A-League and Australia Cup 2024/25

Eednud

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Eednud said:

The Australia Cup Final on October 7 is between Sydney FC and Brisbane Roar at a venue tbc. This will be Roar’s first final appearance with Sydney winning in 2017 in between losing the 2016 and 2018 finals. 

Are you sure about the date? I thought it I'd heard it was to be Monday 2nd?

6 minutes ago, Eednud said:

You could be right as it’s a holiday in both states. I just went with what was on the cup wiki page.

You are correct. This from the Australia Cup website. I'd read multiple posts on Twitter suggesting that the AFL, League Grand Finals and the Aus Cup Final were all this weekend.

image.thumb.png.a0507004b02d42468096b287c7e3774d.png

5 minutes ago, Swarley said:

You are correct. This from the Australia Cup website. I'd read multiple posts on Twitter suggesting that the AFL, League Grand Finals and the Aus Cup Final were all this weekend.

image.thumb.png.a0507004b02d42468096b287c7e3774d.png

Shouldn’t be many issues with stadium availability in Brisbane or Sydney as NPL season finished and QRL and NSWRL Grand Finals are over and done with.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Eednud said:

Are you going to the Final tonight?

Nah decided not to. My daughter is at a birthday party and I couldn't be arsed going by myself. 

Mon the Sydney, in aboot these banana benders. 

On 29/08/2023 at 22:52, Eednud said:

The No. 7 who crossed the ball for the winner is called Hamish Gow, guessing some Scottish connection. The goal was scored by Ren Nagamatsu who probably doesn’t have any Scottish connection.

P&Bs favourite NPL player awarded the Mike Cockerill Medal for best non professional player in this season's Australia Cup. 

https://twitter.com/AustraliaCup/status/1710571384316010532?t=eJBNzVLYDkRDk9FdiCvVrw&s=19

Edited by Swarley

Opening round of the A-League Women today and there looks to be a reasonable crowd at the first game in Gosford for the F3 Derby between Central Coast Mariners and Newcastle Jets. Hopefully this is a spin off from the WWC although it is also the Mariners return to the league after leaving at the end of the second season in 2009. Sydney v WSW at Allianz later on then Perth Glory v Western United. Tomorrow Wellington Phoenix v Melbourne City, Adelaide United v Canberra United and Melbourne Victory v Brisbane Roar. A-League Men starts on Friday.

• 2 weeks later...

After defeating last season’s Champions, Central Cost Mariners, 3-0 last week the Reds doubled that this week to thrash last season’s Premiers, Melbourne City 6-0 yesterday. Five of Adelaide’s goals scored by teenagers plus an own goal. Great start to the season but Melbourne Victory away next week will be tough as they have also started with 2 wins. Sydney FC need to dump Corica despite winning the Cup, after last week’s 0-2 home loss to MV they lost 0-3 away to the Roar. WSW scored 5 in the first half against are we really Western United which I think was mentioned as  the record number of goals in the first half of an A-League game but that was how it finished. CCM dudded out of a goal by shitey VAR in their 1-2 loss v Macarthur. Phoenix had a good 2-1 home victory in the distance derby against Perth Glory.

49 minutes ago, Eednud said:

After defeating last season’s Champions, Central Cost Mariners, 3-0 last week the Reds doubled that this week to thrash last season’s Premiers, Melbourne City 6-0 yesterday. Five of Adelaide’s goals scored by teenagers plus an own goal. Great start to the season but Melbourne Victory away next week will be tough as they have also started with 2 wins. Sydney FC need to dump Corica despite winning the Cup, after last week’s 0-2 home loss to MV they lost 0-3 away to the Roar. WSW scored 5 in the first half against are we really Western United which I think was mentioned as  the record number of goals in the first half of an A-League game but that was how it finished. CCM dudded out of a goal by shitey VAR in their 1-2 loss v Macarthur. Phoenix had a good 2-1 home victory in the distance derby against Perth Glory.

Melby City, Sydney and CCM was not the bottom three I think anyone expected. Wooden Spoon 3 Pointer next week with City v Sydney.

1 hour ago, Swarley said:

Melby City, Sydney and CCM was not the bottom three I think anyone expected. Wooden Spoon 3 Pointer next week with City v Sydney.

Don’t think being in Asia helping MCY or CCM although Macarthur not so much. Week after it’s Adelaide v Sydney on Remembrance Day.

Edited by Eednud

Can't see Corica lasting the season at Sydney if these performances go on. The goodwill from the Cup win will only last so long. The signs were there last week that if the first XI don't fire then there is nothing on the bench that can change a game. Same this week. 

Melbourne City FC and its Men’s Head Coach, Rado Vidosic, have mutually agreed to bring to an end Vidosic’s coaching tenure with immediate effect.

The Men’s Head Coach role will be taken up for the remainder of the 2023/24 season by Aurelio Vidmar. Vidmar brings a wealth of football knowledge and experience, both as a player and coach.

He has played at the highest level in Australia, Europe and 44 times for the Socceroos. His coaching career began at Adelaide United, before he joined Ange Postecoglou as his assistant with the Socceroos team that won the Asian Cup in 2015. He has most recently been coaching in Thailand where he won the Thai Champions Cup in 2021 with BG Pathum United.