Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, Elixir said:

Again this is forgetting the fact that immune response from natural infection is equally as effective as that from vaccination, which will help to mitigate anti-vaxx cretins vaccine hesitancy. Indeed natural infection may provide even more robust immunity as it elicists memory B and T-cell responses, which haven't necessarily been studied for in every vaccine trial.

Also, as has all too often been the case throughout, there was no indication of an end in sight to the dystopian measures or indication of this being a temporary state until full, real normality resumes, from the 'expert' in question. There is precisely nothing normal about humans continuing to treat each other as mere bio hazards for a virus that is reduced to the sniffles at worst, following vaccination.

I guess to know about the background levels of immunity you would need to have large anti gen testing that is accurate, as I assume some rural states will have far less natural immunity meaning a country like America it's difficult to apply rules like we do in the UK as it would spread well in the North, that tend to be less densely populated but would be harder to spread in the south, due to their climate.

Although if I'm honest I don't care what America does they haven't taken appropriate action until now mainly due to the administration that was in place before. They resorted to using mass graves, I could see purely from a public view that they might be hesitant getting back to a version of normal, that is entirely their own affair.

6 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

In 2014/15 the UK had something like 25,000 influenza deaths, the flu vaccine was pretty ineffective that year.

25,000. Where was the lockdowns, the masks? the social distancing? There wasn't any because it's accepted that unfortunately, and lot of vulnerable older people could die of flu in a particularly bad season.

Now I appreciate Covid is a different nasty beast to influenza, but if 25k deaths is acceptable without restrictions, then what is acceptable with Covid?

We've not seen this point addressed at all by our politicians or experts.

In fairness, Chris Whitty has referenced it a few times. This falls under normal rates of mortality, and the winter of 2017/18 was also very bad in that regard, so once Covid falls into this bracket over the next year or two, I can only hope the pressure from industry/business, the public, and some MP's/other countries, becomes relentless enough that it leads to an end of this madness.

12 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m sure they’re shitting themselves.

There’s a couple of dozen posters on here who think their reflecting a wider view when in reality it’s a tiny echo chamber.

Well, given how long the SNP has dittered over another referendum, a bit like their pedestrian pandemic response, I think we can safely conclude that by the time Scotland does becomes independent, you'll already be bound for the crematorium. Or perhaps at best, slurping soup through a straw. I imagine we'll be rejoining the same European Union you voted to leave as well.

Unlucky.

WeightyUntidyConey-size_restricted.gif

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Are you a senior manager at the Scottish Ambulance Service or are they trawling P&B for ideas?

Either way I think it's a really good idea, but feel that when the bus rolls up in a village they should be doing everyone over 18 rather than doing about 10 return trips especially in the most remote areas.

Over 18 might be a bit excessive, but you hope they wouldn't just anally stick to the national schedule. Jab any fatty unhealthy looking person around when you're in the area and this will be over.

Edited by bendan

10 minutes ago, 101 said:

I guess to know about the background levels of immunity you would need to have large anti gen testing that is accurate, as I assume some rural states will have far less natural immunity meaning a country like America it's difficult to apply rules like we do in the UK as it would spread well in the North, that tend to be less densely populated but would be harder to spread in the south, due to their climate.

Although if I'm honest I don't care what America does they haven't taken appropriate action until now mainly due to the administration that was in place before. They resorted to using mass graves, I could see purely from a public view that they might be hesitant getting back to a version of normal, that is entirely their own affair.

Just because they royally fucked up their response and may have resorted to using mass graves in some states is not a justification against a return to full normality once the acute health crisis has passed.

Like it or not, the rest of western democracy has an interest in this happening as soon as possible in the US.

Just now, Elixir said:

Just because they royally fucked up their response and may have resorted to using mass graves in some states is not a justification against a return to full normality once the acute health crisis has passed.

Like it or not, the rest of western democracy has an interest in this happening as soon as possible in the US.

I don't believe so, any credit they had in responding to the virus has gone, Biden will help but it's well understood they are coming from and completely different place than we are in Scotland and we wouldn't go any faster or slower because of what's happening in America.

4 minutes ago, bendan said:

Over 18 might be a bit excessive, but you hope they wouldn't just anally stick to the national schedule. Jab any fatty around when you're in the area and this will be over.

Get this firmly in the bin. You're better than that, I hope anyway.

25 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m sure they’re shitting themselves.

There’s a couple of dozen posters on here who think their reflecting a wider view when in reality it’s a tiny echo chamber.

Very true...

11 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Well, given how long the SNP has dittered over another referendum, a bit like their pedestrian pandemic response, I think we can safely conclude that by the time Scotland does becomes independent, you'll already be bound for the crematorium. Or perhaps at best, slurping soup through a straw. I imagine we'll be rejoining the same European Union you voted to leave as well.

Unlucky.

Fùck a second rate virginton!  There’s lack of ambition, then there’s this.

26 minutes ago, bendan said:

Over 18 might be a bit excessive, but you hope they wouldn't just anally stick to the national schedule. Jab any fatty unhealthy looking person around when you're in the area and this will be over.

I hope I get the conventional needle. This anal stick seems a bit experimental.

In fairness, Chris Whitty has referenced it a few times. This falls under normal rates of mortality, and the winter of 2017/18 was also very bad in that regard, so once Covid falls into this bracket over the next year or two, I can only hope the pressure from industry/business, the public, and some MP's/other countries, becomes relentless enough that it leads to an end of this madness.

At what point does Covid become normal? That's the big question.

1 minute ago, Burnieman said:

At what point does Covid become normal? That's the big question.

Once most of the population has been exposed to natural infection or vaccination.

I hope I get the conventional needle. This anal stick seems a bit experimental.

The Chinese Don’t seem to think so. Apologies that it’s the mail. Although the headline is surprisingly humorous for them.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9168707/Coronavirus-China-blasts-fake-video-people-waddling-like-penguins-COVID-19-anal-swabs.html

40 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Unlucky.

unnamed-1.gif

33 minutes ago, 101 said:

I don't believe so, any credit they had in responding to the virus has gone, Biden will help but it's well understood they are coming from and completely different place than we are in Scotland and we wouldn't go any faster or slower because of what's happening in America.

The more western countries that get back to normality sooner, the better. The US are in a good position now in that they can lay the blame of the entire pandemic response at the feet of the previous Trump administration, but the levels of infection from then can still be chalked up alongside the vaccination program which Biden will take the credit for.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Aww Shucks :wub:

As Francois Balloux has said many times, the pandemic is going to be over in the northern hemisphere by mid-2021, give or take a few months.

How long we keep the madness going for, however, is anyone's guess.