Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Im glad your experience was different, but unfortunately ive written to three and had absolutely no help/response. 

I was astonished by the swiftness of my MSP John Mason's response to an email I sent on Tuesday about my concern regarding restrictions not being lifted fast enough. Detailed response, a lot of which I don't really agree with, but he's offered a zoom call to discuss the issues which I'll gladly take up at some point in the coming week. 

Living in Ruth's constituency for 4 years however, was a different story. 

21 minutes ago, virginton said:

Having some parents remaining on furlough is far less of a cost than closing an entire sector of the economy and furloughing everyone plus business support. And by maintaining the reduction in transmission the economy opens up more quickly as a whole, which is another massive plus in the cost-benefit analysis.

It's also contradictory for you to suddenly express mock concern about children (no longer mixing with 20-odd others all week long) interacting with grandparents because schools are closed, when your previous argument was that, erm, the old and vulnerable are already getting jabbed so it's time to 'get back to normal' and let the infections rip! Make your mind up please

Where have I advocated letting the virus rip, I have said open the schools slowly (P1 - 3 first) monitor for a few weeks and then open some more.  This could be in conjunction with some non essential services. This will allow the contract trasers to ensure that any outbreaks are monitored and sources can be identified. 

Edited by The Stig

13 minutes ago, Elixir said:

It's mind-boggling to see our Plague Island take good news that can show what is to come and drive up vaccination rates further and bury it under a rolling 24/7 torrent of knicker-wetting drivel about 'new variants!!!!!1111!!!!' 

If the vaccines had 30% effectiveness or didn't work at all yet then I don't think the government's message would be any different to what it is right now, and that is simply not acceptable. 

Edited by vikingTON

15 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

I was astonished by the swiftness of my MSP John Mason's response to an email I sent on Tuesday about my concern regarding restrictions not being lifted fast enough. Detailed response, a lot of which I don't really agree with, but he's offered a zoom call to discuss the issues which I'll gladly take up at some point in the coming week. 

Living in Ruth's constituency for 4 years however, was a different story. 

A zoom call with John Mason! Just when you thought  all this “end of the world” stuff couldn’t get any worse.

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

It's mind-boggling to see our Plague Island take good news that can show what is to come and drive up vaccination rates further and bury it under a rolling 24/7 torrent of knicker-wetting drivel about 'new variants!!!!!1111!!!!' 

If the vaccines had 30% effectiveness or didn't work at all yet then I don't think the government's message would be any different to what it is right now, and that is simply not acceptable. 

The vaccines are going to absolutely cigar Covid into nothingness. It was only yesterday the boy who owns Pfizer and created their vaccine said in an interview with Sky News that, due their effectiveness and likely high levels of uptake, it will cause less deaths than the flu.

That's less deaths than season influenza.

Yet there are still some clowns out there talking about masks and social distancing being needed for several years. tim.png

3 hours ago, The Stig said:

Once again you are only making assumptions.  The schools can't dictate to them outside school no matter what anyone thinks.

For example I am sure that you don't wear a mask outside when walking so I have to assume that you don't wear one in a shop.  

That is a ridiculous statement as the two are not linked in any way so you can't make any correlation between anyone's behaviour in different setttings.  I am aware teenagers are a law to themselves but my experience is that they were following the rules set out at school, but unfortunately like a lot of people (you just have to take a walk in any supermarket) are choosing to not wear a mask when they really should be. 

This isn't remotely the same thing.

I am not required to wear a mask outside, so the fact that I don't wear one doesn't give any additional evidence either way about whether I wear one in the shop.

School children, like the rest of us, are required to carry out social distancing outdoors at all times. The fact that they are not doing so suggests that it would not be a great leap to suggest they were also not following the rules at school. That would hardly be surprising given that they're schoolkids and not known for always following the rules. That's why schools being open has always been a public health risk. A justifiable risk perhaps, but it is insulting to people's intelligence for it to be suggested that it was perfectly safe as they were doing in the autumn.

Edited by craigkillie

4 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Future should be everyone vaccinated plus massive increase in testing and track and trace. 
Slow release of everything while this is happening. Anything else will just result in another lockdown. 
No excuses vaccination should not slow down and we need a proper test system and quick local shutdowns if required with mass testing rolling out straight away. Whatever this costs will be nothing compared to another lockdown.

I really dont see why we should continue to spunk thousands of pounds up the wall each day on test and protect when the elderly and vulnerable have been vaccinated. 

Just now, Thereisalight.. said:

I really dont see why we should continue to spunk thousands of pounds up the wall each day on test and protect when the elderly and vulnerable have been vaccinated. 

Drive it down to nothing if the tests can be made cheaply. There’s still lots of unknowns and would be far cheaper than more lockdowns.

I'm surprised at how compliant the MSM have been in regards to ongoing restrictions and no end in sight of them. Usually theres a tipping point when the media begin to ask questions like "why/when" etc. I'd have thought almost a year into proceedings theyd have been asking by now rather than continuing with the propaganda and "project fear"

1 minute ago, D.A.F.C said:

Drive it down to nothing if the tests can be made cheaply. There’s still lots of unknowns and would be far cheaper than more lockdowns.

Lockdowns should be binned when said elderly/vulnerable groups are vaccinated. Shutting down the world because some 35 year old has the sniffles and is in bed for 2 days just doesnt cut it for me 

6 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Lockdowns should be binned when said elderly/vulnerable groups are vaccinated. Shutting down the world because some 35 year old has the sniffles and is in bed for 2 days just doesnt cut it for me 

It would be wise to make sure that’s the case first.

8 hours ago, Glen Sannox said:

A zoom call with John Mason! Just when you thought  all this “end of the world” stuff couldn’t get any worse.

If it was Sean Connery's character from The Rock then that would be tremendous.

They'll open the plague factory schools at the same time as some scapegoat industry for example hairdressers so when the cases sky rocket again it'll be the hairdressers fault and schools are perfectly safe just like last time.

Auckland ordered into a snap 3 day lockdown because of 3 locally transmitted cases. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-56059960

Yes they have kept deaths very low with hardline measures but at this point in proceedings, it amazes me that Australia and NZ are going this route instead of actually prioritising a vaccine programme which they don't even plan to start until April. 

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Auckland ordered into a snap 3 day lockdown because of 3 locally transmitted cases. 

Yes they have kept deaths very low with hardline measures but at this point in proceedings, it amazes me that Australia and NZ are going this route instead of actually prioritising a vaccine programme which they don't even plan to start until April. 

Must be an absolute nightmare for a lot of people these out of the blue full lockdowns. All the gigs/sport events/large gatherings cancelled with zero notice. Things like weddings, how are they dealt with when cancelled at less than 24 hours notice?

Not sure where you get this. Both Aus & NZ will start vaccinations in Feb