Coronavirus (COVID-19)

43 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Eh, no.

"It is understood that it will not be set alight, however.

In a statement, a Loyalist Corcrain Redmanville Bonfire spokesman said: "This is our respect to the NHS. The bonfire is not happening this year due to the ongoing pandemic so we built this instead."

A Bonfire Spokesman!

"Some are born great, some achieve greatness..."

Had an e-mail from one of our major suppliers saying that they are starting limited production next week with a view to ramping it up after that.  Wanting to know when we will be reopening and needing product.  I sent back a response saying we will open when we’re advised it’s safe to do so.

Also getting contact from customers asking the same thing.

Loved the Scottish government advice on facemasks - could be useful in places like shops, maybees aye, maybees naw. Not compulsory though, up to you, maybees aye maybees naw. The evidence is inconclusive, but some evidence suggests that the inconclusiveness of the evidence is in itself, inconclusive. So, our advice is, it might be good, if you actually have the virus. If you don’t, then wear one if you want... maybe in a shop, on a bus, in a Turkish men’s sauna. Whatever, just crack on, you daft cnuts.

The advice I’ve read is that they can cause as many problems as they are supposed to solve.... facemasks, not the Scottish government.

Edit: of course, they also said a facemask needn’t be a proper medical type thing. Just shove a scarf around your mouth. I’m thinking about how minging my St Mirren 2013 League Cup winners scarf got, after I wore it in exactly that manner through the winter - watching games in shite weather, remember we had three or four named storms? Fcuking thing nearly walked into the bath itself, looking for a hand-wash. Fcuked if I’m walking around trying to breathe through that in the summer. Might need to invest in a 2020 St Mirren ‘ha ha Hearts’ scarf.

Edited by pozbaird

4 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Loved the Scottish government advice on facemasks - could be useful in places like shops, maybees aye, maybees naw. Not compulsory though, up to you, maybees aye maybees naw. The evidence is inconclusive, but some evidence suggests that the inconclusiveness of the evidence is in itself, inconclusive. So, our advice is, it might be good, if you actually have the virus. If you don’t, then wear one if you want... maybe in a shop, on a bus, in a Turkish men’s sauna. Whatever, just crack on, you daft cnuts.

The advice I’ve read is that they can cause as many problems as they are supposed to solve.... facemasks, not the Scottish government.

It must be difficult for people like you absolutely determined to stick to the guidance when there is a lack of clarity.

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

Loved the Scottish governments advice on facemasks - could be useful in places like shops, maybees aye, maybees naw. Not compulsory though, up to you, maybees aye maybees naw. The evidence is inconclusive, but some evidence suggests that the inconclusiveness of the evidence is in itself, inconclusive. So, our advice is, it might be good, if you actually have the virus. If you don’t, then wear one if you want... maybe in a shop, on a bus, in a Turkish men’s sauna. Whatever, just crack on, you daft cnuts.

Big email debates among some of my colleagues who are out and about visiting customers as to whether they should be wearing masks or not.

I was also copied on an email warning of the risks of burns being caused by some alcohol-based hand-wash products - apparently there have been instances of an 'invisible flame' where hand-wash hasn't been rinsed off fully - sounds a bit extreme, but who knows?

16 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

It must be difficult for people like you absolutely determined to stick to the guidance when there is a lack of clarity.

Their advice didn’t make anything difficult for me. I’d read as much evidence about the wearing of facemasks as I could find - from sources that aren’t British politicians. Remember way back, six weeks or so ago, at the time of ‘lockdown lite’ merging into ‘full lockdown’? Remember the sheer amount of mixed messages from Boris & Co? Remember the likes of construction workers saying ‘are we essential? should we be working?’ - the government received a lambasting over their wooly advice on all sorts of things? They were hammered about mixed messages and a lack of clarity.

Six weeks into full lockdown, the Scottish government gives out the wooliest, most vague ‘suggestion’ yet. Mixed messages and a complete lack of clarity. As I said, I’m big enough, ugly enough, and relatively intelligent enough to make up my own mind, I was just surprised that such wooly mixed messages were still thought worthy of being put out there, which will just confuse the hard of thinking by a UK government, so far down this road. I’ll take any sensible advice I can get, but not from these cnuts, and I don’t care what colour their rosette on election day is.

Edited by pozbaird

6 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Big email debates among some of my colleagues who are out and about visiting customers as to whether they should be wearing masks or not.

I was also copied on an email warning of the risks of burns being caused by some alcohol-based hand-wash products - apparently there have been instances of an 'invisible flame' where hand-wash hasn't been rinsed off fully - sounds a bit extreme, but who knows?

