Live Aid

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Yes, let's all bow down to such wonderful lyrics as *checks notes*

I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride my bike
I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride it where I like

To be fair Bowie wrote The Laughing Gnome & The Who let The Ox release Boris the Spider.

4 minutes ago, Perkin Flump said:

To be fair Bowie wrote The Laughing Gnome & The Who let The Ox release Boris the Spider.

I have always thought that Bowie too was overrated drivel.

7 minutes ago, Perkin Flump said:

Can we now address the whole Pink Floyd/okay thing.

Sure. David Gilmour is actually one of my favourite guitarists. Pink Floyd have some absolutely brilliant songs, but also a hell of a lot of self-indulgent pish. Hence, they're okay.

9 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

I can’t believe I’m seeing people call Queen pish, and being 100% serious about it

Im astounded the other way that so many people are coming out to bat for a decidedly MoR band. Genuinely thought "Sparks for c***s"and "music for people who aren't that into music" was a mainstream opnion

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

Sure. David Gilmour is actually one of my favourite guitarists. Pink Floyd have some absolutely brilliant songs, but also a hell of a lot of self-indulgent pish. Hence, they're okay.

Fair point, the good outweighs the bad I think so they remain one of my favourite bands.

You know what else pisses me off about Queen? The fact that their 'album' Greatest Hits is counted as the best-selling album in the UK.

A Greatest Hits is a compilation, not an album.

c***s

10 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Im astounded the other way that so many people are coming out to bat for a decidedly MoR band. Genuinely thought "Sparks for c***s"and "music for people who aren't that into music" was a mainstream opnion

Queen's 'Greatest Hits' would be one of the three albums Alan Partridge would own, along with Best of the Beatles and (probably) something by Genesis.

7 hours ago, trainspotter said:

I certainly don't remember anyone in the pub watching the TV and clapping in sync to Radio Ga Ga, as portrayed in the sycophantic pile of pish that was Bohemian Rhapsody.

I did go out a few days later and buy Beach Boys compilation though.

1 minute ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

FTFY

Professor Longhair, on the other hand, got overlooked. 

Probably because he was dead. 

But all the same, the point stands. No James Brown, Lee Dorsey, Al Green, James Carr, Smokey Robinson, Gil Scot Herron etc

43 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Adam was on the wane but would still have had a load of teens in the crowd who'd run a Nivea stripe over their noses a few years earlier. 

Dave Myers of Hairy Biker fame was a make up artist and is responsible for that.

1 minute ago, Angusfifer said:

But all the same, the point stands. No James Brown, Lee Dorsey, Al Green, James Carr, Smokey Robinson, Gil Scot Herron etc

I suspect Geldof hasn't heard of any of them.

6 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

My mate travelled down to be at the event and said the sound quality was terrible.

Outdoor large live gigs then were often woeful.

Today with the big money in festivals there has been an incredible improvement in sound engineering.