Motherwell's one stop short holiday

Busta Nut

On 12/09/2020 at 10:53, true_rover said:
On 11/09/2020 at 13:32, Phillips455 said:
Coleraine vs Motherwell game will be on BBC NI so you should be able to view it on the BBC website. Tommy Wright will be commentating as well. Coverage starts at 7.30pm on the 17th.

https://colerainefc.com/bbc-showcase/

Also up in the high channel numbers for those on Sky and (I assume) Virgin Media.

I hope I'm wrong, but a Google search indicates it's not available on Virgin.

19 hours ago, Swello said:

All feels very low key given that it's on Thursday - must be the least hyped European game ever...

Tbh since its 2 Northern Ireland teams back to back it feels more like the pre season friendlys.

If we get through, and the Israeli team progresses we might get a bye as Israel is currently under lockdown. I dont know how they will be able to host the match and its the home team who are responsible (since its the home teams country that has implemented the lockdown/restrictions).

2 hours ago, Phillips455 said:

Tbh since its 2 Northern Ireland teams back to back it feels more like the pre season friendlys.

If we get through, and the Israeli team progresses we might get a bye as Israel is currently under lockdown. I dont know how they will be able to host the match and its the home team who are responsible (since its the home teams country that has implemented the lockdown/restrictions).

If we get through and this becomes a problem I fully expect that UEFA will help support the relocation to a neutral venue. On the assumption that we are not allowed entry into Israel or have to quarantine on arrival as more likely. 

I hope it is an issue and a bye would be fantastic but again I expect a neutral venue would be the solution. 

9 minutes ago, welldaft said:

If we get through and this becomes a problem I fully expect that UEFA will help support the relocation to a neutral venue. On the assumption that we are not allowed entry into Israel or have to quarantine on arrival as more likely. 

I hope it is an issue and a bye would be fantastic but again I expect a neutral venue would be the solution. 

Concur.

35 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Maccabi Haifa are at home this round, surely whatever happens in that tie will be the same for Hapoel should they go through and the lockdown is still in place next week.

I don't imagine they would be allowed to play this round if the next round would be a bye for their opponent, if anything it would be a bye for their opponent (Laci) this week.

1 hour ago, ahemps said:

Maccabi Haifa are at home this round, surely whatever happens in that tie will be the same for Hapoel should they go through and the lockdown is still in place next week.

I don't imagine they would be allowed to play this round if the next round would be a bye for their opponent, if anything it would be a bye for their opponent (Laci) this week.

I'm pretty sure that UEFA want as many ties to go ahead as possible. The only issue that i see is that the Israeli Lock down was only announced after the round draws had taken place and it was very close to the 2nd round matches. They may be able to leave Israel fine but i believe the issue is travelling to Israeli as a foreign team. If we do get through and play them then i would expect it to potentially be played in a neutral country before any forfeits are applied (not that i wouldn't mind to take a walkover in the 3rd round).

46 minutes ago, ropy said:

There is part of me that says this should be a routine win against lower league opposition, not sure if it is my head or my heart.

Reality is that Motherwell rarely win any game comfortably regardless the opposition. More than that we have lost many times to lower league teams in cup competitions. So although we all recognise that Coleraine is a favourable draw many of us have been at Albion Rovers / Ayr United / Forfar etc.

I expect it to be a tough game but the advantage we have this time around is we have played 8 competitive games whereas normally we would be either friendlies or league cup stages. Which makes the chance of an upset even greater. 

The one thing we have not done in Europe is beat a team seeded higher than ourselves. Something that is done on a semi regular basis as Coleraine proved against Maribor in the last round. For that reason amongst others it would be great to get through tonight and have a go at Hapoel B Sheva (most likely). Then the pressure is off to an extent. 

That said with the play off draw tomorrow chances are we will get a very tough and unwinnable tie in any case. But would be good to know what the prize is if we win tonight and again next week. 

On 15/09/2020 at 15:31, Archie McSquackle said:

Hope so or I'm stuck with the PC. I've checked my Sky listings and it's not showing for BBC NI 1 or 2.

Not sure there are apps on sky, but its on the BBC sport app on Virgin Media

Edited by Richie