Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

No digital version at the moment.  you request it through the NHS vaccination site and they send you a paper certificate.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

We have to order a paper version online, only takes a few days.

Cheers, seems a bit daft not to have it in a digital format.

1 minute ago, Moomintroll said:

Cheers, seems a bit daft not to have it in a digital format.

Getting it next month supposedly. Think the SG was deliberately slow in an attempt not to encourage foreign travel.

1 minute ago, SweeperDee said:

I seemingly still cannot get hold of proof of vaccination; any time I’m on the phone they say they will get one sent but it never arrives, and the website still bounces my details. Nae use.

Have they given you a password?

Have they given you a password?

No; trying to “recover” my account as a first time user doesn’t work, and they couldn’t seem to help over the phone trying to get an account set up. I would prefer an online copy instead of a paper one but like I said the letters they are apparently sending out aren’t arriving so god knows. I have emails as confirmations of vaccine appointments but that’s not exactly proof of vaccination so doubt it would fly if proof was needed.

4 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

No; trying to “recover” my account as a first time user doesn’t work, and they couldn’t seem to help over the phone trying to get an account set up. I would prefer an online copy instead of a paper one but like I said the letters they are apparently sending out aren’t arriving so god knows. I have emails as confirmations of vaccine appointments but that’s not exactly proof of vaccination so doubt it would fly if proof was needed.

I had trouble with mine as they had the wrong date in the data base for my first jab, probably the date my GP uploaded it rather than the day I got jagged. Took a couple of weeks till somebody on the phone line sorted it out for me. My Mother wanted one and I "recovered" the password without a hitch, certificate arrived 3 days later.

Mind Devi actually came out and said America were going for #ZeroCovid under Biden. 😭

Come to think of it, she's actually already becoming irrelevant and is starting to slink into the background. Linda Bauld gets more screen time than her these days.

1,032 new cases of COVID-19 reported (1016 one week ago)

14,317 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results

7.8% of these were positive (8.1% one week ago)

11 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (9 one week ago)

40 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (61 one week ago)

352 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (406 one week ago)

4,029,479 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 3,357,803 have received their second dose

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, virginton said:

The term "exact science" is doing a lot of heavy lifting, for models that couldn't predict the daily number of cases within a margin of 75,000 (175,000 at the top end), nor even the basic direction of travel, one week out. Their predictive value is non-existent and so barely counts as science at all.  

The reason why it is the fault of modellers can be traced back to the Ferguson interview that I posted yesterday evening. There was zero humility or transparency in stating that their models were a giant stack of guesswork: Ferguson stated that 100,000 cases a day was coming regardless and the only question was whether the UK would reach 200,000 as well. 

Many so-called experts like Ferguson have misleadingly presented The Science as a package of indisputable facts all along - their shan infection models included. In the case of a novel virus pandemic, there can be no such facts. The Science has been as blind to what would happen next at every turn as any other branch of knowledge, yet has hogged 99% of the government and media spotlight for the nasty agenda of public health psychos and grasping careerists. It's time for a reckoning and then a rebalancing of views to focus on addressing the economic and social costs of the pandemic response. 

In a round-about way, I think I said the same thing. 

It's a combination of 'experts' presenting guesstimates as facts, the media breathlessly reporting worst case scenarios, and a public that doesn't really understand that modelling is in no shape or form, a 'science'. 

20 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

1,032 new cases of COVID-19 reported (1016 one week ago)

14,317 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results

7.8% of these were positive (8.1% one week ago)

11 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (9 one week ago)

40 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (61 one week ago)

352 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (406 one week ago)

4,029,479 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 3,357,803 have received their second dose

Flat as a pancake / endemic equilibrium. It's over. PowttJS.gif

Daily Cases Update:   4th day of case rises up 1.79% to 152.3 and another small rise coming tomorrow. These rises are statistically now in the main due to unvaccinated youngsters as restrictions eased. The test positivity has again been very high last couple of days at near 8%. Numbers should continue around 155 to175 as the schools start to go back. Deaths in Scotland officially go above 8,000.  Red dotting from Marshy down 100%.  

D&G home to Scotland's most infectious neighbourhood Dumfries Central @ 1033.4, Fort William (2nd Place) out of control for the 2nd time in a few weeks with 25% of all of Highlands cases. Teuchters doing all the disco dancing, who'd have thought it ?

I suspect the 16-17 year olds now affecting the vaccine figures with a 30% rise in 1st doses yesterday.

