Scotland v Israel

Smokerson

Robby McCrorie to get called up for this one. He definitely hasn't earned that on his performances for Livi since January, but with all the English-based players having not started their season yet it probably won't do any harm. It'll be interesting to see the make-up of this squad because of the timing of the games, wouldn't be surprised to see a few more new faces than normal.

19 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Robby McCrorie to get called up for this one. He definitely hasn't earned that on his performances for Livi since January, but with all the English-based players having not started their season yet it probably won't do any harm. It'll be interesting to see the make-up of this squad because of the timing of the games, wouldn't be surprised to see a few more new faces than normal.

That’s a decent shout.  Whatever the thoughts on McBurnie may be, he surely can’t be match fit in the manner Scottish-based players are.

Not that we have any fit strikers in Scotland of any repute.  Forrest and Christie up front anyone?

Guest DAVIDB69

Dykes likely to be in squad but Aussies trying to persuade him to say no

Any of the English based players in the squad I assume may be straight back from hols

Didn't even consider him when putting together my predicted squad (listen, we all know I'm a loser) yesterday. I think I just chucked in Liam Kelly.

Yeah, your second paragraph was another cause for concern. Robertson and Tierney will have played in the Community Shield, I think, but there are a lot of players (plenty starters) that won't have played competitive football for around two months. Then there's the Ryan Fraser carry on.

Dykes 100% in the squad

I'm at the stage now where I think he's gonna start.

I honestly think this is what should happen. It looks like McCrorie is a good shout to be an international Goalkeeper in the future, what better time to blood him into the international scene by selecting him to be 2nd or 3rd choice in Nation League matches? Get him used to being a part of the squad and then when we can have a few friendlies arranged then get him capped and start phasing him in over the years as Marshall and Gordon start be phased out.

Dykes 100% in the squad

Think it’s a cert now and I’m one who will be delighted if he is. Would he be my first choice Striker, I’m not sure, but he gives us another option up there to those that are in the squad.

Might Lyndon Dykes start? Griffiths won’t be in the squad, Burke and McBurnie won’t have played for two months when these games come around, Shankland injured, Brophy with limited minutes thus far, and we’re surely not going to stoop to calling up Nisbet for scoring a hat-trick or someone like Nicky Clark or Ross Stewart for the achievement of being Scottish, forwards and currently playing football.

Dykes won’t have played much football either right enough. But someone has to play.

Given the trouble Fletcher gave their defence in the last Nations League game, Dykes might be a decent option for this game. I don't think he should be our starting forward in general right now, but he might get the chance to change my mind on that.

Guest DAVIDB69

To be honest I haven’t seen that much of dykes but if he looks capable fair enough rather than just capping him to make him Scottish and won’t be then seen again

In an ideal world the English based players would be a couple of weeks into their season, but they're only a week out from the first league game. I'd not be making any changes based solely on location. Just pick our 23 best players rather than shoehorning in Scottish Premiership guff cause they've played a handful of games against Hamilton, Livi or St Johnstone.

17 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

In an ideal world the English based players would be a couple of weeks into their season, but they're only a week out from the first league game. I'd not be making any changes based solely on location. Just pick our 23 best players rather than shoehorning in Scottish Premiership guff cause they've played a handful of games against Hamilton, Livi or St Johnstone.

Mate you're only allowed 11.  Did you actually play the game son?

18 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting that.  But if the question is Fleck versus MacGregor, it's the latter surely (regardless of how good you regard either player).

Surely the idea is more that SPFL players might be preferred to players like Cooper or McLean who aren't necessarily starters and haven't played in several weeks. There should be no qualms about picking our best players, especially guys like Tierney who played the FA Cup final not too long ago or McTominay who was with the Man Utd squad for the Europa League not much more than a week ago

Guest DAVIDB69

Suppose we will find out soon how much of a free hand Clarke has when the squad comes out . Perhaps selecting S.P.FL randoms may be forced on him as English premier clubs might get heavy if their players get injured .

Although Southgate is getting a free hand in picking his best players so no reason why we won’t but we will see later.

Although the likes of Fraser hasn’t played for months , mctominay doesn’t play much and I assume the likes of mcburnie may be a holiday piss up somewhere

1 hour ago, Paco said:

Might Lyndon Dykes start? Griffiths won’t be in the squad, Burke and McBurnie won’t have played for two months when these games come around, Shankland injured, Brophy with limited minutes thus far, and we’re surely not going to stoop to calling up Nisbet for scoring a hat-trick or someone like Nicky Clark or Ross Stewart for the achievement of being Scottish, forwards and currently playing football.

Dykes won’t have played much football either right enough. But someone has to play.

I'd be okay with Dykes starting, in the same way as I was okay with Chris Martin starting (though I think Martin was a better player).  I don't think there's an alternative.  That being said, if Lyndon Dykes is capable of international football, you aren't really pushing the boat out too far by suggesting Nisbet or Stewart.  In fact, I think you're probably only a couple of injuries away from that happening.  Brophy has a handful of caps, and I don't think he's any better than those two.

Edit: Despite what's in the red tops about Clarke's wait and see situation, I would be amazed if he doesn't already know.

Edited by Savage Henry