Sky Sports are Taking the Piss Thread

• 3 weeks later...

I presume the extra 20 games that are being sold will give the rights holder the option to show post split bottom 6 games seeing as Sky have proactively avoided them for years now.

I hope so.

Sky ignoring the bottom six after the split every season sums up their disinterest in the teams outwith the arsecheeks. Especially given that the resulting playoff consistently provides two of the most entertaining matches of the season.

• 1 month later...

I can’t recall Sky ever showing four many games in a single weekend before. It almost feels like a response to Premier now being on the scene. 

Although we do start a week earlier than the EFL this season, so that will certainly have had something to do with it as well. 

Interestingly, 60 games would mean Sky maxing-out their home quota for every team (i.e. 5 visits to all 12 grounds).

Unrelated to sky, but what is the thoughts on the 17:30 Saturday slot by premier? 

First up is Dundee v Hearts on the 2nd weekend. Has potential to be a cracker, and hopefully a good crowd.

10 hours ago, The Master said:

Although we do start a week earlier than the EFL this season, so that will certainly have had something to do with it as well. 

That has everything to do with it. Not a chance in hell that four games are being shown if there’s English football on that weekend. It’s a bit like when Sportsound give themselves a pat on the back in covering the Championship when there’s no Premiership matches on.

Anyone think its a wee bit fishy that the SPFL won't tell us how much a season the Premier Sports, 5 year deal is worth? All they have said is it's 8 figures.

Sky get 60 games for approx. 30m with a 4m option for extra's. For that they get the 4 OF which is the main reason they buy the league along with a bit of filler on their various channels. It works out as 500k per game.

Premier Sports were announced 3 weeks ago to a bit of fanfare and differing outlets say differing things.

The Record says 10m the Scotsman says 8 figures. Nobody says if that per season or over the duration. I doubt Premier would pay more per match than Sky.

Record article: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/spfl-strike-bumper-premier-sports-32964438

Scotsman says 8-figures https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-confirm-new-tv-deal-with-broadcaster-as-premiership-set-for-record-number-of-live-matches-4654243

The only reason I can figure these numbers are being withheld are they will annoy the main broadcast partner if Premier secured it for much less than they did per game and/or the fans who think our game has been undersold will find out it's been undersold.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

That has everything to do with it. Not a chance in hell that four games are being shown if there’s English football on that weekend. It’s a bit like when Sportsound give themselves a pat on the back in covering the Championship when there’s no Premiership matches on.

Well, the question is do we as fans really want to see four games shown regularly?

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to give credit where it’s due, that Sky are showcasing the league on a weekend with no other football. But showing that many games going forward really wouldn’t be sustainable when there’s only six fixtures. Not only would they reach their limit after 15(!) match weeks, some clubs would barely play Saturday 3pm. 

Sky showing four games on the opening weekend is undoubtedly a good thing. It's obvious a result of no English football, but if it showcases the opening weekend to a wider audience then that's all good in my book.

Obviously they're not going to show 4 games each week, it'll be a Sunday lunchtime game every week, with the occasional added game thrown in now and then - FA Cup weekends etc. Hopefully, the new Premier deal will force them into showing as close to 60 as possible, as they now have an actual penalty for not showing games.

Interestingly, seeing their plans for the EFL, it looks like Sunday lunchtime will be the only slot left in lieu most weeks for an SPFL game - which will be very interesting with Celtic and Rangers in the CL - I doubt they'll stick an SPFL game at the same time as their new prime EFL slot.

Premier's 17:30 game should hopefully include some good games and Dundee vs Hearts is a good one to start on, and the slot is probably the best TV slot  with the least disruption for fans. Personally loved the 6pm games with Aberdeen in the last few years and it's good to see that continue.

2 hours ago, Handsome John said:

SPFL reckoned they’d be worth up to £8M per year if they sold them to Sky! 😂

I reckon it will be somewhere between £2-3M. 

Using your mid point that would have Premier pay 125,000 per game when sky are at 500,000.

The 61st-80th choice fixtures are obviously going to be a bit less valuable than the first 60. That's the issue with wanting more and more games on TV, at some point there's a tipping point where the cost to the clubs in terms of reduced attendances etc becomes more than the income from selling the games. However, 5:30pm kick-offs will help with the former, it's the best available TV slot.

58 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The 61st-80th choice fixtures are obviously going to be a bit less valuable than the first 60. That's the issue with wanting more and more games on TV, at some point there's a tipping point where the cost to the clubs in terms of reduced attendances etc becomes more than the income from selling the games. However, 5:30pm kick-offs will help with the former, it's the best available TV slot.

At present our weekend live games tend to feature whatever one of the OF play away as it gets the biggest audience and also ticks off a diddy team stadium in the quota. With 20 games safe to assume within that Premier Sports will have a similar quota equating to 2 Sevco and 2 Celtic home games.

I wouldn't be surprised if part of their deal Sky got a few more games at Parkhead and Ibrox because lets face it that's what they want.

Regardless, to drop from 500k per game under Sky to something far less is quite a jump.

25 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

At present our weekend live games tend to feature whatever one of the OF play away as it gets the biggest audience and also ticks off a diddy team stadium in the quota. With 20 games safe to assume within that Premier Sports will have a similar quota equating to 2 Sevco and 2 Celtic home games.

I wouldn't be surprised if part of their deal Sky got a few more games at Parkhead and Ibrox because lets face it that's what they want.

Regardless, to drop from 500k per game under Sky to something far less is quite a jump.

Your logic here falls flat on the basic fact that Rangers and Celtic only play 17 away games each per season against other clubs. The Sky deal is 60 games, so even if they showed every single one of these Celtic and Rangers away game (34 games) plus the five home games each per club that they are allowed (10 games), you are only getting to 44 games. That leaves 16 non-Old Firm games for Sky before you even get to Premier's extra 20 games.