George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

Just now, ali_91 said:

DD220658-93DE-492D-B29C-8FEF9891073C.png

Shocking that the Green Brigade let him away with a minor incident a lot of people won't have heard of which happened before he joined the club. He seems to have really cleaned up his act, racism wise, since joining Celtic. The Skacel thing was in the early days of his Celtic career but we seem to have got him on the right all-inclusive path. 

Hope Lawwell has sold the movie rights. 

Shocking that the Green Brigade let him away with a minor incident a lot of people won't have heard of which happened before he joined the club. He seems to have really cleaned up his act, racism wise, since joining Celtic. The Skacel thing was in the early days of his Celtic career but we seem to have got him on the right all-inclusive path. 
Also could have gone with "I am willing to give him a free pass on this clear racism I have only just learned about, because he plays for Celtic"

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
4 minutes ago, The OP said:

Also could have gone with "I am willing to give him a free pass on this clear racism I have only just learned about, because he plays for Celtic"

Rest assured I will be booing him as I watch Celtic games on my laptop this season, if he plays.

Edited by The OP

To be fair to Griffiths since hes been not playing hes not been involved in unsavoury incidents like his past, pouring a drink on a kid, stealing from Tescos, racial abuse on twitter, singing that a rival player is a refugee and probably others I have missed.

6 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Now being declared a terrorist incident. 

I'm confused, do the stabbings have anything at all to do with BLM protests? Seems to have happened hours after and police have denied any link (although there is a lot of flip flopping going on re the 'terror' aspect).

Just now, Dee Man said:

Absolutely stunned to see The OP attempt to downplay racism when it involves a Celtic player. Guaranteed he booed Shay Logan. 

Never have and have always been strongly against it. I suspect he was telling the truth about Tonev (although his false accusations against Scotrail written in a 9 year old's prose gave me pause for thought). 

21 minutes ago, The OP said:

I'm confused, do the stabbings have anything at all to do with BLM protests? Seems to have happened hours after and police have denied any link (although there is a lot of flip flopping going on re the 'terror' aspect).

At the moment, it appears not.

This is terrible what has happened in Reading. However police and the media constantly using the word terrorist, is blatantly inflammatory. And will justify an increase in racist views being tolerated. Rather ironically during BLM protests.

1 hour ago, ali_91 said:

Leigh, Leigh, super Leigh. 

Celtic against racism.

f**k Shay Logan. 

Celtic fans are an embarrassment. Yeah but apart from this incident, and this incident, and this incident, and this incident.  We raised some money for charity so it’s sound. 

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

Now being declared a terrorist incident. 

Aye, what I have read this morning, it would seem he was targeting people drinking alcohol.

1 hour ago, The OP said:

Obviously the only certainty is that there was a BLM protest held in the park a couple of hours before the incident. Besides that I have read conflicting reports - either all those who attended the protest packed up and left, or some stayed to enjoy the sun in the park. 

1 hour ago, Juanhourjoe said:

This is terrible what has happened in Reading. However police and the media constantly using the word terrorist, is blatantly inflammatory. And will justify an increase in racist views being tolerated. Rather ironically during BLM protests.

I'm ambivalent about the term 'terrorist'. To me it would have to indicate the motive is to advance a political or religious agenda. But then there is surely an overlap between hate crime and a political cause - if the targets are a particular race, ethnicity, sexuality or adherents of a particular religion, surely? If so, when does it stop being a hate crime and become a terrorist incident, or is it both?

Then there's mental illness. I know some atheists who argue that belief in God is a mental illness. Is a suicide bomber a fanatic or mentally ill? What about Adorno's The Authoritarian Personality which argues that fascism is a psychological disorder brought about by childhood experiences? Were Bobby Sands and the hunger strikers totally rational? 

What about the Yorkshire Ripper - his targets were women, particularly prostitutes. Was this not a form of terrorism? But was he not also schizophrenic? 

If I am honest, I am genuinely confused. If he was targeting people drinking alcohol does that make it a terrorist incident? If he was targeting white people, a hate crime? Or was he just a mad man, perhaps driven insane by things he'd witnessed in Libya? Or perhaps there's some overlap.

What I'd really like to know, is what difference does it make? Serious question.

Edited by Sinner-to-Saint

The term terrorism these days is pretty closely aligned with a particular few organised groups.

I personally dont like it when a lone bam is described as a terrorist. It leads me to believe we are undergoing an organised, pre meditated assault from one of of these actors.

Not to belittle the suffering of the victims because its doesnt make it any less, it's just not the same. Even if the motivation for doing it is the same (religion most times)

26 minutes ago, Sinner-to-Saint said:

I'm ambivalent about the term 'terrorist'. To me it would have to indicate the motive is to advance a political or religious agenda. But then there is surely an overlap between hate crime and a political cause - if the targets are a particular race, ethnicity, sexuality or adherents of a particular religion, surely? If so, when does it stop being a hate crime and become a terrorist incident, or is it both?

Then there's mental illness. I know some atheists who argue that belief in God is a mental illness. Is a suicide bomber a fanatic or mentally ill? What about Adorno's The Authoritarian Personality which argues that fascism is a psychological disorder brought about by childhood experiences? Were Bobby Sands and the hunger strikers totally rational? 

What about the Yorkshire Ripper - his targets were women, particularly prostitutes. Was this not a form of terrorism? But was he not also schizophrenic? 

If I am honest, I am genuinely confused. If he was targeting people drinking alcohol does that make it a terrorist incident? If he was targeting white people, a hate crime? Or was he just a mad man, perhaps driven insane by things he'd witnessed in Libya? Or perhaps there's some overlap.

What I'd really like to know, is what difference does it make? Serious question.

I think the word has always been defined by the agenda of governments. As a man of the darker complexion. Since the attack on the twin towers in 2001, it has been used as a term of hate and racism. Latched onto by xenophobes, and idiots making jokes. 

Yeah, we don't know his motivation yet. It could have been belief in a fundalist Islamist cause. And there probably is some evidence of that, for police to start mentioning terrorism. But in doing so they are also doing harm. Why not just say suspected murder. What he is charged with. And be a little more specific, on what they believe the motive to be.

These other people you mention you mention. There is more of a story to what they've done. We can study and learn about them. But this guy is just left with the dehumanising term terrorist. Which will be projected onto others in future.

52 minutes ago, Sinner-to-Saint said:

On 04/06/2020 at 13:40, NotThePars said:

Bennett strikes me as more of an Adorno’s The Authoritarian Personality type of guy

You're welcome

Guest Bob Mahelp
32 minutes ago, Perkin Flump said:

Is he South African?

This will come as a surprise to many, but South Africa has the world's most far reaching and progressive constitution.....equality for all, regardless of race, colour, religion or sexuality is enshrined in law. 

South Africans (and I presume you mean white South Africans here) are also...in my experience incredibly 'un-racist'. They're well aware of their country's recent history. 

Compared with the systemic racism in the USA, South Africa is a beacon of equality and fairness.