The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Goalkeeper is one of the positions were stats shouldnt be too heavily, if at all, used to rate how good they are.

Would be interesting to see Birighittis figures in Australia as it might explain why you signed him, based on stuff ive seen from his time there he looked like a bombscare even then.

6 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Sakus stats when he played for us are better.

A stats guy on twitter has done an analysis here 

https://twitter.com/Mrcento/status/1663916456730345472?t=58Mtnhu_yFVHY3i6QvXHjQ&s=19

Moneyball doesn't really work when it comes to goalkeepers, unless we have stats for 'percentage of time when a forward is closing you down does the keeper reach for a cigar' et al.

Edited by ArabFC

On 28/05/2023 at 17:49, Shadow Play said:

I thought United just wanted to reinforce their nickname throughout Scottish football as The Fun / Funsters.

The Club has been unable to get in touch with Paul McGowan and an update will be given regarding Paul once contact has been made with him.

aye alright then

25 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I think it’s fair to say both our clubs appear to be vying for that particular title just now.  

It increasingly feels like the only solace a supporter of either our clubs can take when their respective club has made a total arse of themselves is that it won't be long before the other goes out of their way to out-do them.

Plenty of other clubs in the country making signings and announcing pre season friendlies.

This summer can't be a replica of last summer when the club went to sleep for weeks before making a series new sponsor announcements, before finally making a singing in July. We can't just write off June as 'holiday'. We probably have to ship a few out the door first (will be expensive) but it needs to happen soon.

3 hours ago, Steven W said:

Plenty of other clubs in the country making signings and announcing pre season friendlies.

This summer can't be a replica of last summer when the club went to sleep for weeks before making a series new sponsor announcements, before finally making a singing in July. We can't just write off June as 'holiday'. We probably have to ship a few out the door first (will be expensive) but it needs to happen soon.

The season finished 5 days ago and we have already binned 4 players.

25 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

The season finished 5 days ago and we have already binned 4 players.

It's pretty poor imo.

I was expecting Goodwin to have a photoshoot with 15 new players. All to have big cheesy grins while holding scarves above their heads, all primed and ready for the new season. I mean, he's had days since he was given the gig permanently, he could have had all that wrapped up by now.

Goodwin out.

9 minutes ago, GFARAB82 said:

Niskanen staying apperently maybe with teams sitting in he might be a useful option? 

Opposition teams could sit in their team bus for 90 mins and Niskanen would still lose control of the ball and/or miss the target.

You can't keep everyone who might have "something" to offer but I'd be happy enough with Niskanen staying. He's been better played further forward in his natural position and is versatile enough to fill in as required elsewhere. He's also a genuinely good guy, I think, with a great work and team ethic. That must be worth something even if he's not the best technical player in the world. 

Reminds me a bit of Paul McMullan in terms of workrate and lack of ability.

Aye he's been decent whenever played as an out and out winger, last season in particular he really paid for the change to a back 5 as he struggles to get forward as a wing-back and usually ends up outnumbered, 1-on-1 he does get a few crosses in. Still think we can do a lot better as our first choice winger, but as a squad player I wouldn't be too fussed if he stayed.

I'm sure we could get better but not as a championship club. Absolutely fine with Immi staying. Wingers are confidence players, he's got the right attitude and work rate hopefully a run in the team gets him sharper. Don't think he would be the worst option to have against "worse" team with his pace.