COVID-19 In Scottish Football

Just now, Cptn Hooch said:

But he SHOULD have been isolating as he was considered a close contact of a positive case.

Yes, he should have been isolating, but he has not tested positive for covid. The only person who tested positive was the other assistant. Therefore the only people who could be considered "close contacts" are people who were in contact with that other assistant. The Hibs and Hamilton players were not in contact with that other assistant, so there is absolutely no way they could be considered close contacts.

I would have expected the person who wrote the article to have some degree of understanding of how the track and trace process works, a whole nine months after it became a thing.

23 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Yes, he should have been isolating, but he has not tested positive for covid. The only person who tested positive was the other assistant. Therefore the only people who could be considered "close contacts" are people who were in contact with that other assistant. The Hibs and Hamilton players were not in contact with that other assistant, so there is absolutely no way they could be considered close contacts.

I would have expected the person who wrote the article to have some degree of understanding of how the track and trace process works, a whole nine months after it became a thing.

I get that you're going by the track and trace definition of "close contact". My takeaway from the article is that since the Hibs and Hamilton players were not deemed to be close enough to a potential risk then there is no reason for them to worry. Close contacts still exist outwith the realms of covid

Some light at the end of the tunnel it seems. 

Looking at some of the mentioned timelines for relaxations in England. Such as outdoor allowing sports circa the 29th March. Even taking into account slightly more cautious dates in Scotland. Fans in stadiums in Aug if not soon after doesn't seem such a wild thought? 

Id hope by July for the start of next years Betfred cup or the summer Scottish cup depending on how they do this.

Is the big issue going to be the old firm and the fact they draw fans from all over the place, everyone else should be able to have home fans only and cope within their stadiums but ideally id love to see a return of fans home and away 

• 2 weeks later...

Newspapers reported this morning that despite the green light the club's may not start playing again anyway. 

Apparently not keen to pay for the testing after all despite their signed letter they demanding they be allowed play again. 

Did they not do enough research to identify how much that would really cost? Were they only really keen on using cheaper unapproved testing methods? Were they pressured to sign it or just attention seeking arseholes who wanted who have wasted everyone's time?

The likes of Stenny chairman crying constantly about poor leadership at the SPFL & SFA. If true it's the club's this morning need to be having a serious long look at themselves. Why not have these conversations or raise your objections before the gov expend time and effort to investigate and approve request etc?

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

• Lex changed the title to COVID-19 In Scottish Football

Almost two years since COVID’s first affected Scottish football, it’s still having an impact.
Dundee Utd fielded their reserve team against Rangers due to positive tests at the weekend, St Mirren are recalling youth players from loans at lowland league clubs in order to get a team out against Celtic tomorrow for the same reason.

More societal restrictions seem inevitable, and we all know the first thing Nicola will go after is the football. Would be surprised if there were crowds allowed in for the Boxing Day and new year fixtures. What now? Call the winter break early and hope we can get fans back in for the spring and jam loads of games in then? 

52 minutes ago, Lex said:

Almost two years since COVID’s first affected Scottish football, it’s still having an impact.
Dundee Utd fielded their reserve team against Rangers due to positive tests at the weekend, St Mirren are recalling youth players from loans at lowland league clubs in order to get a team out against Celtic tomorrow for the same reason.

More societal restrictions seem inevitable, and we all know the first thing Nicola will go after is the football. Would be surprised if there were crowds allowed in for the Boxing Day and new year fixtures. What now? Call the winter break early and hope we can get fans back in for the spring and jam loads of games in then? 

Further football restrictions may be/likely will be coming, but don't think you're right in suggesting it'll be the first thing she goes for. I haven't checked back myself so open to be corrected, but was football not given easings on restrictions before a lot of other hospitality sub-sectors? 

3 minutes ago, JamieThomas said:

Farewell St Johnstone, welcome Arbroath.

Wouldn't even complain about it tbh, we deserve relegated just now. I don't think we've reached the 75% of games played threshold yet so we'll likely get delicious meltdowns from Hearts/Partick fans to keep us warm if it does happen and we stay up.

I'm at the point where I kind of what the season cancelled if fans aren't allowed. Its just so, so, shit watching games on your laptop every week with stadiums empty.

8 minutes ago, stu92 said:

Further football restrictions may be/likely will be coming, but don't think you're right in suggesting it'll be the first thing she goes for. I haven't checked back myself so open to be corrected, but was football not given easings on restrictions before a lot of other hospitality sub-sectors? 

Yes, my memory has it that football was given almost favoured status because of its importance to the nation’s psyche.

That was my take too. Top flight sport, including football, has been given way more leeway than most other sections of employment.
Hospitality has been hammered.
I'm not a massive fan of a lot of what the SG has done e.g. Covid passports used as a blunt tool to try and up the vaccine numbers but to suggest they have a vandetta against football is laughable.
If they really did, yesterdays cup final would have been axed and they would have used the arrival of Omicron to shutdown football 2 weeks back.

16 minutes ago, ropy said:

Yes, my memory has it that football was given almost favoured status because of its importance to the nation’s psyche.

If "its importance to the nation's psyche" is a euphemism for "Scottish politicians' fear of alienating a significant block of voters" then I agree. 

Edited by Game of throw-ins

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Bin Cup replays and make a calculated gamble on Celtic and Rangers* going out of Europe.

That frees up plenty of midweeks to postpone the next 3 rounds, in the hope that a month from now things have calmed down enough to get fans back.

I think the lower leagues have enough midweeks to postpone the next 5 rounds. 

13 minutes ago, The Master said:

Bin Cup replays and make a calculated gamble on Celtic and Rangers* going out of Europe.

That frees up plenty of midweeks to postpone the next 3 rounds, in the hope that a month from now things have calmed down enough to get fans back.

I think the lower leagues have enough midweeks to postpone the next 5 rounds. 

Cup replays are already gone as of this round.

Edited by Ginaro