Ach, at least the Scottish government never gave us advice on injecting Dettol into our eyeballs, and how it might help in the fight against a 16 team top flight... something like that.

21 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Edit: of course, they also said a facemask needn’t be a proper medical type thing. Just shove a scarf around your mouth. I’m thinking about how minging my St Mirren 2013 League Cup winners scarf got, after I wore it in exactly that manner through the winter - watching games in shite weather, remember we had three or four named storms? Fcuking thing nearly walked into the bath itself, looking for a hand-wash. Fcuked if I’m walking around trying to breathe through that in the summer. Might need to invest in a 2020 St Mirren ‘ha ha Hearts’ scarf.

What sort of problems have you read that facemasks cause?

There's a lot of unpick about the way people are responding to the virus outbreak and the clapping is one of them.  As stated above, in and of itself there's nothing wrong with it, it's not even unique to the UK.  I'm sure plenty of the people it's aimed at appreciate it and doing it brings something to the people doing it - I mentioned earlier in the thread that some of my neighbours are completely self isolating and the clap is one of the few times they actually see other people in the street, which must be nice for them.

However, as is often the case in the modern UK it seems like we can't do anything without it becoming emotionally kitsch, everything has to be stated loudly and often and in a competition with side eyed glances at our neighbours.  Emotion has to be expressed, or else.  This isn't unique to the current circumstances but is something that's really developed in our society over many years.  Underneath it all, though, I try to think of my actual neighbours who are doing it and I know that, for the most part, they are trying to do something nice for people who are helping us.

Another interesting thing is the reaction, primarily online, from people opposed to the clapping.  You can read this thread or any variety of social media to find vitriotic reactions to it - the people clapping are Tories, they are probably spreading the virus, they are killing the NHS, they are being distracted by the government, they should be burning effigies of Matt Hancock etc, they shiould be angry.  It seems completely out of proportion but it's in keeping with the way a lot of people look at the world.  It's also indicative of a different type of sentimentality, it's the product of a misanthropic self-regard that seems to be relatively common.  These *fucking Tory c***s* aren't reacting in the way that I would so it's their fault.  I think that the medium contributes to this - it's a lot easier to take out frustrations online as going round you neighbours abusing them probably isn't going be conducive to having an enjoyable life.  We all feel frustrated and annoyed, if we are being honest no-one really likes people doing things we completely disagree with, no matter how open minded and liberal we force ourselves to be.  

Anecdotally I've seen friends who went from making jokes about the virus, to posting articles saying that it was just the flu, to agitating for a lockdown, to posting videos of clapping finally to saying that the clapping is wrong and immoral.  People seem to want to take stances on things and have opinions and express them to other people (at other people might be a better way to say it) rather than admit they don't know or that they aren't sure. 

3 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

giphy(6).gif.966907b71d57805f3aad6867c31f2e2e.gif

believe it or not, just got a garbled voicemail from a friend along the lines of "google image search - christy marks - toga" and something about "pouring milk" and "seductive grape eating" but no real idea what he's on about - all a bit vague...

1 minute ago, Herman Hessian said:

believe it or not, just got a garbled voicemail from a friend along the lines of "google image search - christy marks - toga" and something about "pouring milk" and "seductive grape eating" but no real idea what he's on about - all a bit vague...

Aye, there'll be crusty marks all right! ;)

1 minute ago, Dee Man said:

What sort of problems have you read that facemasks cause?

Masks improperly disposed of could be a contamination risk, i guess.

The bigger danger comes from misinformation about effectiveness imo. This graphic i saw last night. I have no doubt the message it is conveying about who is wearing what and the reduction on risk of contamiation reducing accordingly is correct.

But the numbers themselves are ridiculous.

If people absorb stuff like this as fact like every other graphic shared on fb and twitter that is where problems would come from.

20200501_100354.jpg

10 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Their advice didn’t make anything difficult for me. I’d read as much evidence about the wearing of facemasks as I could find - from sources that aren’t British politicians. Remember way back, six weeks or so ago, at the time of ‘lockdown lite’ merging into ‘full lockdown’? Remember the sheer amount of mixed messages from Boris & Co? Remember the likes of construction workers saying ‘are we essential? should we be working?’ - the government received a lambasting over their wooly advice on all sorts of things?

Six weeks into full lockdown, the Scottish government gives out the wooliest, most vague ‘suggestion’ yet. I’ll take any advice I can get, but not from these cnuts, and I don’t care what colour their rosette on election day is.

The whole country is pulling together to create IP free vaccines and ventilator designs and volunteering to help their friends and neighbours.

So if you have spent time aggregating peer reviewed sources on the efficacy or otherwise of a range of interventions that could help end this crisis and you aren't sharing it with the government I think that's a bit selfish.