Coronavirus (COVID-19)

It wouldn't have been necessary if Lord Halifax had had his way. Germany wouldn't have declared war on the US if they hadn't been supplying a hostile Britain.
Germany would have never declared war on the US if they thought the US would remain neutral. Fact is Hitler knew which way the wind was blowing so made no difference.

Britain being an island and Germany discovering that the Soviets seemed to have had unlimited resources in manpower was what what won the war. The Americans just got in at the end when the damage had been done. Christ even if a second front wasn't created in Normandy the Russians would have still blootered them all the way the Berlin and beyond which leads on to one of the main reasons Churchill and the Yanks wanted a second front. To prevent post war Russian dominance of mainland Europe.

12 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

Just as well it's no russian roulette!

Might be more interesting if it was...

Edited by Jacksgranda

5 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Just had the council at the door.  Handing out 20 eggs and a bottle of cooking oil.  There doing this to every house in the village for the next 4 weeks.

Gid c***s, never hear a bad word said about them again.

Just think of all the bad publicity the Khmer Rouge used to get out your way.  They're obviously on a charm offensive.  More power to them - no, wait . . . . . . . . . . . . .

2 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

Just think of all the bad publicity the Khmer Rouge used to get out your way.  They're obviously on a charm offensive.  More power to them - no, wait . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Wrong country m8.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Yep, reducing it to 60% would cause carnage. It would also force a lot of people back to work.

That’s if they have a job to go back to, places like pubs, gig venues, sports etc won’t be back before the furlough scheme is decreased and maybe even ended 

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

They are talking about changing the scheme from July. We've not even heard what the plan is for easing restrictions later this month. I would be surprised if any businesses (except maybe pubs) are still ordered to close on July 1st.

If nothing else it will give businesses the confidence the scheme won't end on June 30th, and start giving people notice of redundancy soon.

I’d agree with that, although I struggle to see that they’ll allow nail bars/beauty therapists and barbers to reopen by then, unless they’re able to source a ton of PPE 

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

Yeah, pretty much this.

The little englander mentality gives way to much credit to Britain for 'winning the war'.

But giving no credit is also equally ridiculous.

^^^ This. Britain's efforts in the Mediterranean and N. Africa disrupted the Axis sufficiently that Hitler's dream of conquering Russia was always fgoing to founder through lack of fuel if nothing else.

The opening of the Western Front in 1944 would neve rhave happened without the Spams - Britain would never have had the reources to mount a successful invasion. Even with our colonial cousins, there was sufficient opposition to delay the final victory for the best part of a year.

The real hero of WWII is the man who decided to start fucking with the Russians while the Brits were still in the game - battered to f**k, but still holding that handy island group off the NW coast of Europe - which the massive US military machine subsequently used as a base for their operations. Step forward, Adolf - you're the man who really saved the world from Hitler!*

*..and say what you like about Hitler, he did kill Hitler.

6 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

I was fully aware that it was Cambodia and not Thailand.     Was kinda amusing in my head, but obviously failed to translate into scribe.

Keep safe.

He's busy making an omelette m9...

34 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

If Nicola Sturgeon wants to promise an "adult conversation" then reasons why we categorically cannot adopt any part of an approach that has produced almost identical results to one which we are told is "working" whilst allowing life to continue should reasonably form part of it.

She said yesterday "there's evidence our R rate is slightly higher than the rest of the UK". 

Never showed us the evidence though...

Edited by Steven W

42 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

The lockdown needs to end now.......just had a note through our door inviting us to play street bingo 

Nosy neighbour bingo:

"Doesn't join in the weekly clap - Number 15"

"Leaves their bin on the pavement all week - Number 27"

etc

30 minutes ago, AUFC90 said:

Germany would have never declared war on the US if they thought the US would remain neutral. Fact is Hitler knew which way the wind was blowing so made no difference.

Britain being an island and Germany discovering that the Soviets seemed to have had unlimited resources in manpower was what what won the war. The Americans just got in at the end when the damage had been done. Christ even if a second front wasn't created in Normandy the Russians would have still blootered them all the way the Berlin and beyond which leads on to one of the main reasons Churchill and the Yanks wanted a second front. To prevent post war Russian dominance of mainland Europe.

Agree on the reasoning here - Britain still wouldn't have been able to bridge the twenty-mile ditch in the West*, and the Red Army would have chased the Germans all the way to the English Channel.

Would have been interesting to see wht they did then, given their status at the time as allies, and the leftward shift of hte British populace's views which were soon to return a Labour Government.

*Not without serious help from the Russians, and how would that have got to the UK?

47 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

The lockdown needs to end now.......just had a note through our door inviting us to play street bingo 

I'm envisioning an underground subculture similar to street Countdown here. I imagine reality will let me down again. 

2 minutes ago, trainspotter said:

Nosy neighbour bingo:

"Doesn't join in the weekly clap - Number 15"

"Leaves their bin on the pavement all week - Number 27"

etc

Yip she leads the happy clappers which we havent took part in once 

Our Politicians still make excuses about comparisons that we do this and that and they maybe dont.

Look at the explanation and ongoing policy in Belgium just written earlier this morning.

They were already probably over reporting as it was.

No Whinging just get it out there even if it makes the country out to be the most dangerous in the world  !!

110 new people have died from the consequences of the coronavirus, of whom 51 occurred in residential care centres. “Here, too, we see a clear decreasing trend, of 6-11% per day,” Van Gucht said.

“We are also reporting 229 additional deaths that occurred in hospitals, between 24 March and 4 May. 71 of these were not confirmed with a lab test, but with a scan that showed a clear infection,” said Van Gucht. 157 other deaths were not confirmed by a test or a scan, but the doctors have several indications to strongly suspect they died from the infection.

The total number of deaths is currently 8,339. “From now on, all deaths that are suspected of being linked to the virus, or based on a scan, will also be systematically added to deaths in hospitals,” Van Gucht added.

Edited by superbigal

34 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

https://www.ideas.gov.scot/covid-19-a-framework-for-decision-making#idea-count-container

Ask the people.  This should work out well.

Personally I would keep the people as far away as possible from decision making or even ideas.  You/we are fucking morons.

I’ll be disappointed if ‘windaes doon, heating on full blast’ isn’t suggested by early afternoon.

10 minutes ago, Steven W said:

She said yesterday "there's evidence our R rate is slightly higher than the rest of the UK". 

Never showed us the evidence though...

What is the R0 rate in Scotland btw? I've not seen it anywhere.

Being slightly higher than the UK is only an issue if it is high in the UK

25 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

That’s if they have a job to go back to, places like pubs, gig venues, sports etc won’t be back before the furlough scheme is decreased and maybe even ended 

I’d agree with that, although I struggle to see that they’ll allow nail bars/beauty therapists and barbers to reopen by then, unless they’re able to source a ton of PPE 

While I'm not directly affected (Gov't Employee, still working on full pay), I do wonder about some of this. Are enough people going to have cash in their pockets to be going to gigs, football, even the pub? People have adapted (have had to) during this time, and have discovered the joys of non-prepacked entertainment, human interaction (weird though it seems, I think this is the case in a lot of ways), and even something as basic as exercise or simply going for a walk in the open air.

Also over the last few weeks, people have being going on about learning new skills. I'd guess a proportion of these are peoplelearning to do their own nails or (remembering my isues trying to source some clippers) cutting/buzzing/shzving their own hair. These are a couple of examples, but people have been doing things for themselves which they would have previously have paid to have done for them. How many continue to do so, especially if money is tight, will determine how the local economy recovers.