Figures for Jags  1st Vaccines excellent went up from 1,975 to 2,652   Still circa 350,000 to go.  2nd vaccines down hugely18,590 to 15,747

Total Cases Scotland 7 days 1st August to 7th August were 8,176 now 8,322 up 1.79%, Positivity was 5.8% now 5.8%.  Cases per 100K were 149.6 now 152.3  

Home Nations Daily update  :  UK Average   272.6 to 277.4 up 1.76%, England  286.9 to 291.9 up 1.74%, Wales 143.9 to 146.9 up 2.08%, Northern Ireland  432.9 to 443.5 up 2.45%

In Europe for travellers Spain  221.9 to 266.8,  France  242.3 to 243.2,   Ireland 207.9 to 209.1, Greece 186.0 to 185.0, Portugal 157.7 to 156.8, These are still the only main countries over 110 cases per 100K

Scotland peaks in Wave 3 at 425.1 for 27th June to 3rd July, (UK was 229.9) . Cases that day were 23,222 and positivity 10.8%

Scotland previously peaked in wave 2 at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan, (UK was 642.1)    Cases that day were 16,496 and test positivity rate was 11.9%  

Council progress in last 24 Hours as follows.

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 
https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

East Lothian  205.7 to 228.0   Surges to the top again up 30% in 2 days.  Prestonpanns 747.0

South Lanarkshire   212.0 to 215.4 

North Ayrshire  209.3 to 215.3  6th day in a row of rises.

North Lanarkshire  214.6 to 214.9  Still rising but drops from top to 4th.

West Dunbartonshire   198.1 to 192.4 

Fife  177.2 to 180.7  

Dumfries & Galloway   165.2 to 174.0  

Midlothian  175.0 to 168.5 

East Ayrshire   146.4 to 156.3

West Lothian   161.6 to 156.1

East Renfrewshire   142.6 to 154.1 

City Of Edinburgh  146.5 to 149.9

Inverclyde 146.6 to 147.9  

Glasgow City  147.4 to 147.6

Stirling   132.9 to 142.4

Renfrewshire    137.7 to 141.6

Highlands 134.2 to 141.4  

Scottish  Borders  139.7 to 139.7 

South Ayrshire   129.3 to 124.8

Argyll & Bute  108.9 to 124.1

Dundee City  124.3 to 123.0  

East Dunbartonshire  127.8 to 122.3

Aberdeen City   120.1 to 118.3

Aberdeenshire   112.4 to 117.7 

Falkirk    105.9 to 112.1 

Perth & Kinross    94.8 to 94.1

Angus   82.9 to 88.9   

Clackmannanshire  83.8 to 83.8

Moray   83.6 to 79.4 

Western Isles   56.6 to 67.9  

Shetland Islands  61.2 to 65.6

Orkney Islands  35.7 to 40.2

Edited by superbigal

At least some good has come of this pandemic. English kids have achieved great grades in their A levels.
image.png.148c3952aee8096cd14df76f215d0076.png

Or their grades will not be taken seriously by universities or employers in the future.

Universities have no option but to accept the grades awarded given they will have made their offers ! Three in our extended family all got their places confirmed this morning within minutes of them receiving their results.

The issue at least down south is apparently for students trying to get in through clearing as some unis are threatening entrance exams instead of grades. The other is that people are already calling for easier exams next year as a sharp return to 2019 levels of results is going to cause a ton of grumbling from everywhere.

48 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I had trouble with mine as they had the wrong date in the data base for my first jab, probably the date my GP uploaded it rather than the day I got jagged. Took a couple of weeks till somebody on the phone line sorted it out for me. My Mother wanted one and I "recovered" the password without a hitch, certificate arrived 3 days later.

That's my vaccination status now been correctly amended on the website. I called them just over a week ago as my 2nd jag data hadn't been logged and an incident was raised however that's it now been corrected so not bad considering.

From a hypothetical perspective, let's say 10 of us went to Spain on holiday and a couple of us caught covid, would there be anything preventing one healthy member of our party doing the swabs for us all for our pre departure test and same again for the day 2 test ??

Just wondered as surely there's foolproof ways round these idiotic testing rules ??

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Exactly this. Many students freeze in the face of exams - the big, quiet exam hall, the date marked, the exam timetable and the associated stress of worrying what they should study, and when, and how much. Many university students do the same. This year the theatre of that experience is gone and replaced with in-class tests (many, many tests) that cause less panic and stress. And pupils do better in those conditions.

This was my experience went into the exams with pretty solid predicted grades after getting 97% in my best prelim. Ended up with a handful of C's :lol:

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

From a hypothetical perspective, let's say 10 of us went to Spain on holiday and a couple of us caught covid, would there be anything preventing one healthy member of our party doing the swabs for us all for our pre departure test and same again for the day 2 test ??

Just wondered as surely there's foolproof ways round these idiotic testing rules ??

If you test positive in Spain you really think you will be coming home with your mates ?

It’s a measure to be taken seriously as those who break the self-isolation period face €30,000 fines from regional authorities.

In most cases, these Covid quarantine periods last ten days in Spain and are paid for by the tourists themselves.

9 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

You could probably get away with it for the day 2 test, unless they can tell it's the same person somehow, unlikely when they're rattling through them at a rate of knots. The pre departure test could be trickier, I was asked for my passport in Portugal when they did the test, and I heard the ones you take with you from home you have to set up a video link for someone in the testing firm to watch you taking the test. Anyway, I don't approve of deliberately carrying covid onto a plane, or anywhere for that matter.

Edited by welshbairn