The Office Uk

TheScarf

Having extensively watched The US Office following many recommendations, it's not even remotely in the same league as the UK Office. It's not even in the same league as relatively middle of the road US sitcoms like Parks & Rec or Modern Family. If it didn't have Steve Carrell I think it would have been borderline unwatchable.

On 26/09/2023 at 20:46, 19QOS19 said:

Harsh. The Office US is a fantastic sitcom. It's really well written as well (shame on you for even mentioning it and Browns Boys in the same sentence!) it's just adapted for an American audience. I don't think they can deal that uncomfortable humour as well as us. Though US doesn't always broadcast the joke like a lot of their sitcoms. There is a lot of subtle humour going on in every episode.

When it tried to do a frame for frame redo of the UK one it was terrible and was the reason I left it for years. Thankfully I was persuaded to go back and once it does it's own thing it's a masterpiece. I never understand it when folk try and compare the US and UK version as other than name they are completely different types of comedy. They're both absolutely fantastic and easily among the best sitcoms ever produced. 

To be fair the UK and US Offices aren’t comparable as you say, completely different styles of humour, but no one can convince me that in those 2 series of the UK Office that the character development, depth and relationship arcs can be in any way compared to however many seasons there is of the US Office. That could very well be down to the inability of a US audience to understand that kind of awkward humour, where the joke actually isn’t found amongst the dialogue but within the situation the characters find themselves in. 

I do actually have Comedy Central on my TV and I’ve watched the odd episode of the US Office, and whilst I may have slightly sniggered at parts of it, or stretched my mouth in to the shape of a smile after seeing something that humoured me, I maintain that people who enjoy the US version over the UK one are of a drastically lower IQ (and I can back that up with evidence). If anyone wants to sit through 200 odd episodes of the US Office watching Michael Scott acting out a scene where he inadvertently leaves a voicemail on someones phone like some kind of modern day Laurel and Hardy sketch, or watching a scene where ‘the black guy’ in the office does something that is stereotypical of a black guy, then who am I to tell them not to. It’s just not that funny to people who have a 3 figure IQ. 

On 06/10/2023 at 16:11, Virtual Insanity said:

Having extensively watched The US Office following many recommendations, it's not even remotely in the same league as the UK Office. It's not even in the same league as relatively middle of the road US sitcoms like Parks & Rec or Modern Family. If it didn't have Steve Carrell I think it would have been borderline unwatchable.

First sensible thing I've heard you say all day, well done. 

There is an episode of the US Office where the admin staff play basketball against the warehouse staff (because that is such an everyday, relatable occurrence that I’m sure takes place in companies all across America), and I was told by a couple of guys in my work to watch this particular episode because it had so many funny moments in it. I genuinely think I could have smoked 3 fat weed blunts before watching and not even smirked at a single ‘joke’ in it. That was the first episode of the US version I had ever watched, and as the episode finished and the end credits started to play I don’t think I’ve ever been as angry as I was in that moment; angry that someone I trusted had told me to watch it, angry that a not insignificant amount of people had taken the time to actually produce the episode, almost certainly at great cost, but mostly angry at myself for watching it when I already knew what kind of ‘comedy’ was waiting for me. 

I actually caught the last 10 minutes of an episode a few nights ago when I was waiting on ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm’ to start, and Catherine Tate seemed to be a thing in the US Office. I’ve genuinely met cats that are funnier than her, and not even particularly funny cats. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

Yeah I just can't get into it. Even though its really a sitcom and not a mockumemtary (hence why I never compare the two shows) it's nowhere near as funny as other stuff the Yanks produce. Why it's heralded as one of the greatest shows of all time is baffling to me. 

6 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

To be fair the UK and US Offices aren’t comparable as you say, completely different styles of humour, but no one can convince me that in those 2 series of the UK Office that the character development, depth and relationship arcs can be in any way compared to however many seasons there is of the US Office. That could very well be down to the inability of a US audience to understand that kind of awkward humour, where the joke actually isn’t found amongst the dialogue but within the situation the characters find themselves in. 

I do actually have Comedy Central on my TV and I’ve watched the odd episode of the US Office, and whilst I may have slightly sniggered at parts of it, or stretched my mouth in to the shape of a smile after seeing something that humoured me, I maintain that people who enjoy the US version over the UK one are of a drastically lower IQ (and I can back that up with evidence). If anyone wants to sit through 200 odd episodes of the US Office watching Michael Scott acting out a scene where he inadvertently leaves a voicemail on someones phone like some kind of modern day Laurel and Hardy sketch, or watching a scene where ‘the black guy’ in the office does something that is stereotypical of a black guy, then who am I to tell them not to. It’s just not that funny to people who have a 3 figure IQ. 

You can’t compare UK and US Office but here is my comparison (despite not watching US version), and why you have a lower IQ if you prefer different one to me. 

Does that cover it?

27 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Yeah I just can't get into it. Even though its really a sitcom and not a mockumemtary (hence why I never compare the two shows) it's nowhere near as funny as other stuff the Yanks produce. Why it's heralded as one of the greatest shows of all time is baffling to me. 

It makes Big Bang Theory look like a masterclass in comedic delivery. 

9 minutes ago, Hamish's Passenger said:

You can’t compare UK and US Office but here is my comparison (despite not watching US version), and why you have a lower IQ if you prefer different one to me. 

Does that cover it?

DBECC36A-E76A-478F-B4C5-08C7B3B00324.gif.22fe3bd0516b7f2d81678d27db824d36.gif

That’s basically it, yeah. 

45 minutes ago, Hamish's Passenger said:

Does that cover it?

Does it offend you, yeah? His comments?

9 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

It's easily one of the best Sitcoms America has produced. You've both said you haven't watched a lot of it so at the very least it's 'harsh' for you to be bashing it as you're not in a position to really judge it. 

I struggled initially but thankfully gave it another go and it's fantastic. The IQ remark is ridiculous though. I'm afraid it demonstrates that you really haven't given it any time at all because there is loads of clever humour throughout the show. Laurel and Hardy is still rife throughout comedy today so I'm not sure why that's a stick to be beating it with either! 

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It's easily one of the best Sitcoms America has produced. You've both said you haven't watched a lot of it so at the very least it's 'harsh' for you to be bashing it as you're not in a position to really judge it. 

I struggled initially but thankfully gave it another go and it's fantastic. The IQ remark is ridiculous though. I'm afraid it demonstrates that you really haven't given it any time at all because there is loads of clever humour throughout the show. Laurel and Hardy is still rife throughout comedy today so I'm not sure why that's a stick to be beating it with either! 

You're having a laugh saying that!