Cancel culture

9 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

As I've suggested to the other poster, go and watch it to see. Or look up Daphne Dorman's story.

Pretty grim that her wiki page redirects to a stand-up set by another comedian.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

From the replies, I was a bit shocked that it was still acceptable for the tabloids to call gay people 'poofs' by the late Eighties. If someone had asked - and hey, why would they not - my memory would've been that they'd knocked that shit on the head for less obvious slights by then.

Private Eye was, of course, absolutely obsessed with homosexuality; I do remember that being something they had to get over in the Nineties. That's a stone Andrew Neil likes to throw at them whenever they make a crack about his lechery. It's very odd that the public schoolboys who dabbled in homosexuality can end up so keen to distance themselves from The Gayness.

I think the whole "danger, gays will corrupt us all"  broke down late 80's early 90's with the rave culture and going from fighting at football to dancing to Donna Summer. Good E was a good thing.

That last 15 minutes of Dave's show was incredible viewing.
From hilarity to lump in throat stuff and back again for 15 solid minutes.
I've watched it several times now and it doesn't get less sobering.
What Dave did for Daphne's family was fantastic and they have done nothing but support him against all the transphobia allegations.
A lot of these allegations are absolutely coming from people who haven't watched the show, are taking their outrage from other people telling them what to think (like [mention=75247]MrWorldwideJr[/mention] has done here) and as a result haven't the slightest idea what the f**k they are talking about.
It's a shame really.
Daphne's story is utterly tragic and Dave's telling of it deserves a lot more respect than he's getting.

Yeah it was genuinely shocking. I thought he was lining up a final joke and when he announced what happened it honestly hit me for 6. I was pretty upset for a few days after if I'm being truthful, truly awful story but as you say, I'm glad he told us.

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

If I remember rightly, the gay rights movement started to gain traction when AIDS broke out and major celebrities started coming out as gay and other influential celebs stood up and publicly fought for their acceptance. Then politicians started getting involved, introducing and revoking specific laws. Everyone started talking about in the the public sphere and eventually it started becoming accepted by the population. After years of oppression, acceptance started to gain traction in a relatively short time span.

I agree that celebrities done a lot to highlight acceptance but a lot of politicians were quite happy to use AIDS as a homosexual/junkie plague, even the Aids adverts at the time were scary dark messages.  I was talking about the "lad/casual culture" when being called a big poofer or shirt lifter were accepted derogatory term but going clubbing changed that perspective as the gay scene was way ahead of the curve and mixing with a hedonistic vibe broke down barriers quicker than any government initiative could. 

7 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

I agree that celebrities done a lot to highlight acceptance but a lot of politicians were quite happy to use AIDS as a homosexual/junkie plague, even the Aids adverts at the time were scary dark messages.  I was talking about the "lad/casual culture" when being called a big poofer or shirt lifter were accepted derogatory term but going clubbing changed that perspective as the gay scene was way ahead of the curve and mixing with a hedonistic vibe broke down barriers quicker than any government initiative could. 

That's my recollection of the reaction to AIDS in the 80s with the Conservative government using it to push through the Section 28 Clause in 1988 - ultimately it was the pushback against this legislation, which wasn't repealed until over a decade later (by Labour & SNP administrations) which galvanized the LGBT movement.

9 minutes ago, btb said:

That's my recollection of the reaction to AIDS in the 80s with the Conservative government using it to push through the Section 28 Clause in 1988 - ultimately it was the pushback against this legislation, which wasn't repealed until over a decade later (by Labour & SNP administrations) which galvanized the LGBT movement.

The Wiki page for Section 28 is well worth a look to see the stance of some very familiar names, some of whom obviously didn't personally give a f**k one way or the other but used homophobia as a handy tool to win support and bash the opposition.

Michael Howard, for example, essentially puts his own change of heart down to the public "not being fussed anymore". God help homosexuals if the press whip their readership up into a frenzy again, because our politicians won't.

