Coronavirus (COVID-19)

On top of what has already been said: it takes up to two weeks before you start producing an adequate immune response. So, guess what happens if you encounter the virus before or up to that point?

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

The bubonic plague wouldn't convince me to go to fucking Wales on holiday. Like the Lake District, a completely pointless, diddy destination for those who haven't seen Scotland (box-office) yet. 

I'd be more than happy to swan back down to south west Galloway again at a few days' notice of decent weather this summer, but a week or two when it's not guaranteed to be pishing down sideways half the time is still on the agenda.

I've never got the sense of the Lake District as being somewhere anyone from Scotland would go voluntarily...if you look at a map of here, there's a goodly proportion of it coloured blue.

We're spoiled in a way - I remember sailing to Norway and an announcement coming over the tannoy in the ship that we were now in some fjord or other and it was a photo opportunity. My mate and I went up onto the deck, had a look for five minutes, decided it just looked like the top end of Loch Lomond and went back to the bar.

23 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I don't know about Rhyl but I had a decent break in Llandudno a few years ago. The town is kept quite well. I went to Conwy Castle and Portmerion and enjoyed the scenery around that bit of Wales.

100 years ago folk looked forward to their 2 weeks in Millport or Porty because it was away from the shipyard or the mines. Perhaps we've regressed back to that- 2 weeks in a static caravan in Pettycur Bay with a lot of bevvy is better than being locked down in the house.

Rhyl's fine if you like your lager at £2 a pint and pirated Saturday afternoon football on in every pub. Only been for a day when the real football was postponed though, they probably have opera and all sorts going on during the week.

On the news just now, they were interviewing a man who just arrived in the UK from Brazil. He had come via Germany, so I assume under the new proposals he would have to quarantine in a hotel, but everyone else on the plane from Germany could just go on their merry way. What’s the point of that? If he is infected then he’s already exposed everyone else on the plane to it but they have no real restrictions placed on them.

39 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

On the news just now, they were interviewing a man who just arrived in the UK from Brazil. He had come via Germany, so I assume under the new proposals he would have to quarantine in a hotel, but everyone else on the plane from Germany could just go on their merry way. What’s the point of that? If he is infected then he’s already exposed everyone else on the plane to it but they have no real restrictions placed on them.

KIlll them all.

4 hours ago, virginton said:

That's right, we can't bin social distancing or travel abroad until that last tribal village in Afghanistan is protected against a virus that we're (soon to be) vaccinated against

The US have a pinpoint accurate system of delivery for getting the vaccine to these people*

*Reports that they accidentally vaccinated a full wedding are unconfirmed at this time and even if it was true, multiple Military Aged Males WERE confirmed to be within target range,

5 minutes ago, Elixir said:

You need a shotgun to get in there.

The Centurion?  Never once saw a bit of bother in there or got any grief whatsoever, despite not being local.  Wouldn’t be everyones cup of tea granted but was great for having a pint with your mate and watching a match.

3 minutes ago, Left Back said:

The Centurion?  Never once saw a bit of bother in there or got any grief whatsoever, despite not being local.  Wouldn’t be everyones cup of tea granted but was great for having a pint with your mate and watching a match.

It can be a bit “colourful” in the Public Bar, but for the most part it’s fine. You generally get left alone. It’s certainly not for the faint hearted at times. 

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeah, I will admit finding myself thinking in ever more conspiratorial undertones and that's not me at all.

Yeah. I don't for a minute subscribe to it but I can indeed understand why people think it. However, if there was something covert going on in the background, then playing it out the way they are doing would make not one lick of sense. 

I legitimately think that the language and tone is still fear driven and laced with trepidation and pessimistic tones as a result of just that. Fear of a show of optimism leading to public complacency and spiking cases mainly. 

I do think that in spring of 2021 we will be in a much better position to open up society again and the language will slowly shift to reflect that. 

Edited by djchapsticks

4 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

There are definitely worse planes to have been on

Guest TheJTS98

The available figures don't show that the UK is at any risk of people just binning compliance with restrictions.

The latest polling from Ipsos Mori on the issue shows that 85% think the restrictions are either about right or should be tighter. That suggests the authorities still have a bit of leeway in terms of what to do over the next few months, and to possibly extend.

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/most-britons-continue-say-they-are-following-coronavirus-rules-almost-half-believe-lockdown

I understand people feeling fed up and it getting to folk in the head. I'm on my third lockdown now and mine have been more restrictive than the lockdowns in the UK, so I do understand. But I think we need to be careful of developing a narrative on this thread that people are about to just sack off the restrictions. Some people will, sure, but the figures don't suggest this is going to be a big problem.

Edited by TheJTS98