Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Terrific news. 60 million on order for the UK, presumably will be asking for approval in the next few weeks.

Slightly less good news is that it shows 50-60% efficacy against the South African variant. Not hard to see why countries have become so concerned about travel.

26 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

You've got a cheek, I got pelters on the Dumbarton thread for saying Auschwitz had a pleasanter appearance than the old Boghead. I think you might have been one who expressed dismay at such a sick joke.

17 minutes ago, PWL said:

Natürlich, Herr Feldwebel Wilson. 

11003157.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=resp

Terrific news. 60 million on order for the UK, presumably will be asking for approval in the next few weeks.

Slightly less good news is that it shows 50-60% efficacy against the South African variant. Not hard to see why countries have become so concerned about travel.

Is 50%-60% still not pretty decent? I thought that’s what the initial thoughts the Pfizer/Moderna/AZ vaccines would be until they blew expectations out of the water with the trial results.

11 minutes ago, D.V.T. said:

Is 50%-60% still not pretty decent? I thought that’s what the initial thoughts the Pfizer/Moderna/AZ vaccines would be until they blew expectations out of the water with the trial results.

Yup, WHO were saying anything over 50% would be a result, think the flu vaccine is usually 40 odd. Just bash them out if they're safe and bring hospitalisation down ASAP. I quite enjoyed the early hoarding and battening down the hatches WW2 style but this is getting well fucking boring.

Yup, WHO were saying anything over 50% would be a result, think the flu vaccine is usually 40 odd. Just bash them out if they're safe and bring hospitalisation down ASAP. I quite enjoyed the early hoarding and battening down the hatches WW2 style but this is getting well fucking boring.

There was a novelty in March that isn’t here now. It’s shite and boring. If it wasn’t for football continuing I’d have lost my mind.

5 minutes ago, mizfit said:

There was a novelty in March that isn’t here now. It’s shite and boring. If it wasn’t for football continuing I’d have lost my mind.

I can't be fucked with TV football, got back to Clach for one fucking game then Essex fucking covid shut it down again.

22 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

I see it’s now Britain’s fault that the EU shat the bed, when it came to ordering vaccines.

News earlier today was that there had been constructive talks.  By the evening it was being reported again that the EU have emptied the pram and stamped a hole halfway to Australia.  

They need to calm down.  The Aussies still won’t let them in.

4 minutes ago, DMCs said:
2 hours ago, Elixir said:

Serbia surprisingly high. Isn't the Russian vaccine considered to be of relatively low quality? I assume that is what they are using.

I don't think so. The released figures say it is as effective as any other vaccine. And perhaps even gives better long term protection

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/11/oxford-covid-vaccine-to-be-combined-with-sputnik-jab-for-trial

They did start using their vaccine faster than others, before phase 3 trials were complete but if people are honest that was always going to be a formality. Oxford, Moderna and any other vaccine were going to be used anyway even if their effectiveness was lower.

Russia is pretty good at science.

42 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Are we in danger of thinking that the one thing Boris has got right is buying stocks of every vaccine he could get hold of?

At the time I thought WTAF every time it was announced we’d bought tens of millions more but it seems like this strategy is working.  For the first time he might have played a blinder.

1 hour ago, Paco said:

So, about as effective as the best flu vaccines on the so-called 'escape mutant'. And of course, even those still testing positive in this arm of the trial no doubt had minor symptoms that put them nowhere near a hospital.

Think we can safely stick the fear mongering about variants ruining the vaccine rollout in the coming months firmly in the bin where they belong now.

7 minutes ago, DMCs said:

Serbia surprisingly high. Isn't the Russian vaccine considered to be of relatively low quality? I assume that is what they are using.

I believe they have now published phase three data which actually showed it was more efficacious than the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine, even though they used a similar vector. The Russian vaccine seems solid. I believe the Chinese/Sinopharm one is relatively gubbins compared to the rest.

6 minutes ago, Left Back said:

News earlier today was that there had been constructive talks.  By the evening it was being reported again that the EU have emptied the pram and stamped a hole halfway to Australia.  

They need to calm down.  The Aussies still won’t let them in.

I know, but we got taken out against our will!! Nasty English fascists, cuddly EU!! Horrible gammons, minters etc, drone drone!

Edited by Glen Sannox

Just now, Left Back said:

Are we in danger of thinking that the one thing Boris has got right is buying stocks of every vaccine he could get hold of?

At the time I thought WTAF every time it was announced we’d bought tens of millions more but it seems like this strategy is working.  For the first time he might have played a blinder.

Hate to admit it, but you could be right. He fucked up on Moderna though, but the Yanks will likely keep that to themselves. It's like the battles for water rights on the Nile at the moment.

The jab was shown to be 89.3% effective at preventing Covid-19 in participants in its Phase 3 clinical trial in the UK, which enrolled more than 15,000 people between 18-84, of which 27% were older than 65, Novavax said.

9 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I don't think so. The released figures say it is as effective as any other vaccine. And perhaps even gives better long term protection

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/11/oxford-covid-vaccine-to-be-combined-with-sputnik-jab-for-trial

They did start using their vaccine faster than others, before phase 3 trials were complete but if people are honest that was always going to be a formality. Oxford, Moderna and any other vaccine were going to be used anyway even if their effectiveness was lower.

Russia is pretty good at science.

Ah fair enough. Serbia will be significantly ahead of its neighbours at the moment and will remain so unless the supply to EU greatly increases. 

Russians are very good at science but if you look at citation figures their universities are quite bit worse than many advanced economies. Sadly they have big brain drain issues.

Edited by DMCs

5 minutes ago, Left Back said:

It isn't actually about the buying of stock, it is about securing manufacture in Britain.

The EU were mugs for paying for the first vaccine manufacturing in the UK. The EU are pissed because AZ promised vaccines and they believe any supply shortages should be effecting all customers equally. Obviously AZ is not up for that because that would cost them extra in transporting the vaccine and therefore less profit when they can sell UK made vaccine in the UK.

The EU is going into f**k YOU mode and is now threatening that once the EU manufacturing is fully online they will not be allowing exports until full EU is vaccinated. And hit them with a huge fine for breaching their contract.  Essentially trying to bully AZ into paying the extra delivery costs or face a more substantial fine. Because really the whole thing is just about profit for AZ.