WoSFL Premier Division thread

4 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Enjoy it while it lasts. St Cadoc's and Gartcairn already there. Drumchapel Utd in with a shout for promotion to the Premier finally. Caley Locos have arrested their slide and might return one day. Finnart securing Crownpoint. Who knows what to come from all the 4th Division clubs.

Yep, it's not going to retain the lingering identity as the former top division of the West Juniors indefinitely.

We're fortunate to an extent that Beith and Darvel didn't go up as they're both of value to the WOS as big teams that opposition fans will turn up to see, and happily visit as an away game because they're decent venues.  Had they been promoted we'd already be well on the way to a less attractive-looking WOS.  I give it 5 seasons tops before it's a bit pish. 

24 minutes ago, Shanner said:

Nobody is that enthusiastic about swapping something they currently enjoy for playing civil service strollers and hearts dafty team. I think most traditional ex-junior sides in the WOS league would be happier to let a few of the self proclaimed "ambitious" sides go first to improve the appeal of the LL and then join them in a few seasons time. Personally I'd love to see Talbot in there next season. I've got no idea what the general feeling about that prospect is in the wider Talbot support these days.

£420 for a bus to Cumbernauld last week kind of sums it up. It would decimate the Talbot support with trips to Fife, England and other far flung places. 

1 hour ago, beaver watch said:

£420 for a bus to Cumbernauld last week kind of sums it up. It would decimate the Talbot support with trips to Fife, England and other far flung places. 

Supporters would pick and choose their away games they go to more but Berwick, Linlithgow Rose, Tranent, Bo'ness, Cowdenbeath, Albion Rovers and even East Stirling would bring a bigger support than more than a few current West Premier teams.

5 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Enjoy it while it lasts. St Cadoc's and Gartcairn already there. Drumchapel Utd in with a shout for promotion to the Premier finally. Caley Locos have arrested their slide and might return one day. Finnart securing Crownpoint. Who knows what to come from all the 4th Division clubs.

Aye, aye,...we get it. AHmBuSHsion and all that.

Big city clubs. Big city drug money...oh, sorry....I mean problems.

The lad further up the thread possibly makes a better point but you seem to be in favour of getting an extra 36 people through the gate...that'll be twenty track-suit 'club members' and 12 paying customers who'll mostly be some of the mammies & daddies of the players. And four guys wae scars across their faces.

I didn't think I was finished with all this, but maybe I will be now. Be nice to one another.

8 hours ago, beaver watch said:

Don't the NUM help out with the cost of bus to away games?

3 hours ago, Black Pennel said:

The lad further up the thread possibly makes a better point but you seem to be in favour of getting an extra 36 people through the gate...that'll be twenty track-suit 'club members' and 12 paying customers who'll mostly be some of the mammies & daddies of the players. And four guys wae scars across their faces.

I didn't think I was finished with all this, but maybe I will be now. Be nice to one another.

Big City drug problem, nobody will deny it.

Although wasn't there a news report from Auchinleck last year of mobs with pitchforks wanting to burn village folks out their houses.

31 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

Big City drug problem, nobody will deny it.

Although wasn't there a news report from Auchinleck last year of mobs with pitchforks wanting to burn village folks out their houses.

A neighbourly dispute over someone's fushias encroaching on their property blown out of proportion. 

4 hours ago, Black Pennel said:

Strange hill to die on BP.

4 hours ago, Black Pennel said:

I don't you do since you're the one that brought up ambition and disney villian drug lords.

11 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

For me St Cadocs and Gartcairn are what I would class as typical LL teams, new club, relying heavily on investors, no support worth mentioning and not bringing a great deal to the table. In an ideal world, teams in the WOS would all benefit from one and other, for example taking a good away support to a game etc....that generates clubs money and keeps them afloat. Teams like St Cadocs, Gartcairn dont have supporters to bring, before anyone says, I do accept we aren't the best supported team either however still carry some support to away games. 

Truth is the LL and the pyramid in general came far too late for a lot of the Junior sides, probably 40/50 years too late. The Junior cul de sac in the end was great for a handful of Junior clubs, the rest just died a death, support wise. When was the last time there was more than 10,000 at any Junior Cup game, final or otherwise. Clydebank and Pollok can bring in 700 plus for league game. Most clubs are lucky to get 70 never mind 700.

