Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

By the BBC (I think), yes. However this appeared to me to be based solely on them saying she "had recalled parliament to give an update" which wasn't true.

Yes, this is what threw me. I’m expecting a fairly mundane update with her doubling down on current rules and urging caution, stay at home as much as possible and we can’t rule anything out. 

21 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Is there anywhere online that they publish the split of hospital admissions with covid and because of covid?

Trying to find it because obviously the increased cases of Omicron will mean the hospital number will rise whether or not they are actually being treated for covid.

Coronavirus (COVID-19): additional data and information - gov.scot (www.gov.scot)

image.png.4f5d259a3d0f2bc8f0a227121d6ffe1e.png

I don't know if they are published for NHS Scotland (I presume they are but I can't find them). However, for NHS England there is a Primary Diagnosis Supplement (latest is 23 Dec) in here:

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-hospital-activity/

Direct link:

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2021/12/Primary-Diagnosis-Supplement-20211223.xlsx

It's a spreadsheet with 2 sheets - first sheet is beds occupied with patients with covid & second sheet beds occupied with patients treated primarily for covid.

For 23rd December

Primarily treated for covid is 4,432

With covid is 6,245

Hence those who are being primarily treated for something else is 1,813 (or 29%).

It would be interesting to see the Scottish equivalent.

Edited by Trogdor

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

By the BBC (I think), yes. However this appeared to me to be based solely on them saying she "had recalled parliament to give an update" which wasn't true.

I saw it on The National’s Twitter which was a bit disconcerting as it’s pretty much Pravda for the SNP. 

3 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

As much as it is purely anecdotal, and not quite to the same foaming-at-the-mouth extent that I get to, I am noticing that the tide has basically completely turned against the SNP and their choices over the past couple of months when it comes to previous SNP voting die hards within my friends and family. Of course we can all joke about the SNP simps in this thread but the majority opinion (again, anecdotal) seems to be changing now that the vaccines/shan variant have converted this pandemic to a high stakes, highly tracked cold.

Coming back to Ayr for Christmas has opened my eyes again to a little bit of the other side of this. In Edinburgh all of the people I know, of all ages, have lost the plot with the SNP and die hard voters like myself have changed their view on them. But came back to Ayr and whilst some have changed, others are still completely on board with everything they do. Unfortunately they are so pro-SNP that it doesn’t actually matter what they do and what UKG do, SNP will be right and UKG will be wrong. After Boris did nothing, my in-laws were coming out with “Boris hasn’t added any new restrictions, so that means thousands will die now” based on absolutely nothing. If Nicola had removed all restrictions the same day and Boris had put some in, they’d just have said “Nicola listening to the science and Boris going over the top” or something instead.

It’s basically a cult now for some, but there’s more of them than you think.

5 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

You only need to look at the comments section of any covid related article by The National to see how many of these oddballs there are. It’s utterly depressing.

If this is an echo chamber, the SNP fanzine is equally so.

Edited by Abdul_Latif

An incredible insight into mentally broken people.

"Appealing for official symptoms to be updated"

"People won't know they have it"

"Until it's too late"

Why are these people terrified by colds, and what do they think the reasonable govt response to people "walking about with cold like symptoms" is?

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

"Until it's too late"

Why are these people terrified by colds, and what do they think the reasonable govt response to people "walking about with cold like symptoms" is?

If the symptom list was updated, the testing infrastructure would collapse immediately. 

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

"Until it's too late"

The best bit of that it the until its too late part? Too late for what Fiona? I'd genuinely like to know.

What a state the government and public health advisers have gotten people into over Omicron. It's not proportionate at all, people living in fear is not good. However, misjudged or misguided the people concerned are. It's not really funny at all.

I tested positive on an LFT last night with absolutely no symptoms, just took it after our work strong advised them after going back after Christmas. 

It probably does go a decent enough way to explaining why cases are through the roof. I was out and about with my girlfriend in a couple of bars on Monday none the wiser and had absolutely no idea, testing negative on Friday for the family's sake. 

Just now, Louis Litt said:

I tested positive on an LFT last night with absolutely no symptoms, just took it after our work strong advised them after going back after Christmas. 

It probably does go a decent enough way to explaining why cases are through the roof. I was out and about with my girlfriend in a couple of bars on Monday none the wiser and had absolutely no idea, testing negative on Friday for the family's sake. 

The symptoms being somewhere between mild and nonexistent, I mean.