The George Galloway "Unity Party" thread

Ross.

Someone just pointed out that the Labour guy could have already got a load of postal votes before his party disowned him, which post COVID would be more significant than it used to be. And the fact he got disowned for saying pretty much what Galloway's saying, but also campaigned on the rest of the issues that George is ignoring, makes me think I might win my Labour bet, which is the important thing here.

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

Galloway has done so many face and heel turns that I have no idea what he believes or represents anymore. He's a self publicist of epic proportions. Is he the least bad option for Rochdalians?

aye, the most shocking being his move from Dundee United fan to Celtic fan

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Liberal Unionist were a distinct party, even if they were arseholes, they should count I reckon. 

For all General Elections they were in pact with the Conservatives - and both didn't compete in individual seats - IIRC... so not really the same*.

Interestingly even counting it could still only give 1 hat-trick:

300px-Francis_Bingham_Mildmay.jpg
Francis Mildmay
won Totnes for Liberals in 1885... for Liberal Unionists in 1886, 1892, 1895, 1900, 1906, 1910 (twice)... for Conservatives in 1918

*more like CDU+CSU in Germany, or historically in Scotland e.g. Conservative+Scottish Unionist, Conservatives+Progressives, Labour+Co-operative, etc

Edited by HibeeJibee

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Someone just pointed out that the Labour guy could have already got a load of postal votes before his party disowned him, which post COVID would be more significant than it used to be. And the fact he got disowned for saying pretty much what Galloway's saying, but also campaigned on the rest of the issues that George is ignoring, makes me think I might win my Labour bet, which is the important thing here.

brace-yourself-got.gif

BBC News reporter at count has just suggested the (disowned) Labour candidate - who isn't attending - is tanking... and Galloway's main challenger seems to be Tully, a businessman running as independent 😲. (Btw pollster just said that if Tully finishes top 2 it will be first instance of outsider 1-2 since Scottish Combined Universities by-election 1945... which only had 2 candidates!).

image.png.a97c597f2c9ee3c66c7bcba7ee0fdca1.png

Edited by HibeeJibee

20 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

(Btw pollster just said that if Tully finishes top 2 it will be first instance of outsider 1-2 since Scottish Combined Universities by-election 1945... which only had 2 candidates!).

Buckingham 2017, John Bercow won as "The Speaker seeking re-election" while the Greens finished second.

Bit of a cheat, admittedly.

Be interested to know when the last contested election produced two candidates not from Labour/Tory/Lib (not counting (Northern) Ireland).

50 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

He really is a repulsive arsehole. 

That first one is hillarious. It's pretty much the Britain First manifesto with 'I'll bring back Primark!' tagged onto the bottom.

The one targeted at Muslims seems familiar...

KTWMRKQoupyjXhbzUQDeVheA_Ft57nl2hUUQ7ozyVhc.thumb.webp.3545acf11ca35bceb12c38409eb702f1.webp

5 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

If he wins Galloway will have been elected an MP - rather than defecting/etc. - representing 3 different parties: Labour x4, Respect x2, and now Workers. (He also ran unsuccessfully as an MSP under 'All for Unity'). Can't be many politicians ever managed that hat-trick?

20 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Seems nobody has ever been elected to Westminster for 3 distinct parties

😲

image.png.69e662c993dbe3d64b68b98f189afd72.png

Shutterstock_625396c.jpg

Rochdale you say.

Wasn't that the seat won election after election by thon big fat bloke who was a political celebrity on TV. A nice cosy Liberal, not too far to the Left or the Right. Really represented Rochdale and it's people. Think he might have originally been in the Labour Party. Sure he was the local Mayor way back in his career. Just a big happy go lucky larger than life type that really seem to care. 

Cyril Smith MP

Personal friend of Jimmy Savile.

Turned out he was one the biggest in every sense of the word, nonce, in the UK. Was one of a number found out to be flying to that children's home in the Channel Islands.

Destroyed the political legacy of David Steel ex Liberal Leader when it was outed that Steel knew and never went to the cops.

25 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

🤣🤣 Tremendous,he really is a first rate grifter.Worrying times for the likes of Rayner and co 

Is big Claire no' deid?

Edited by jimbaxters

3 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Rochdale you say.

Wasn't that the seat won election after election by thon big fat bloke who was a political celebrity on TV. A nice cosy Liberal, not too far to the Left or the Right. Really represented Rochdale and it's people. Think he might have originally been in the Labour Party. Sure he was the local Mayor way back in his career. Just a big happy go lucky larger than life type that really seem to care. 

Cyril Smith MP

Personal friend of Jimmy Savile.

Turned out he was one the biggest in every sense of the word, nonce, in the UK. Was one of a number found out to be flying to that children's home in the Channel Islands.

Destroyed the political legacy of David Steel ex Liberal Leader when it was outed that Steel knew and never went to the cops.

And Simon Danczuk, who had to resign after he was caught messaging a teenage girl. Obviously he has now washed up at Reform. 

This particular constituency really does have a liking for complete reprobates.