American looking for an SPFL team

16 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah theyve had a really close bond since 1986.

@AmericanFan for your knowledge, Celtic had to beat St Mirren by a set amount of goals on the final game day of the season, otherwise Celtic wouldnt win the league. Celtic won the game 5-0, which was enough, as St Mirren didnt put any effort in. The two sets of players celebrated at the final whistle, then the fans celebrated together at the end.

The image below was taken after the match. Celtic fans have green and white striped scarfs with a thin band of gold/orange in it, St Mirren fans have the black and white striped scarfs. Colours arent the best due to the age of the photo.

Obviously theres a clear photo of the flag @Bully Wee Villa mentioned.

0_GL910929.jpg.6756e09f6df4a880efb1048b20955253.jpg

You p***k. You almost make that sound convincing. :lol: 

2 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

Doesn't make me unique. Less than 30 percent of us own guns according to the Washington Post.

30% you mean 3 in 10 folk in the US are packing?

This is why I never fucking road rage in Florida. I went from Orlando to Key West and back without so much as a raised eyebrow because I know there's a good chance the c**t you shout at is a mentalist.

Edited by djchapsticks

2 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Aye, they are great (dependant on who's team wins). The players just walk to the other stadium on match days.

Yeah, nip in past and ask him when the new stadium is getting built, or if he can send over a new Director!

Whoever you choose mate, welcome to Scottish football! Too many people talk the game in Scotland down, but I, like most on Pie & Bovril love it and think it is great that folk like yourself, with no affiliation to the game here want to start following it. We need more like you!

Appreciate it. And thanks for the welcoming and all the information.

I'm kind of leaning towards Hibs. Why would Rangers hate Hibs most next to Celtic?

It’s the Irish catholic connection. Stay well clear of Rangers and Celtic, they are both insidiously evil in their bigotry and hate. Hibernian on the other do have Irish history and that’s where it stays, history. They are a true Scottish club. I’m a Raith Rovers supporter, we’re a cracking wee club. If your leaning towards Hibs then go for it.

The Irish flag is green for Catholics, orange for Protestants, white for St Mirren, I've heard.

I thought the white flag was Aberdeen. They tank everybody else in the premiership until they play the mutants

18 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

Wasn't meaning to be disrespectful to the Hearts fan, just kind of laying out a criteria.

I didn't take it that way don't worry. It's a fact as things stand that we're not in the Premiership. 

10 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Falcor Roar getting served up by AmericanFan there.iZT8ghc.png.ff9846f33c245cc78b9a3721a7217c94.png

Sit doon dafty. 

18 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

Great post. Gives me more things to consider.

Did Hamilton used to be associated with a university or some kind of school? That where it got the name?

Yep, they started as the school team for Hamilton Academy. I'm not sure if the same thing happened with sports teams in the US, but a few clubs started here as works sides for a variety of different businesses, such as the splendidly-named Inverurie Loco Works. Elsewhere, Manchester United are possibly the most famous example. A school team ending up doing as well as Hamilton is pretty rare, however.

27 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Yep, they started as the school team for Hamilton Academy. I'm not sure if the same thing happened with sports teams in the US, but a few clubs started here as works sides for a variety of different businesses, such as the splendidly-named Inverurie Loco Works. Elsewhere, Manchester United are possibly the most famous example. A school team ending up doing as well as Hamilton is pretty rare, however.

PSV Eindhoven and Bayer Leverkusen might contest that...

2 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

PSV Eindhoven and Bayer Leverkusen might contest that...

How dare you. We all know Manchester United are the bestest, most famous football club in the entire world.

The Rangers are, of course, a close second.

21 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

Wow, that is wild on the stadiums. Darby days must be crazy.

So I actually live about 15 minutes from where Keyes Capital is located if you ever want me to drop him a line, haha.

He'll probably appoint you as the next manager. 

Fun fact. William Taft was the US president last time Dundee won the Scottish Cup

10 minutes ago, Arabdownunder said:

Fun fact. William Taft was the US president last time Dundee won the Scottish Cup

He might just end up supporting us when he discovers your teams nickname.

6 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Gotcha. Appreciate it.

Random questions: Do other fans cheer for the teams in European competitions to do well so the league's co-efficient rating improves (will everyone outside of Hamilton be rooting for Motherwell to do well in Europa League qualifying)?

What is the reasoning behind the scheduling after the first 23 games and the split after the 33?

Cheers.

3 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

Random questions: Do other fans cheer for the teams in European competitions to do well so the league's co-efficient rating improves (will everyone outside of Hamilton be rooting for Motherwell to do well in Europa League qualifying)?

What is the reasoning behind the scheduling after the first 23 games and the split after the 33?

Cheers.

For the most part, yes, although it doesn't make much of a difference as everyone gets knocked out within a couple of games. Some folk even root for Celtgers as the further they go, the better Scotland's co-efficient, as you've mentioned. The problem with that is that Celtgers are the only real beneficiaries, as they pick up on the Champions League money that no other clubs will ever receive, and it's exponentially more than, say, Motherwell will have. It won't help them compete in Europe, as Celtgers are still diddies in comparison to the big European clubs, but it's a major part of the reason why nobody else in Scotland will ever win the league again, as their playing budget for the domestic season is, again, exponentially more than any other team. So they win the league, get the Champions League money, reinforce their team, run away with the league, get Champions League money, reinforce their team, etc.

Since The Rangers were formed after the old club died, there was a period where it seemed plausible that, one day, the Celtic half could make an arse of things and someone like Aberdeen could manage to squeak ahead of them. However, The Rangers half are now in the top league and have been burning through money to try and get back into second place and (hopefully) get some of that Champions League money before this club is liquidated too. Unfortunately, this season has coincided with Scotland earning two Champions League places again, so that'll be the top two slots in the Premiership going to them from now on, unless they decide to build up even more unsustainable debt and fold.

That about cover it, @Monkey Tennis?

3 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

Cheers.

There's a split in the Premiership because it only used to be ten teams, and the clubs were generally unhappy that it was such a small league, and difficult to get promoted to. A league of twelve would necessitate 44 matches with four rounds of games, which would be difficult to fit in to the calendar, and only three rounds of games would mean 33 matches, which was a bit too short. Clubs wanted the extra money, so the split was brought in to bump the total games up to 38.

It's unfair, as the fixture list is lopsided; Motherwell, for example, could end up playing Hamilton twice at home and only once away. People seem willing to put up with it, though, as it's still better than the old ten team system. Most fans would probably prefer an even bigger league, but it's debatable. We used to have leagues of a similar size to England, but you end up with a lot of virtually meaningless games in the second half of the season, between clubs who know they aren't going up or down. That seems to be more of a problem here than down South; maybe some of the older posters could give their opinions about that? @Granny Danger?

Of course, plenty of posters on P&B would say the split had to come into effect because TV broadcasters wouldn't settle for three guaranteed Old Firm games per season; they wanted four, and they have the money, so that's what happened. That's probably depressingly true.

6 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:

Funnier fact - Bill Clinton was the US President the first time you won the Scottish Cup!