Scotland v Israel

Smokerson

Marshall
Tierney Cooper McKenna Robertson
McTominay McGregor
Forrest McGinn Christie
McBurnie

I'd like to swap Forrest and Christie but I just don't think it's feasible with Tierney at RB. The CBs are probably shite. McTominay's out of the picture at MU right now. I don't know if Marshall has a club.

Dykes is a possible replacement for him but as far as I'm aware there's no news yet on if he'd accept a call up.

Clarke was interviewed on Sportsound and strongly hinted at the fact that, after discussions, Dykes had chosen to play for Scotland. Mark Warburton is also saying that he will go on to be “Scotland number 9” as he has huge potential, so I think it’s a safe bet he’ll be called into the forth coming squads.

With things being the way that things are, then I wouldn’t have thought I’d be a million miles away by predicting that both Dykes and Nisbet will be in Clarke’s thoughts for the next squad, and they could be supplemented by McBurnie and Shankland, if he is nearing a return to fitness.

14 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

With players on a 30 day break in England can see us being swamped with call offs.

Can see players mainly coming from SPFL sides

The season starts a week after this game. For once I can imagine the clubs might not mind their players getting some competitive action under their belt before the season kicks off.

Email in this morning selling cardboard cut-outs in the crowd. 

We already knew no one would be at this game because yon blowhard Leitch told us this would be first game with crowds back, but surely just a matter of time till official confirmation.

17 hours ago, Toma_BullyWee said:

McBurnie - pish.

17 hours ago, Toma_BullyWee said:

I actually like him. Runs about like Kramer on gear without really knowing what's going on

I know football is all about opinions but what is the "McBurnie - pish" opinion based on? I don't think either player has played particularly well for Scotland, but Burke has more caps despite being younger and he's been passed around clubs like a poorly rolled joint, where McBurnie has ripped it up in the English Championship for Swansea then moved to play every week for a team who finished 5 points off a European place in the English top flight.

McBurnie should start for us every game he's available and we should play in a fashion that brings him into play as much as possible.

21 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I know football is all about opinions but what is the "McBurnie - pish" opinion based on?

I haven't watched a great deal of Sheffield United so honestly I don't know much about him other than 3 or 4 games and he's been shite in every single one. 

First one was the friendly against Costa Rica I think. We were down the front and I was asking my mate who the guy with the weans socks was. He just seemed to stoat about without really doing anything and any other games I've seen he's been much the same. Granted a Sheffield United fan will have a completely different thought process having seen him week after week. 

I had a quick look at the stats and he scored 6 in 36. Hardly prolific, but I get it's a high level and we are far from blessed in that position.

The "pish" bit is just one of those throwaway comments, however I will happily admit as soon as he pulls his socks up I'll be open to changing my mind. Cannae take him seriously with them though. 

You know that way you just don't take to someone? A few goals and a summer tournament and I'll probably be front of the queue to give him a gammy, mind you.

32 minutes ago, Toma_BullyWee said:

I haven't watched a great deal of Sheffield United so honestly I don't know much about him other than 3 or 4 games and he's been shite in every single one. 

First one was the friendly against Costa Rica I think. We were down the front and I was asking my mate who the guy with the weans socks was. He just seemed to stoat about without really doing anything and any other games I've seen he's been much the same. Granted a Sheffield United fan will have a completely different thought process having seen him week after week. 

I had a quick look at the stats and he scored 6 in 36. Hardly prolific, but I get it's a high level and we are far from blessed in that position.

The "pish" bit is just one of those throwaway comments, however I will happily admit as soon as he pulls his socks up I'll be open to changing my mind. Cannae take him seriously with them though. 

You know that way you just don't take to someone? A few goals and a summer tournament and I'll probably be front of the queue to give him a gammy, mind you.

Fair enough. Towards the end of the season McBurnie was huge for Sheffield United and he put in some great performances. I think a huge problem for him playing for Scotland has been how isolated he's been, he really isn't going to do what Kenny Miller done and empty his tank every time the ball comes within 30 yards of him, so we need to play directly to him and have support around him at all times. Having him chase balls down the channel is useless. His goal tally isn't great in the EPL but I reckon you'd be hard pushed to find a Blades fan who wouldn't start him, he brings others into play when you use him to his strengths. 22 in 58 for Swansea (if Wiki is correct) is a good return at Championship level and is probably closer to the standard of defender we tend to face at International level - a quick look at Israels defence and they all play in Tel Aviv with the exception of a few (one at Celtic, one at Vitesse and one playing in Belgium). 

We've got plenty of pace in midfield and out wide with Fraser, Forrest, Christie, Armstrong and even McGinn all capable of supporting him from midfield, I don't see why McBurnie can't be a successful Scotland striker.

Burke, I struggle to see what he brings to the table other than pace and strength. His brain struggles to control his feet.

I'll be amazed if Fraser is anywhere near this squad given he's not played since before lockdown.

Nisbet if he keeps form might sneak in but i'd be a surprise if it's not McBurnie up front. Not been the best but he does need folks round him as from what i've seen he'll never be the main goal threat himself, did really well bringing the other Sheff Utd forwards into the games that i managed to catch. 

Could do with uncovering a few really good central defenders and a striker or two really quickly... 😄

Guest DAVIDB69

Probably makes sense this being the nations league one now . Looks like dykes will be in the squad but the Aussie manager doesn’t want him being a off off cap just to make him Scottish .

So would imagine he probably starts then and disappears once the regulars are back .

Looks like dykes will be in the squad but the Aussie manager doesn’t want him being a off off cap just to make him Scottish .

So would imagine he probably starts then and disappears once the regulars are back .

He’s going to be Scotland’s Number 9 for years to come!

According to Mark Warburton

16 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Looks like dykes will be in the squad but the Aussie manager doesn’t want him being a off off cap just to make him Scottish .

If Scotland want Dykes and Dykes wants to play for Scotland then the opinion of Graham Arnold means f**k all.

McBurnie and Dykes look like they'll definitely be called up. Unsure who the other strikers would be. Maybe Shankland and Nisbet?

Oli Burke and Lewis Morgan shouldn't be anywhere near it. Two absolute fraudsters. 

I imagine the squad will be announced within the next fortnight. 

McBurnie and Dykes look like they'll definitely be called up. Unsure who the other strikers would be. Maybe Shankland and Nisbet?
Oli Burke and Lewis Morgan shouldn't be anywhere near it. Two absolute fraudsters. 
I imagine the squad will be announced within the next fortnight. 

I would hope it's announced within the next fortnight since our game against Israel is 2 weeks tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, Chicken Wing said:

I would hope it's announced within the next fortnight since our game against Israel is 2 weeks tomorrow.

FS I was looking at last month's dates. Surely then it'll be quite soon, start of next week?