Coronavirus (COVID-19)

20 minutes ago, Paco said:

South Africa have stopped their rollout of the Astra Zeneca vaccine as a result of it not working against the variant there.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-south-africa-halts-rollout-of-astrazeneca-jab-due-to-limited-protection-12211970

They’ll ‘consider’ how to use their doses for now but will not be giving it to healthcare workers.

Massively irresponsible to do so given that there is no indication that the vaccine is anything but effective against serious illness. 

14 minutes ago, 101 said:

Had social distancing been introduced 1 week earlier in New York, cases could have been reduced by 80%. That seems to suggest it's a highly effective method to reduce transmission. But it's also the measure that knackers the economy.

Source: https://www.contagionlive.com/view/model-shows-significant-influence-of-social-distancing-on-covid-19-spread

According to yet another shan model, that found a mere, erm, 500% difference in expected cases between two of the areas being studied. Into the bin it goes then, along with Neil Ferguson's garbage output. 

No amount of distancing matters if you are indoors in a non-ventilated space for any period of time, because it is an airborne virus. Social distancing and sanitising every surface are holdovers from Clownshoes Leitch's regime in March. 

11 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Massively irresponsible to do so given that there is no indication that the vaccine is anything but effective against serious illness. 

There have been no tests done which show it is effective in preventing serious illness versus the South African variant. 

Edited by Detournement

Again with regards to Epidemiologists going on about social distancing forever and mass gathering being banned for years, please take their comments in complete isolation. 

The medical and science community have had carte blanche over their recommendations for a year but there is going to be a completely unignorable barrage of pressure coming from every other facet of life pretty soon. Economists, business leaders, sociologists, MPs, hundreds of thousands of small and medium business owners will all have their say to the contrary in terms of restrictions. 

The risk factor attributed to a vaccinated country, a variant that will not be the dominant one on our shores and manageable numbers and severity of cases will most certainly come into play in the overall decision. 

All the shouting in the world about how scary maybe catching a variant is won't matter at that point in proceedings. People will be ready and willing to accept that they are adequately protected by a vaccine that provides protection and reduces spread and severity and will be willing to take the risk. 

I'd happily go to something like Cheltenham in a country where I am vaccinated the crowd is 70% vaccinated and a probable further 15% have antibodies from having had the virus. 

That is acceptable risk. 

Edited by djchapsticks

9 minutes ago, virginton said:

According to yet another shan model, that found a mere, erm, 500% difference in expected cases between two of the areas being studied. Into the bin it goes then, along with Neil Ferguson's garbage output. 

No amount of distancing matters if you are indoors in a non-ventilated space for any period of time, because it is an airborne virus. Social distancing and sanitising every surface are holdovers from Clownshoes Leitch's regime in March. 

Absolute nonsense.   If everyone kept 15 miles apart - even in an indoor setting - the virus wouldn't spread at all.   

Please post better and more factually.   

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

There have been no tests done which show it is effective in preventing serious illness versus the South African variant. 

So it is highly irresponsible to pull the vaccine based on absolutely no tests being done. 

Especially when taking the below into consideration. 

Professor Anthony Harnden, deputy chair of the UK's Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation, said: "Evidence suggests the Oxford AZ vaccine protects against disease caused by the predominant Covid variants circulating in the UK.

"It remains highly likely that the vaccine will also protect against severe disease caused by the South African variant

12 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

So it is highly irresponsible to pull the vaccine based on absolutely no tests being done. 

Especially when taking the below into consideration. 

I'm guessing the South Africans think they should do clinical trials rather than go with what some British professor believes is likely.

Edited by Detournement

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

I'm guessing the South Africans think they should do clinical trials rather than go with what some British professor believes is likely.

There is literally no talking to you on any subject whatsoever.  

You don't believe that pulling a vaccine without conducting any tests whatsoever to prove it's ineffective is irresponsible and that's up to you but I'm now done with trying to debate against your constant, ongoing stupidity. 

9 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

There is literally no talking to you on any subject whatsoever.  

You don't believe that pulling a vaccine without conducting any tests whatsoever to prove it's ineffective is irresponsible and that's up to you but I'm now done with trying to debate against your constant, ongoing stupidity. 

You have it the wrong way around. They need to do trials before rolling it out. 

That's basic stuff. 

48 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Again with regards to Epidemiologists going on about social distancing forever and mass gathering being banned for years, please take their comments in complete isolation. 

The medical and science community have had carte blanche over their recommendations for a year but there is going to be a completely unignorable barrage of pressure coming from every other facet of life pretty soon. Economists, business leaders, sociologists, MPs, hundreds of thousands of small and medium business owners will all have their say to the contrary in terms of restrictions. 

The risk factor attributed to a vaccinated country, a variant that will not be the dominant one on our shores and manageable numbers and severity of cases will most certainly come into play in the overall decision. 

All the shouting in the world about how scary maybe catching a variant is won't matter at that point in proceedings. People will be ready and willing to accept that they are adequately protected by a vaccine that provides protection and reduces spread and severity and will be willing to take the risk. 

I'd happily go to something like Cheltenham in a country where I am vaccinated the crowd is 70% vaccinated and a probable further 15% have antibodies from having had the virus. 

That is acceptable risk. 

I agree with every word. However, worryingly, it's not just epidemiologists saying this. The Deputy First Minister of Scotland is saying it too.

1 minute ago, Steven W said:

I agree with every word. However, worryingly, it's not just epidemiologists saying this. The Deputy First Minister of Scotland is saying it too.

I get the feeling the scottish government wont let us live restriction free for at least another year. Just think how many lives will be ruined. 

6 minutes ago, Steven W said:

True but the weight of pressure externally from other sectors will surely be far too great for them to stick by their guns on such unreasonable restrictions indefinitely. 

Edited by djchapsticks

50 minutes ago, Erih Shtrep said:

Absolute nonsense.   If everyone kept 15 miles apart - even in an indoor setting - the virus wouldn't spread at all.   

Please post better and more factually.   

If everyone was 15 miles apart they would facto be “outdoors” from each other unless you happen to know any buildings that are 15 miles long?  Unfortunately most buildings aren’t that large.

Just now, Left Back said:

If everyone was 15 miles apart they would facto be “outdoors” from each other unless you happen to know any buildings that are 15 miles long?  Unfortunately most buildings aren’t that large.

No.  People can be 15 miles apart and both indoors.   I'm not certain you understand how housing works.