WoSFL Premier Division thread

29 minutes ago, rhubarb1974 said:

If you are too far away and the incline of the stand isn't steep enough then there is a massive impact on atmosphere. 

No, it really doesn't   You've not been to Scotland games have you?

11 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Hampden doesn't have a poor atmosphere (have you been at a Scotland game recently?). As has been pointed out it's fans that create it, not a ground.

Hampden is a dreadful stadium for watching football.

6 minutes ago, glensmad said:

It really isn't.   Yes, it's a bit long in the tooth by modern standards with the shape that it is, but i's only really bad if you're low down behind the goals.

35 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

No, it really doesn't   You've not been to Scotland games have you?

I have literally told you I am there for all competitive games. 

If you don't think the stadium has an impact on atmosphere you are kidding yourself on. One of my favorite stadiums to go in Scotland is Tynecastle, You feel like you are right on top of the play, it has steep stands etc...and it all adds to the atmosphere. 

1 minute ago, Burnieman said:

It really isn't.   Yes, it's a bit long in the tooth by modern standards with the shape that it is, but i's only really bad if you're low down behind the goals.

Hampden is not good for watching football. Behind the goals is miles from the action. Low down dug out side is unwatchable as the subs ets stand in front of you. The camber on the pitch doesn't help low down either side as you cannot see the far touchline. It is a terrible place to watch football.

2 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

The cost of the redevelopment of hampden for the SFA was not much less than what it cost the Welsh FA for the new build millennium stadium, I know what one I would rather have. 

Just now, rhubarb1974 said:

I have literally told you I am there for all competitive games. 

If you don't think the stadium has an impact on atmosphere you are kidding yourself on. One of my favorite stadiums to go in Scotland is Tynecastle, You feel like you are right on top of the play, it has steep stands etc...and it all adds to the atmosphere. 

You clearly haven't given your opinion on lack of atmosphere at Scotland games, literally nobody I know has said it's anything but superb this last year or two.  Even Spanish journos were writing about it after we beat them.  We're successful at the moment, and the fans are up for it.

Tynecastle can be a morgue, it's a myth it has a great atmosphere every game.  Fans make the atmoshere, not the stadium.

2 minutes ago, DanMan said:

Hampden is not good for watching football. Behind the goals is miles from the action. Low down dug out side is unwatchable as the subs ets stand in front of you. The camber on the pitch doesn't help low down either side as you cannot see the far touchline. It is a terrible place to watch football.

Low down in any stadium - particularly behind the goals - is a poor viewing experience in any stadium.

Just now, Burnieman said:

You clearly haven't given your opinion on lack of atmosphere at Scotland games, literally nobody I know has said it's anything but superb this last year or two.  Even Spanish journos were writing about it after we beat them.  We're successful at the moment, and the fans are up for it.

Tynecastle can be a morgue, it's a myth it has a great atmosphere every game.  Fans make the atmoshere, not the stadium.

I don't think the atmosphere generated at Hampden is good. The spell of time when Scotland played at a few different venues for me was far more enjoyable and better atmosphere. 

6 minutes ago, rhubarb1974 said:

The cost of the redevelopment of hampden for the SFA was not much less than what it cost the Welsh FA for the new build millennium stadium, I know what one I would rather have. 

FWIW the Welsh FA dont own the Millennium Stadium.

I do agree that Hampden is poor for watching games, but like all grounds the atmosphere can vary depending on the game. 

48 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

It really is, in my opinion.

Even if you're high up, you are a million miles from the pitch.

It's a terrible stadium.

17 minutes ago, glensmad said:

It really is, in my opinion.

Even if you're high up, you are a million miles from the pitch.

It's a terrible stadium.

You'll get that at any oval shaped stadium.  The view I had for the Scotland game in Seville last year was terrible, low down, by a corner flag, with a running track. Brussels is the same. The AVIVA stadium in Dublin is modern, but the view behind the goal in the away section is terrible despite it being a rectangular ground.  I was in row 2 of the Copeland Road stand at Ibrox for a Scotland game against Georgia a few years back, crap view.

I've been in the North and West stands most of the last 25 years and the views of the pitch are very good, high or low. Top tier of the South stand is great, rear of the lower tier also very good.  Behind the goals not so good, low down pretty bad. Any seats low down are crap.

Hampden gets big football events for a reason and it will host Euro 2028.  It does need modernised, perhaps even completely replaced, but to say its terrible isn't a reflection of reality.

Anyway, hee haw to do with the WoSFL so I'll bow out.

Edited by Burnieman

Hampden has a great atmosphere when the crowd are up for it.

Is it a bit dated inside, yes it is. It needs updating.

Atmosphere is generated by the people within the stadium though and when the right folk are in there and making a noise, it's terrific.

48 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

......but to say its terrible isn't a reflection of reality.

Maybe not in your reality, but it is in mine.

Comparing it to the views in other stadiums is irrelevant, just because other oval stadiums aren't very good for viewing either doesn't make Hampden any better.

It's a terrible stadium for watching football in my opinion.

40 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Maybe not in your reality, but it is in mine.

Comparing it to the views in other stadiums is irrelevant, just because other oval stadiums aren't very good for viewing either doesn't make Hampden any better.

It's a terrible stadium for watching football in my opinion.

We'll agree to disagree on that one.

6 hours ago, glensmad said:

It definitely isn't great. It can be decent if you cough for a decent seat but if you're behind the goals forget about seeing the game properly.