Yeah I was pretty upset by it too.
What really angered me though was the response to Daphne by trans activists when she publicly defended Chappelle against accusations of transphobia. Her own community absolutely rag-dolled her all over social media for a week until she killed herself. And to this day that community of activists still blame Chappelle for her death. Remember this was a man who invited Daphne to open his next gig for him when he found out she wanted to be a stand-up and has setup a trust fund for her children's education. And yet, we are expected to believe he's a transphobe because he told a few jokes. These people are so arrogantly convinced they hold the moral high ground that they'll never accept any responsibility for Daphne's death and they won't remotely consider any other view than their own - not even the view of Daphne's family.
And all this over a couple of fucking jokes. Give me strength...

Yup. Chapelle is truly one of the good guys, and anyone who thinks he’s phobic of any demographic are disingenuous as f**k.

8 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

Yup. Chapelle is truly one of the good guys

Before going too far down that route, you might want to look into his attempts to stop affordable housing being built in his neighbourhood in case it affects the value of his house.

Maybe there were legit reasons for that objection, certainly would require more than just reading the headlines which none of the articles I read seemed to go any deeper on to know for sure who was in the right . Im not sure Id take a housing development companys word either. 

19 hours ago, BFTD said:

Stalin's started erasing himself from history now too?

He could at least have started with the other evil dictators, like Hitler, Pol Pot, or John Sim.

^^

Big dictator found. 

2 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

I like you chief but think you’ve got Chappelle wrong here.

It's possible, but I don't think so. The most charitable interpretation of his objection is that he was against the addition to the development of "affordable housing" that was cheaper but still too expensive, which is reliant on believing that the multi-millionaire would have been happy with "proper" low-cost housing being built in his affluent neighbourhood. Which, hey, if people want to believe that, they're welcome to do so.

Edit: worth pointing out that'll be no different to any other well-paid entertainer. I somehow doubt the residents of the Beverly Hills mansions would react well to cheapo four-in-a-blocks being put up near their digs. But they'd still be NIMBY c***s.

Edited by BFTD

34 minutes ago, velo army said:

Did a NIMBY murder your cat Dave? It seems like a petty stick to beat him with tbh.

They did, and they did it in my back yard.

• 2 weeks later...

Cineworld cancels The Lady of Heaven film screenings after protests - BBC News

I'm pretty sure blasphemy isn't against the law here. Much like The Satanic Verses, few folk would have heard of or wanted to see this if it wasn't for the protests but Cineworld should not have been bullied into puling it from their cinemas.

52 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

I'm pretty sure blasphemy isn't against the law here. Much like The Satanic Verses, few folk would have heard of or wanted to see this if it wasn't for the protests but Cineworld should not have been bullied into puling it from their cinemas.

It is if my memory is right 

I’m sure Donald  Trump complained to the Scottish Parliament about  Patrick Harvie over blasphemous behaviour 

3 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

It is if my memory is right 

I’m sure Donald  Trump complained to the Scottish Parliament about  Patrick Harvie over blasphemous behaviour 

You're right. Blasphemy laws only abolished in England and Wales. We are still in theory as backward as Northern Ireland.  

Although the protests were all in England so the point still stands. Dodgy area letting a few folk protesting stop the screening.

Reminiscent  of the fuss over Life of Brian in the 70s.

2 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

The BBC have said the protests have been peaceful so they haven't exactly been bullied. It's more that Cineworld don't want any hassle or extra expense for a movie that won't make any money. 

20 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The BBC have said the protests have been peaceful so they haven't exactly been bullied. It's more that Cineworld don't want any hassle or extra expense for a movie that won't make any money. 

From the report. (Granted it's a quote from the film's producer and might just be over egging for more publicity)

Executive producer Malik Shlibak told the BBC the protesters were behaving like "thugs and bullies", rushing into cinemas and intimidating staff.