Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I'm in the shielding group but the letter was very clear - we have the choice to reject the advice.

I've decided to instead follow a sensible lockdown approach - rather than the strict shielding.

People have to take responsibility for their own decisions.

Are you sensible though? I’ve known you long enough that sensible certainly wouldn’t be on my list. Fantastic footballer with wonderful vision, maybe. But sensible? No.

11 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

22nd June is trending on twitter

Nothing official but people seem to think there will be an announcement that pubs in England will reopen on that date.

Thought it was just beer gardens? 

But that's where I'm confused.
Why would anyone who is shielding want to go outside?
I ken that for different folk there are different issues but presumably the folk who are shielding are usually auld with breathing problems and other health issues.
I'm self-isolating but as I posted earlier I'll be making my own decision as to when I go out into the world again.
And I'm definitely no extremely angry

Yeah i wasn't referring to you willie. Someone had said that on stv there was a report that said shielding folk were outraged.

I'm 39 and got a shielding letter. There are a lot of us young folk with severe illnesses of all types.

I made my decision based on the fact that my condition doesn't in any way affect my lungs. And there was no way i was going to shield myself from my wife and 2 young ones (as stated in the letter). We talked it through, understood the risks, and decided to follow our own careful path. I go out about once a week.

Are you sensible though? I’ve known you long enough that sensible certainly wouldn’t be on my list. Fantastic footballer with wonderful vision, maybe. But sensible? No.
I'm shocked and outraged by this.

But your compliment means ill get over it pretty quick [emoji4]

9 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Should be a great laugh with 20 people allowed in at a time. 

Perhaps people drink in better pubs than I do, but the thought of me going into my local and only have another 19 of the usual drunk arseholes around me sounds like a fucking great thing. A table to myself with a waiter service bringing me pint after pint? Yes fucking please.

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Perhaps people drink in better pubs than I do, but the thought of me going into my local and only have another 19 of the usual drunk arseholes around me sounds like a fucking great thing. A table to myself with a waiter service bringing me pint after pint? Yes fucking please.

I’d imagine the issue being referred to is the vast majority not being allowed in pubs if only 20 people are allowed in at a time.

48 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

22nd June is trending on twitter

Nothing official but people seem to think there will be an announcement that pubs in England will reopen on that date.

Tim Martin has worked out that 80 per cent of his stock will still be drinkable by that date (possibly).

2 minutes ago, The OP said:

I’d imagine the issue being referred to is the vast majority not being allowed in pubs if only 20 people are allowed in at a time.

Ways round that, although I concede they probably aren't palatable to your standard pub drinker.

3 hours ago, Wee Willie said:

I'm watching it the noo.

31st July is the extension.

I've got tae be honest even when the all clear is sounded I'll still be taking it slowly.

My wife and I were saying the same. Mind you, we can't really do very much fast with my COPD and her rheumatoid arthritis...

30 minutes ago, The OP said:

An obvious solution to that would be to allow pubs / restaurants to make use of any and all outdoor land they have (e.g. beer gardens, car parks, a set distance into the street in town centers, roped off). This will allow as many of those as possible who wish to visit to do so (whilst maintaing distance) and allow establishments to obtain as much revenue as possible.

Going forward, if the distance can be reduced to 1m outdoors, this would potentially quadruple outdoor capacity. As it's coming in to summer, being outdoors is appealing.

Edited by Todd_is_God