spain because without them some people wouldn't be able to wash their hair. Not sure if that will be the case here.

1 hour ago, Moomintroll said:
1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:
No, I call drawing sweeping generalisations about the hygiene and diet of a country of over a billion people racist.

I can see both sides here Marshy, wet markets are an absolute disgrace.

I'd be careful here or you will get a red dot 

Your only allowed to criticise the habits and actions of people from this country.

If you criticise the habits or actions of people from another country then you must be a racist. Despite not saying any derogatory terms, merely having a negative option of certain behaviours of certain people within that country.

I suppose if your from another country and your posting on here criticising people from this country then you must be a racist??

Perhaps Marshmallo can post a list of  countrys that people are allowed to criticise so people can stay inside his guidlines.

1 minute ago, G_Man1985 said:

2.500. I get 1.500 less and that is working on the frontline pretty much guaranteeing myself to get the virus.
Any help be appreciated while I'm at full risk.
I can do without the verbal abuse at work because you cant get toilet roll to clean yer ass.

Didn't know you had chucked Tesco for a job at Ninewells m8.

4 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I'd be careful here or you will get a red dot 

Your only allowed to criticise the habits and actions of people from this country.

If you criticise the habits or actions of people from another country then you must be a racist. Despite not saying any derogatory terms, merely having a negative option of certain behaviours of certain people within that country.

I suppose if your from another country and your posting on here criticising people from this country then you must be a racist??

Perhaps Marshmallo can post a list of  countrys that people are allowed to criticise so people can stay inside his guidlines.

Just to clear this up 

Saying the Chinese need to be forced to improve their diet and hygiene = good

Clicking a red circle next to a post on a forum = bad

You've made it clear there that you think you can only be racist if you're explicitly using words like "chink" or pulling your eyes shut. I'm shut in the house all day but even considering that I can see I'm wasting my time speaking to someone this dense.

Edited by Marshmallo

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

Just to clear this up 

Saying the Chinese need to be forced to improve their diet and hygiene = good

Clicking a red circle next to a post on a forum = bad

You've made it clear there that you think you can only be racist if you're explicitly using words like "chink" or pulling your eyes shut. I'm shut in the house all day but even considering that I can see I'm wasting my time speaking to someone this sense.

So is there anyway possible in your opinion to criticise the actions of people from another country without being racist?