Mighty Montrose FC Thread

13 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Not really bothered about him leaving, especially if we’re getting some money out of it. I think our squad is best suited to playing 1 up top now anyway and it removes the problem of which of the 2 of him and Hester to play. 

You will be with just Hester up top!

Gutted in a way it's not worked out but we move on.

What is with a "Marquee" signing at LP and not living up to the hype?Take away Sean Dillon who has been an excellent servant and player.

Russel McLean

Michael Gardyne(Jury still out )

Lewis Hawke(Joke😉🤣)

Rory Macalister- to name a few and going back the years John Gemmell and Johnathan Smart were coming here with a big reputation and did nothing aswell.Then on the other hand we have had players like Paddy Cregg(we were told he was finished)Craig Johnson(poor signing so the Cowden fans said) and even Chris Templeman some said he was finished and all of them turned out to superb for us.

Must admit I'm glad we got some money for him, not sure the figure but reckon it would be decent for the board to accept and for a 36 year old that is a plus.Hope to hear about some players coming in now in the next few days🙏🙏🙏

1 hour ago, Aidan said:

Not really bothered about him leaving, especially if we’re getting some money out of it. I think our squad is best suited to playing 1 up top now anyway and it removes the problem of which of the 2 of him and Hester to play. 

Probably allows us to get the ball out to the wings more which is an area of the quad we are particularly strong in. Hopefully reinforcements in midfield and maybe a centre back🤞

Rory will have a nice swansong up the road at Peterhead & we’ll get some cash so the move works out for all.

Could never fault his effort even if at times he seemed a bit socially isolated within the team / squad. He often seemed frustrated and annoyed.

Well best of luck to him anyway I hope he does a turn for the Fishy Jailers. Should still have a fair bit to offer in League Two.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

We’ve did one of those signing things, Luke Graham, centre back from Dundee. Watched him against Buckie in the challenge cup and he looked fairly solid although Buckie were absolutely pish. Sure he’s quite highly rated and was linked with some decent sized teams down south recently. 

Certainly some positives at the game but QoS were not a good side and it is vital we win or don't lose against such teams. In L1 we must win games we should win and pick up a point or two against others who we expect to be tough. We could well have picked up a point at Hamilton in the last minute and at QoS we were fairly solid but my guess is that we learned a lot from that game. We played with pace up top instead of lumping it forward so much and even when we did there were runners like Hester, Lyons and Brown who gave chase and scored 3 times. Must mention Machado as well as he did a good job going forward (although he is not a natural defender).  I wouldn't have taken Lyons off when we did as he was a problem for Queens but on the other hand we had to do something as Queens were exerting a lot of pressure and soon went to 2-2 and looked like pushing on from there. Bringing Luke Graham on shored up the defensive back line and he did well but bringing on Paul Watson as an attacking midfielder to support Hester and Brown up top was a master stroke with all his experience and I'd like to see that happen again - but I'd also want Lyons in as well to simply get at the opposition and peg them back instead of inviting them forward onto our defence. Overall I think we are adapting well to change in a difficult League 1 where as a part-time club it is not exactly the best place to make wholesale changes - bit by bit is the way forward and next week is a rest from the league so in a way it's a game which is not as important except we don't want to risk any injuries or suspensions. We are the Mo.

6 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Was anybody at the game yesterday?

A decent result, albeit in a fairly meaningless competition. Its good to see that we are capable of winning games.

I was there and fancied our chances with Kane and Webby on the bench, Masson and Waddell out but we failed to take any of our chances first half and Mo grew into the game. 

Second half only one team looked like scoring, not us. We had possession and tried to create but completely ineffective. Brown's goal top class, unstoppable strike and exactly what you what you want Kane to be doing; playing on the shoulder and exploiting space in behind. 

We're in a dismal place right now which was signified by the boos and disenchantment at full time.

Thought Lyons showed some quality. Definitely got ability and is a ball carrier. Brown on form clearly.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

24 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I was there and fancied our chances with Kane and Webby on the bench, Masson and Waddell out but we failed to take any of our chances first half and Mo grew into the game. 

Second half only one team looked like scoring, not us. We had possession and tried to create but completely ineffective. Brown's goal top class, unstoppable strike and exactly what you what you want Kane to be doing; playing on the shoulder and exploiting space in behind. 

We're in a dismal place right now which was signified by the boos and disenchantment at full time showed.

Thought Lyons showed some quality. Definitely got ability and is a ball carrier. Brown on form clearly.

Thanks for the update. Really enjoy your posts. It's early days but maybe, just maybe, we are starting to shake the monkey of last season's disappointment off our backs. Petrie may just have managed to get a team together which delivers.

Next week will help confirm this.