Scotland v Israel

Smokerson

For our next managerial appointment when it comes, it might be an idea to employ someone who has been successful coaching an international team.

In the meantime, we need to find some better players. We only have half decent left backs and midfielders. The forwards and central defenders have been pish for years now.

Guest DAVIDB69

None of the people we ever employ as managers talk with confidence and that goes back a while.

Clarke talks like some Jakie in an old mans boozer, mcleish either version wasn’t great either . Levein was the same.

Just watching sky sports news there Ian barrowclough Northern Ireland manager speaking , still a nobody but seemed to to be talking with confidence and looked and sounded professional.

England haven’t played yet but as the norm our result is usually the worst one of the week of the home nations .

32 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Not that I’m defending the formation last night at all, but I can’t believe the amount of people here claiming that the previous system was working, as if last night was just some sort of outlier.

We won 3 games in a row, against the diddies that are Cyprus, San Marino and Kazakhstan, and looked entirely unconvincing and nervy in all aside from San Marino.

Last night was just the latest in a run of uninspiring and uncreative performances.

Obviously we've looked plodding and unconvincing for the vast majority of that time, but the second half v Kazakhstan was a genuinely good performance.

That's obviously far too soon to say things were clicking and we were about to go on a great run just because we'd beaten a team we should be beating, but it's insane to persist with a system while we've looked poor, grind out wins, finally get a decent performance and then overhaul the system entirely just to accomodate one defender in a back three, who'd have been comfortable in a back four anyway.

12 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

The Zahavi strike was class.

Also very tight defensively. Didn't give much away.

I counted about 8 times in the first half where they won the ball in their own box and played some lovely one touch pass and move stuff and 10 seconds later were threatening the Scotland defence. 

13 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Was just thinking that. I’d wager good money that Israel would leather all 3 of those teams with little trouble.

And how would we do?

ETA: As AndyX has asked about 12 hours ago...

Edited by Jacksgranda
grandma

49 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It was nothing close to a 6/10 performance.

6/10 is a pass Mark, and pass marks result in a reasonably comfortable victory over Israel at home, a side ranked in the 90s.  

A performance so utterly bereft of attacking intent and chances, in a home game against a weakish team cannot possibly merit more than 2/10.

As I said in the brackets of my previous post, it was a generous 6.
Based on your reasoning above, 2/10  would suggest a comprehensive defeat for Scotland which didn’t happen. Rankings are a nonsense too.
Scotland have shown absolutely nothing for years that would suggest they should be beating anyone based on their rankings. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Israel viewed us as “a weakish” team either. 

10 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

McGregor is a total waste of a shirt every time. I sometimes wonder if he just plays for Scotland because he feels he has to or something because he never looks remotely interested.

But , but , but. ....

Tom English is a MacGregor fan

Edited by ewan14

59 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It was nothing close to a 6/10 performance.

6/10 is a pass Mark, and pass marks result in a reasonably comfortable victory over Israel at home, a side ranked in the 90s.  

A performance so utterly bereft of attacking intent and chances, in a home game against a weakish team cannot possibly merit more than 2/10.

Yep.

I mean you can try to point to Covid or the lack of fans in the stadium, but the tempo from Scotland on the ball last night was nowhere near good enough. Especially at 1-0; so unrelentingly negative that when it went to 1-1 and Israel decided to start playing keep ball we either actively didn't want to press and take risks to win the game or Clarke wanted to but we weren't able to shake off the mindset.

Dykes would maybe get a 6/10 - passable for what he got to work with, had a handful of shoddy touches but did enough  through his time on the pitch that with better support or better service he could have been 7+. Burke's cameo did I think show that starting with Dykes was the right call.

Not getting many shots that work a goalkeeper (if any, barring the penalty) is bad enough, but I don't think we ever even really got any meaningful touches inside their penalty area or even the final 1/3rd (no quality crosses, no quality through passes, nothing) either which is unacceptable.

5 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

As I said in the brackets of my previous post, it was a generous 6.
Based on your reasoning above, 2/10  would suggest a comprehensive defeat for Scotland which didn’t happen. Rankings are a nonsense too.
Scotland have shown absolutely nothing for years that would suggest they should be beating anyone based on their rankings. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Israel viewed us as “a weakish” team either. 

The rankings are clearly a pretty inexact science, but they're indicative of sides' standing.

We were awful last night against Israel, and fortunate to escape with a draw having created literally nothing.  If you think that's acceptable that's up to you.  You seem to think that because the performance was fairly typical, it was decent enough.

It wasn't.

It was dreadful, pitiful.

That's the other one that came to mind but I at least remember us having a couple of chances that game. We genuinely had f**k all last night.

True that. We literally didn’t have a single chance last night. Fucking woeful, but not entirely surprising given we were shoehorning players in just because they are squad players for teams like Man United.

We all know how this goes. Get a couple of wins against some other diddies for him to stay in a job before eventually going out the World Cup qualifiers in remarkably shit style, appoint some other diddy (probable alky), rinse and repeat.

True that. We literally didn’t have a single chance last night. Fucking woeful, but not entirely surprising given we were shoehorning players in just because they are squad players for teams like Man United.

We all know how this goes. Get a couple of wins against some other diddies for him to stay in a job before eventually going out the World Cup qualifiers in remarkably shit style, appoint some other diddy (probable alky), rinse and repeat.
Problem is lack of talent throughout the squad and chopping and changing systems and managers.
I would get the best youth coaches and setup around and build world class facilities. Get the kids in from u12 to u21, same system throughout. Play attacking possession football and eventually results will come.
As for the full team I would blood the youngsters from 18 if possible and get them playing first team games rather than rotting on benches of the OF.
Good coaching, facilities, encouragement and experience. Its that simple.

We are trying to change the roof on a house with no foundations and have been doing this for decades.

8 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Clarke needs to take some of the blame but he isn't Rumpelstiltskin. He can't keep spinning gold out of this shite.

7 hours ago, coprolite said:

Fairly sure it was straw, not shite. 

Impressive knowledge of childrens' fairy tales being displayed here.