Geopolitics in the 2020s.

dorlomin

23 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

I'd expect that to be true. If so, its a step up from blowing millions on shite podcasters.

Regardless, the anti-Pashinyan protests were representative of organic sentiment within a section of the Armenian population. I mentioned them in this thread as they were ongoing simultaneously with the Tbilisi protests. I'm sceptical of both movements' essential character which is hurt national pride over military defeats. The Tbilisi protesters believe the current Georgian government isn't hostile enough to Russia and the Yerevan protesters believe the current Armenian government aren't hostile enough to Azerbaijan. I sympathise with the protesters in both cases. These are folk with difficult lives who have for decades been failed by their state and governments. Their material conditions are far below what they should be. However, their grievances are being captured then driven down blind alleys because only different stripes of the right wing exist in their electoral politics.

Pashinyan's position is not the just position but its the only practical one.

Consider this today:

The UK foreign secretary calling the ethnic cleansing of Armenians from Nagorno-Karabakh an act of Azerbaijani liberation.

There is no moral authority to appeal to any longer. There is the interests of USA and the EU to appeal to or there is nothing. The only possible way to stop yourself being victimised further by Azerbaijan (assisted by Turkey and Israel) is to try and join the club those regimes are part of. Even as a lesser member of the club, you get a seat at the table to at least get your concerns heard.