Scotland Squad face November

Craigieboy86

3 hours ago, velo army said:

I for one am excited for the pace still to come into this team. We were good on the counter last night, we've got a shitload of pace in Forrest, Burke and Christie to come in, as well as the drive and late runs of Armstrong. I'm actually looking forward to WC qualification this time around.

Unless Clarke decides to deploy Forrest at RWB, none of the above will be in the starting XI. Fraser, McGinn and Dykes have got the 3 attacking berths wrapped up.

7 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Unless Clarke decides to deploy Forrest at RWB, none of the above will be in the starting XI. Fraser, McGinn and Dykes have got the 3 attacking berths wrapped up.

I could see Clarke moving McGinn into a deeper box-to-box role and putting Armstrong or Christie at 10. 

Kinda hope that's what he does as well tbh. 

7 minutes ago, Zazu said:

I could see Clarke moving McGinn into a deeper box-to-box role and putting Armstrong or Christie at 10. 

Kinda hope that's what he does as well tbh. 

I doubt it. McGinn is Clarkes' no.10.

Only the sort of move we'd see if chasing a game imho.

3 hours ago, Binos said:

Can't see how can change the three centre halfs, regardless who's available in November

Because the players who missed out are superior players.  You absolutely have to play your best team, irrespective of how the depleted team fared.  For guys like Gallagher and Considine, that might be harsh on the surface, but these guys have probably played more international football than they ever thought possible.

And, of course, the likelihood of everyone being fit is minimal.

I can’t see Steve Clarke wanting to change the squad too much seen it’s getting results, but I suppose the COVID three could return even though the players he’s brought in have done well. However, if injuries take their toll between now and November 12th, I’d like to see the likes of Lewis Ferguson and Fraser Hornby from the U21s get a shot. If Leigh Griffiths hits some form again, maybe consider him?

4 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I can’t see Steve Clarke wanting to change the squad too much seen it’s getting results, but I suppose the COVID three could return even though the players he’s brought in have done well. However, if injuries take their toll between now and November 12th, I’d like to see the likes of Lewis Ferguson and Fraser Hornby from the U21s get a shot. If Leigh Griffiths hits some form again, maybe consider im

18 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Because the players who missed out are superior players.  You absolutely have to play your best team, irrespective of how the depleted team fared.  For guys like Gallagher and Considine, that might be harsh on the surface, but these guys have probably played more international football than they ever thought possible.

Who missed out who is superior? If we’ve found a team that gets results why change it?

Just now, Scary Bear said:

Who missed out who is superior? If we’ve found a team that gets results why change it?

Cooper and Tierney are better options than Gallagher and Considine for the back 3.  I don't really see how that can be disputed tbh. 

29 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

The best team isn’t necessarily made up of the best players.  It’s all about combinations and partnerships.

1 minute ago, Zazu said:

Cooper and Tierney are better options than Gallagher and Considine for the back 3.  I don't really see how that can be disputed tbh. 

They play for better clubs, I wouldn’t dispute that. Tierney is a left back and Robertson is already there. Would you play him at right back or are you thinking centre back? Cooper hasn’t really shone for Scotland yet but I suppose he’s only had a few caps.

Breaking up a winning team is fine as long you keep winning.

36 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Wrong

You play a winning team

Sorry, caveat, minus Stephen O'Donnell please

Edited by Binos

8 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

They play for better clubs, I wouldn’t dispute that. Tierney is a left back and Robertson is already there. Would you play him at right back or are you thinking centre back? Cooper hasn’t really shone for Scotland yet but I suppose he’s only had a few caps.

Breaking up a winning team is fine as long you keep winning.

Tierney plays on the left of a back three for his club.

25 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Cooper, Tierney, (arguably) McKenna and Palmer.

I'd have Tierney on the bench, but I'd definitely make a case for the other three coming straight back in.  Over one or two games, I would agree with you, but over the long term, guys like Gallagher and Considine are going to get found out at some point.  I might even suggest that's what has happened with McKenna.  Look at the absolute muppets who played at left back for Scotland over the years, Dixon, et al.  One or two games they did okay, but eventually got shown up.

For once, Craig Levein and Willie Miller brought up the idea that Clarke might change the back three dependent on the opposition.  You want somebody like Tierney if you want a bit more control on the ball, or pace, and you play McKenna or Gallagher for presence against a big lineup.  For someone like Considine, he's not as strong as McKenna and he's not as quick or composed as Tierney.  He's the one who misses out, in my eyes.

This isn't club football. Momentum is less of a thing in international football.  But all this is moot, as at least two of those six centre backs will get injured/coronavirus.

Edited by Savage Henry

It’s a difficult one for Steve Clarke. You’d expect he would want Robertson and Tierney as the full backs if they’re both fit, which would mean dropping Taylor and O’Donnell. Of the 3 Centre backs, who plays? Clarke seems to like McTominay so he’s guaranteed a place at centre back, alongside 2 others. Gallagher seems to be in favour, which leaves one other space.

4 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

It’s a difficult one for Steve Clarke. You’d expect he would want Robertson and Tierney as the full backs if they’re both fit, which would mean dropping Taylor and O’Donnell. Of the 3 Centre backs, who plays? Clarke seems to like McTominay so he’s guaranteed a place at centre back, alongside 2 others. Gallagher seems to be in favour, which leaves one other space.

Yup.  Robertson, McTominay, and (probably) Gallagher are the obvious ones to start.  I say probably, because I don't know where McKenna stands at this point.  He looked pretty awful of late, but he appeared to be a first choice. Then you go with one of Cooper or Tierney on the left of the three, and one of Palmer and O'Donnell at right back.  Personally, I don't think Tierney on the right of a five works, so I'd go with Palmer.

Edited by Savage Henry

9 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Cooper, Tierney, (arguably) McKenna and Palmer.

I'd have Tierney on the bench, but I'd definitely make a case for the other three coming straight back in.  Over one or two games, I would agree with you, but over the long term, guys like Gallagher and Considine are going to get found out at some point.  I might even suggest that's what has happened with McKenna.  Look at the absolute muppets who played at left back for Scotland over the years, Dixon, et al.  One or two games they did okay, but eventually got shown up.

For once, Craig Levein and Willie Miller brought up the idea that Clarke might change the back three dependent on the opposition.  You want somebody like Tierney if you want a bit more control on the ball, or pace, and you play McKenna or Gallagher for presence against a big lineup.  For someone like Considine, he's not as strong as McKenna and he's not as quick or composed as Tierney.  He's the one who misses out, in my eyes.

I haven’t been watching much of the EPL games. If Tierney plays on the left side of a back three for Arsenal, then I’d imagine he’ll have a good shout for the same position with Scotland. You haven’t mentioned McTominay and he seems to be favoured as one part of the back three at the moment. Do you think he’ll still be there in November? 

Apologies, I see you mention McTominay in your next post.

Edited by Scary Bear