Btw, how many teams play in a glorified cage if you add in Kilwinning Rangers, Ashfield, Benburb, St Anthony's etc

1 hour ago, PossilYM said:

Truth is the LL and the pyramid in general came far too late for a lot of the Junior sides, probably 40/50 years too late. The Junior cul de sac in the end was great for a handful of Junior clubs, the rest just died a death, support wise. When was the last time there was more than 10,000 at any Junior Cup game, final or otherwise. Clydebank and Pollok can bring in 700 plus for league game. Most clubs are lucky to get 70 never mind 700.

Btw, how many teams play in a glorified cage if you add in Kilwinning Rangers, Ashfield, Benburb, St Anthony's etc

The LL is full of glorified cages.  

Hope Darvel win the league & the play offs. Wouldn't be a miss in my opinion. Clydebank bottling it at a crucial time , they'll have to be disappointed with how things have panned out recently , are thye still in contention ? Beith don't look as strong as last season along with losing Rossiter & Mcglinchey this season. Should be a good run in. Massive game at Bellsdale on Saturday.

14 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Can you name 8/16? Since that could at lest be considered half full

East Kilbride

Cumbernauld Colts just rent a ground

Hearts B just ground share with Whitehill - non competitive team

Celtic B just ground share with Airdrie - non competitive team

University of Stirling

Caley Braves

Gretna 

Edinburgh Uni 

Gala fairydean

Broomhill just rent a ground

Speaking to a Bo'ness committee man at work couple weeks back, he said the LL was the worst thing to happen to them, trying to attract/retain players is very difficult. Frequent mid week games all over the place means it is almost impossible for a lot of players to play. 

When you have 2 non competitive teams playing in a league that can pretty much change full squad on a weekly basis and can heavily influence the league imo isn't right. 

Of the teams above, they hardly have a support between them. Unsure the number of fans the B teams attract.  If football is about fans and the community then the LL is a failure. What is the point in being part of a club unless there is meaning behind it. 

LL is about money end of story. I maintain it is a plastic league. Do any of the teams listed above excite me at the prospect of playing them, no. 

If the pyramid is to work I think the LL needs scraped as a higher tier. You then have a play off between the winners of SOSL, HL, WOSL, EOSL, the winner of that then plays the bottom team in league 2. That way it is a pyramid, the premier divisions of the sos, HL, WOS, EOS are all viewed as equal. The pyramid system does not work with the LL in place. If you want a proper structure in my opinion this is the best option. I know it won't happen due to politics of football however if you want meaningful reform then this is best way forward. Reallocate the teams in the LL into their regional league i.e. Gretna to SoS, Broomhill to WoS etc...bin the LL altogether. All teams in the EoS, WoS, SoS and HL compete for the non-league Scottish Cup. 

I await the uproar however I think scraping the LL would be the best thing for the pyramid. It is a horrible league.

1 hour ago, The nameless tim said:

Hope Darvel win the league & the play offs. Wouldn't be a miss in my opinion. Clydebank bottling it at a crucial time , they'll have to be disappointed with how things have panned out recently , are thye still in contention ? Beith don't look as strong as last season along with losing Rossiter & Mcglinchey this season. Should be a good run in. Massive game at Bellsdale on Saturday.

In fairness it would be more than a little hilarious if Darvel got promotion this year after Gall has left. Wonder if his wee shiny face would pop up somewhere on the interview circuit?

Edited by jimbaxters

38 minutes ago, rhubarb1974 said:

East Kilbride

Cumbernauld Colts just rent a ground

Hearts B just ground share with Whitehill - non competitive team

Celtic B just ground share with Airdrie - non competitive team

University of Stirling

Caley Braves

Gretna 

Edinburgh Uni 

Gala fairydean

Broomhill just rent a ground

That'd be a no then. Moaning about cages having to include groundshares. 

10 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

That'd be a no then. Moaning about cages having to include groundshares. 

Cages, groundshares all things that shouldn't be allowed at this level. No need for them, have your own ground or be restricted to below the west/east etc...premier league. Should be allowed in west prem up. 

Do you agree with my other points on restructuring? You seem far more in favour of the LL than most.